Johnson County to start a new Cal Ripken league

That is rediculous. Let em, they have tried before and were not succesful, and I dont think this would be any different. Although last time the Johnson County Leauge wasn't under any national control.
I heard someone you know with the league say, he wishes it would quit being about city and county for some adults.The players don't ever talk about it and get along awesome.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no Johson County League that was started in 1997. There was a Connie Mack league that was started around 1997 but it was played at Charlie Adkins field.
Didn't the county start a bambeano league and play out in the plaza years ago.I heard that.

Didn't the county start a bambeano league and play out in the plaza years ago.I heard that.

Yes A2000 Johnson County had a Bambino/Babe Ruth Charter for a long time before it folded in the early to mid 90's. I'm not sure but I think this league lasted between 10-15 years.

There was no Johson County League that was started in 1997. There was a Connie Mack league that was started around 1997 but it was played at Charlie Adkins field.

I am not talking about that, Im talking about the teams that were 11-12 and they were the Johnson County Leauge.

I am not talking about that, Im talking about the teams that were 11-12 and they were the Johnson County Leauge.

In my previous post I said that Johnson County had a Bambino/Babe Ruth charter for a long time. They had t-ball, coach pitch, 9-10, 11-12, and 13-15. There was NO county league that started in 1997.

I know Little League was ages 13-15 until 1999,when Paintsville hosted the first ever junior league state tournament.Didn't Babe Ruth used to be 13-15 years ago.Not sure when Bambiino was started and for what age.

The age group in the Johnson County Babe Ruth league was 13-15. The age group for the Johnson County Bambino league was 5-12. I'm not sure when the bambino league was started but I know for a fact that there was a Johnson County Bambino league in 1986 and they continued to be a league until the mid 90's. I'm not sure if it was the same league but there was a county league at Oil Springs in the late 70's and early 80's as well. Does anyone know if those two leagues were the same? I believe they were so if that’s the case you had a Johnson County league that lasted about 15 years or longer.

I said there was a Connie Mack league that was started in Paintsville 1997 but the more I think about it I belive it was a Mickey Mantle league. Does anyone know for sure?

There was a Johnson County League years ago that was Babe Ruth. It was for ages 13-15. There were no leagues here for older kids after Little League so after your 12 year old year, you played Babe Ruth. I am not sure when it folded, but I think it was close to the time or maybe a few years befor Paintsville Little League started having leagues for older kids. The Bambino League was formed in the mid 80's and lasted around 10-12 years. It was a very good league that had players from both Paintsville and Johnson Co. It was not County exclusive, and that subject never came up,....ever!

The Bambino League started out as a 9-12 year old league and had 8-10 teams! Around 1988 or 89 They decided to make the league, 9-10's and 11-12's. This IMO is what led to the fall of the league.

As long as they don't try and pit County against City, then the Cal Ripkin L. will do well. But I still would rather see a combined effort for a single , great league.

There was some baseball played at Johnson Central for the younger kids in about 1997. It was played after the little league season was over and while All Stars were going on. It did not coinside with LL play. It was really not a league just some games organized by a couple of guys just wanting to let some kids play a little baseball, since All Star competion did not include about 80% of the LL participants. It was open to all who wanted to play, just as the Cal Ripken League will be.

There was a Johnson County League years ago that was Babe Ruth. It was for ages 13-15. There were no leagues here for older kids after Little League so after your 12 year old year, you played Babe Ruth. I am not sure when it folded, but I think it was close to the time or maybe a few years befor Paintsville Little League started having leagues for older kids. The Bambino League was formed in the mid 80's and lasted around 10-12 years. It was a very good league that had players from both Paintsville and Johnson Co. It was not County exclusive, and that subject never came up,....ever!

The Bambino League started out as a 9-12 year old league and had 8-10 teams! Around 1988 or 89 They decided to make the league, 9-10's and 11-12's. This IMO is what led to the fall of the league.

As long as they don't try and pit County against City, then the Cal Ripkin L. will do well. But I still would rather see a combined effort for a single , great league.

I may be wrong Sidelines but wasn't you a part of the Bambino league during the mid to late 80's?

I said there was a Connie Mack league that was started in Paintsville 1997 but the more I think about it I belive it was a Mickey Mantle league. Does anyone know for sure?

It was not really a Mickey Mantle League. It was for 16 and under kids. It consisted of one single team that basicly amounted to being basicly a travel team, that played similar aged teams around the eastern part of the state. The Mickey Mantle affiliation allowed them to play in an organized Mickey Mantle state tournament and World Series.Later on the same concept became a team that was eligible to play in the Connie Mack tournaments.