Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ryle 49 Highlands 34

Featured Replies

Highlands probably shot 25% and got out rebounded badly and lost every loose ball. It was the worst game I have seen them play in years. Ryle made HHS play half court offense and it seems the only shot in the half court offense is a layup. I thought Ryle played very well in all aspects of the game.

  • Replies 38
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've commented to several people this year from middle school (understandably so) all the way through high school the trend now for the coach to call a play every trip down the floor. What is practice for? I agree with Catbird's observation not only for this game but most games about over coaching. Kid's are not allowed to play, think, and adjust on their own. They turn the ball over because they are trying to run the play (which many times the opponent knows) because they are afraid the coach will pull them if they don't. After countless hours of practice if the kids can't make a trip down the floor once in awhile without a coaches input maybe the coach needs to re-evaluate his techniques.

 

I've also noticed overcoaching by certain coaches. Sometimes you just have to turn them loose and let them play. There are certain kids/players who have had success at every level and in every situation leading up to high school. Why not let them play the way they know how to? There will be some mistakes but also a lot of nice plays. There is no need to micromanage players that have a lot of talent and try to constrain them to run particular plays/system all of the time. They start to play like robots and are afraid to make a mistake or turnover, lest they get pulled out. It also causes a lot of hesitancy/lack of confidence in their game. They try to run the play the coach calls, regardless of whether it is there, and they try to force the ball, often causing turnovers for which they get pulled. If they don't run the play as the coach instructs, they are pulled. The system and plays needs to be fit to the players' talens, not the other way around.

I've also noticed overcoaching by certain coaches. Sometimes you just have to turn them loose and let them play. There are certain kids/players who have had success at every level and in every situation leading up to high school. Why not let them play the way they know how to? There will be some mistakes but also a lot of nice plays. There is no need to micromanage players that have a lot of talent and try to constrain them to run particular plays/system all of the time. They start to play like robots and are afraid to make a mistake or turnover, lest they get pulled out. It also causes a lot of hesitancy/lack of confidence in their game. They try to run the play the coach calls, regardless of whether it is there, and they try to force the ball, often causing turnovers for which they get pulled. If they don't run the play as the coach instructs, they are pulled. The system and plays needs to be fit to the players' talens, not the other way around.

 

If a high school coach could recruit his own players, then I would agree with you, but I think it's unrealistic to ask a coach to change his system constantly to fit player's styles. Most kids know by middle school what system/style their high school coach runs. IMO, if they feel their style is not a good fit, then they should find a new school/coach to play for that better suits their talent.

If a high school coach could recruit his own players, then I would agree with you, but I think it's unrealistic to ask a coach to change his system constantly to fit player's styles. Most kids know by middle school what system/style their high school coach runs. IMO, if they feel their style is not a good fit, then they should find a new school/coach to play for that better suits their talent.

 

Kinda difficult for kids at the middle and high school levels to just pick and choose which school they attend. :idunno:

Kinda difficult for kids at the middle and high school levels to just pick and choose which school they attend. :idunno:

 

Happens on a regular basis. Wasn't really talking about middle school. I simply meant that when a kid is in MS, he already knows everything he needs to about the high school that he will be feeding into. I can think of many examples of kids changing high schools after middle school for both football and bb. Girls & Boys.

Changing schools is not easy for most families.

 

I think good coaches know how to adapt to their talent and to game situations.

 

College coaches can recruit players to fit their system. High school coaches need to be flexible to deal with what talent they have to work with.

Well, it certainly didn't take long for Coach Flynn's honeymoon to end with the fans.

 

Reading way too much into the comments.

 

The team played poorly last night. HHS fans not accustomed to watching such a lackluster effort. Teams go through stretches in games where the coach needs to make adjustments or subs that get things back on track. Last night's bad stretch lasted all 4 qtrs.

 

I think most fans are extremely pleased with the job Flynn is doing and the direction of the program. Tonight will be a big game to see how Coach Flynn adjusts and how the players respond to the criticism.

:thumb:

 

Great but makes sure you put the emphasis on having fun :banana: at the 3rd grade level and NOT get to caught up on winning championships. Make it fun for them first then the championship will come later. Give them lots of love... tell them what a great job they're doing even if they're playing bad and please, please don't put so much emphasis on winning. We're ruining our youth sports by placing so much emphasis on "winning" and not competing and having FUN.

 

 

GOOD LUCK with your "Baby Birds" :dancingpa

 

FYI- I peeled that of a water cooler after my son's baseball team won a City Championship. The Coaches were Steve Roller, Chris Collinsworth, and Al Watson... I sure they swiped it from "The Master" Coach Dale Mueller:ylsuper:

 

 

I agree wholeheartedly. I always tell my boys that I want to see them smiling on the court and having fun. I tell them that I want shots, shots and more shots on goal. Its a ton of fun at this level.

Reading way too much into the comments.

 

m.

 

So its just Catbird?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.