Johnson County to start a new Cal Ripken league

Rather than this so called division, I'd much rather see JC and Paintsville alike sink the money like that into a middle school program to be a feeder for the high school program. It seems the prime age for kids leaving a program is 13-15 year olds and that seems to be a concern. All-stars and league play seem to be not as interesting by this time, and 11-12 year olds seem the most interesting and the prime age for All-Stars. I know another issue brought up is the kids being left out at the All-Star level and not getting a chance then quitting when it comes to high school. I think the establishment of middle school teams on both behalves could be more beneficial than the start of the new league. Then the kids who didn't make all-stars, and don't get to play JV or Varsity while in middle school still get a shot at playing during this so called down time. I also understand that some kids don't reach their max potential until they're older, and a middle school team would seem to keep the kids' interest in the high school program. I'm thinking in a way for the kids of Johnson County's best interest. I've personally seen many kids, not make all-stars but gain friends for a life time from an opposing school and still enjoy playing. I have nothing against the start of the Cal Ripken league and I hope it can get off the ground as well as I hope the Paintsville league doesn't have to fold. Good Luck to both leagues!!!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the new league is going to be good for central.. All the years i played little league.. I had great friends i played with then when summer was over we went our seperate ways.. BUt some kids didnt the little league under paintsvilles name helped them get kids that use to go to central... I think that the people at central hope that this may keep some kids from going to Paintsville.

I think the new league is going to be good for central.. All the years i played little league.. I had great friends i played with then when summer was over we went our seperate ways.. BUt some kids didnt the little league under paintsvilles name helped them get kids that use to go to central... I think that the people at central hope that this may keep some kids from going to Paintsville.

Could you please enlighten us as to which kids you know of that went from Johnson Central to Paintsville because of Little League?

What has been said that makes it sound to you that it has already turned into a school league? This new league will be open to ALL children in JOHNSON COUNTY not just to kids that live in the county; it's open to the kids inside the city district as well. Heck they even said in the paper that a kid could choose to play both if he/she wanted to. This has been said over and over. Some of you can say this new Cal Ripken league will fail but IT WILL NOT FAIL and you can bank on that. There will be a Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth league in Johnson County come this spring. There is already enough financial backing that is pushing this project along and I can promise you that there is a whole lot more on the way. This new league will succeed I can promise you that.

There will be kids who will play in PLL just because they will go to PHS and the same for JCHS. It will happend and hopefully it doesn't become a system that is made up of entirely kids from the counbty vs. the kids from the city. I still think the leauge will fall.

There will be kids who will play in PLL just because they will go to PHS and the same for JCHS. It will happend and hopefully it doesn't become a system that is made up of entirely kids from the counbty vs. the kids from the city. I still think the leauge will fall.

If it becomes a city vs. county, then the PLL is in trouble. You know there are a lot of county that play in the PLL and if they are "influenced" to play in the Cal league PLL will lose a lot of players.

If it becomes a city vs. county, then the PLL is in trouble. You know there are a lot of county that play in the PLL and if they are "influenced" to play in the Cal league PLL will lose a lot of players.

That will happen. There are way to many kids in the county to keep a PLL if those kids want to be in the Cal leauge. What I really think will happen is that kids from the county will play in the Cal leauge and the less talented ones will play in the PLL. Making the PLL a weaker leauge. But who knows this leauge may flop.

According to the Paintsville Herald-

New board members for Paintsville Little League are:

1. Bob Lyons

2. John Doug Miller

3. Lance Daniel

4. Randy McCarty

5. Bob VanHoose

6. Wayne Arrowood

7. Tod Scarberry

8. Matt Williams

9. Joe Sloan

10. Tucker Howard

11. Jack Salyer

12. Bryan Auxier

13. Edsel Preece

14. Craig Ratliff

15. Brad Frisby

16. Bryan Sublett

you mean parents of 13 paintsville and 3 Johnson County, right?
No, they are Little League Board Members and not about just from one school.I know some were on the board, when they were at different schools than they are now.That is the problem with some,Little League doesn't care what school you go to.If you are there to coach,cheer or play,it is for any kid from Johnson County.