January 5, 201016 yr So you are a UT fan calling Cousins a thug with 4 of your teams players arrested? Am I understanding this correctly? He isn't a UT fan.
January 5, 201016 yr IMO, you don't earn the title "thug" on the basketball court. You earn that off the court. Real "thugs" in real life wouldn't call Cousins a "thug" because of his on the court actions. Immature, childish, physical, bully....sure. "Thug", not hardly. Those 4 basketball players and 3 football players that got arrested at UT are more worthy of the name "thug" than Cousins is. I think the word "thug" gets thrown around too loosely when describing basketball players these days.
January 5, 201016 yr IMO, you don't earn the title "thug" on the basketball court. You earn that off the court. Real "thugs" in real life wouldn't call Cousins a "thug" because of his on the court actions. Immature, childish, physical, bully....sure. "Thug", not hardly. Those 4 basketball players and 3 football players that got arrested at UT are more worthy of the name "thug" than Cousins is. I think the word "thug" gets thrown around too loosely when describing basketball players these days. To me how you play the game no the court says a lot about who you are off the court most of the time. The UT players are definitely more deserving of the title than Cousins though. Both the football robbers and the basketball drug dealers.
January 5, 201016 yr Author To me how you play the game no the court says a lot about who you are off the court most of the time. The UT players are definitely more deserving of the title than Cousins though. Both the football robbers and the basketball drug dealers. Cousins is a totally different person off the court from what I've seen and read.
January 5, 201016 yr To me how you play the game no the court says a lot about who you are off the court most of the time. I disagree wholeheartedly. Athletic events are always emotionally charged and often times the athletes act under those emotions / adrenaline. To form an opinion on one's character based on a few heated basketball games is dangerous, shallow & narrow-minded, IMO. Sure, in some instances you may be able to get a feel for what they're like, but that is the exception, IMO. It'd be different if his teammates & coaches didn't like Cousins. You never hear anything negative about the way he interacts with his teammates or the media. It's always about his interactions with the opposing team, most of whom try to get inside his head and are always very physical with him.
January 5, 201016 yr I disagree wholeheartedly. Athletic events are always emotionally charged and often times the athletes act under those emotions / adrenaline. To form an opinion on one's character based on a few heated basketball games is dangerous, shallow & narrow-minded, IMO. Sure, in some instances you may be able to get a feel for what they're like, but that is the exception, IMO. It'd be different if his teammates & coaches didn't like Cousins. You never hear anything negative about the way he interacts with his teammates or the media. It's always about his interactions with the opposing team, most of whom try to get inside his head and are always very physical with him. He needs to learn how to channel that adrenaline and emotion then, it can be used as a weapon in a good way instead of a negative way. As it stands right now he comes across as a hot head, and it's hard for me to not think Cousins wouldn't have the exact same reaction if someone smarted off to him public (he probably wouldn't forearm them to the head, but I could see him smarting off to them). It just seems to me if you would do it with the cameras and lights right in your face you would do it more when those things aren't there. And that goes for all athletes not just Cousins.
January 5, 201016 yr Author He needs to learn how to channel that adrenaline and emotion then, it can be used as a weapon in a good way instead of a negative way. As it stands right now he comes across as a hot head, and it's hard for me to not think Cousins wouldn't have the exact same reaction if someone smarted off to him public (he probably wouldn't forearm them to the head, but I could see him smarting off to them). It just seems to me if you would do it with the cameras and lights right in your face you would do it more when those things aren't there. And that goes for all athletes not just Cousins. Some athletes just can't seem to function or play well without that emotion. I think John McEnroe is a perfect example.
January 5, 201016 yr I disagree wholeheartedly. Athletic events are always emotionally charged and often times the athletes act under those emotions / adrenaline. To form an opinion on one's character based on a few heated basketball games is dangerous, shallow & narrow-minded, IMO. Sure, in some instances you may be able to get a feel for what they're like, but that is the exception, IMO. It'd be different if his teammates & coaches didn't like Cousins. You never hear anything negative about the way he interacts with his teammates or the media. It's always about his interactions with the opposing team, most of whom try to get inside his head and are always very physical with him. :thumb: If we are talking about character, I haven't seen Boogie do anything close to an abortion. :sssh:
January 5, 201016 yr Some athletes just can't seem to function or play well without that emotion. I think John McEnroe is a perfect example. That's possibly true, I just hate to see players function like a McEnroe. Especially today when athletes are so exposed and kids see so much of what they do in everyday life.
January 5, 201016 yr Cousins is nothing more than another one in the long line of thugs to play for Calipari. I like the kid. Plays hard, has a good sense of humor. And after the incident with the inadvertent knee to the head and the forearm incident, he stayed within himself and didn't get rattled the remainder of the game. And it was a VERY physical game. 18 points and 18 rebounds was the main reason that UK won that game IMHO. I worried about him early, but now am starting to see some maturity setting in. As far as the 'thug' comment, ... what other incidents has Cousins been involved with? I haven't heard of any. I don't hear anything about off court problems, .. either before he came to UK or since. I don't see how the 'thug' comment is an accurate depiction of Cousins. I think he is learning quickly how to be a good teammate. I believe he was leading the 'John Wall' cheer when Wall set the single game UK assist record. And all of his teammates seem to love this guy.
January 5, 201016 yr I'm sorry I won't defend the UL player in the exchange, but I have seen nothing but childish/thugish behavior from Cousins this season. It has nothing to do with jealousy him and Patterson will be gone after this year and UK has not signed a big man yet for next year, so that will be a huge hole. He is a great at basketball, but he isn't a great basketball player because he lets his attitude get in the way too much right now. 15-0 is completely legit and I won't question that. I'm not hating on UK a team as much as Cousin's he is a straight up thug plain and simple. Him and the UL guy should have been gone from the replay. Powe also plays football so that is irrelevant to this conversation NHS, and for the record he can read he just "don't read to good." as his mother said. I can't defend that one at all, but the guy didn't give up and worked for 3 years to become eligible so I can't question his desire. But if you guys want to call me a hater and bring up football in a basketball conversation, I must ask when is the last time you beat Tennessee again? Wasn't it the U of L players that were screaming profanities in the hall before the game? Now that is maturity.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.