Should the B.O.C. and the author of each Prop hold open forums?

All Play No Work

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before Oct 20 should the Board of Control and each author of the Proposals hold an Open Forum so fans/students/parents can present ideas, thoughts, opinions on each proposal?

Maybe some BOC members in a series of forums in geographical areas or an open forum televised on KET?

It would be the best TV since the Campbell County board of education fired Sullivan on live TV. :banana:

Before Oct 20 should the Board of Control and each author of the Proposals hold an Open Forum so fans/students/parents can present ideas, thoughts, opinions on each proposal?

Maybe some BOC members in a series of forums in geographical areas or an open forum televised on KET?

I'm guessing some sponsers would have the guts to talk about some proposals in an open forum.

The simple answer is yes, but it won't happen. It would likely be ugly. I would like to see these sponsors present the reasons behind the proposals. Guru tried to get people to list the advantages these proposals are intended to eliminate. So far I have not seen them. It would be great to see them present the reasons. Keep in mind that disparate results are not evidence of an unfair advantage. From memory, the reasons I have seen listed are:

Private schools have no limits on attendance zones. Most public schools do. The answer is that the public schools have the option of eliminating their attendance zones and charging appropriate tuition for those outside their area. I don't see the private school advantage.

Private schools don't have to adhere to Title IX. Answer, Most private schools are coed, so even if the comment was correct, it would not apply to most private schools. Second, the boys and girls schools both have great sports programs. The same families are providing the resources and are funding the boys and girls very well, so I don't see it.

Private schools have family backing for their students that most public schools don't have. That may be true of some public schools, but it is not true of all public schools. Besides that, why would you want to punish parental support.

No. The representatives from each school should be trusted to do what is best and vote according to the views of their district. Each individual delegate can seek out opinions from the district/community they represent, if they so choose.

I would like to see them try to justify their votes in public. I think you would find most of them voting on results, not because any unfair advantage exists.

I agree that most will support it. I just don't think they would be able to justify it on any basis except they don't like the current results.

For the supporters of the private schools, I would agree. For the supporters of the public schools, they will feel that it is being justified beyond just the results of the playoffs. Each side will have their view and WILL not be ABLE to understand how the other side sees it different.

For the supporters of the private schools, I would agree. For the supporters of the public schools, they will feel that it is being justified beyond just the results of the playoffs. Each side will have their view and WILL not be ABLE to understand how the other side sees it different.

But again I ask, What are the justifications? Right now I see a set of rules that apply equally to both private and public schools. That looks fair to me. What about the current rules is unfair?

I proposed this thought on another thread and my thinking was simple, why are some of the proposals getting submitted.

Are they in the best interest of every KHSAA Member School, or simply a local rule that may favor the author's school.

To me a proposal of justifiable change, should not be limited to effecting the school which the author is from, but needs to address a problem that is rampant or outdated, not saying some of these aren't but I would like to hear the thought process which initiated these proposals.

I, however know that probably will not happen.