Johnson County to start a new Cal Ripken league

Well, Firebird, for the kid's sake I hope you are right. I think will just have to wait and see. I honestly hope that the prediction to have laid out does come true. I think this is only going to hurt both programs but we can agree to disagree. I just think the LL's track record for developing players for both schools speaks for itself. If this brings out new players then I am all for it. I don't think you will see many out of county folks come to Johnson County for baseball. I mean by this, folks from magoffin, martin, and Larwence, not city kids. I can just recall too many great players that came from the LL program to think it is not working. Harman, Slone, Castle,Banks,Simpkins,Blantons, all came from the LL. LL is why both of our programs are regional contenders every year and even state champs. I do not think this new program will promote more players in the long run. The kids that want to play are going to play. Those that do not, don't. So what are you going to do when you have 60 kids show up for baseball practice in the spring? Cut players? Have 3 JV teams? That will cause even for discouragement. Hopefully, I am completely wrong about this idea and both programs elevate to a even better stance in the state.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does two leagues have to mean a split in talent and a harm to both leagues? Paintsville has Junior Pro basketball and Johnson County has Pee Wee programs, Junior Pro and/or Buddy Basketball. All of these are independent of the school teams and both high school programs are successful. Paintsville has the city recreational league in football and they are successful. Johnson County is making strides to do the same in football. Prior to this year only 4th, 5th and 6th grades played elementary football and the 4th graders played their opponent at halftime in a scrimmage situation. Now they have two divisions, 3rd and 4th grades play on Saturday and 5th and 6th grades play on Tuesday. The more advanced 4th graders also play on the 5th and 6th grade team. It is remarkable how much this one move has increased talent and fan support. Prior to this happening people said that this was too young and no one would come out to support. Both were wrong. The same can be true for baseball. Many kids will play Cal Ripken that never would have played Little League. Is it really about the kids, the adults or the money.

I can not speak for everyone, but for me its about the kids. I want our programs to be the best in the state. I do not think dividing the talent will help our community. Hopefully I am wrong and both of our programs benefit from this move. I really hope the politics can stay out of this. I do not want it to become a Paintsville or Central type of deal. Sure everyone will be welcome to play in the Cal Ripken league, but politics may decide who plays where. Hopefully this is completely wrong...time will tell.

Well, Firebird, for the kid's sake I hope you are right. I think will just have to wait and see. I honestly hope that the prediction to have laid out does come true. I think this is only going to hurt both programs but we can agree to disagree. I just think the LL's track record for developing players for both schools speaks for itself. If this brings out new players then I am all for it. I don't think you will see many out of county folks come to Johnson County for baseball. I mean by this, folks from magoffin, martin, and Larwence, not city kids. I can just recall too many great players that came from the LL program to think it is not working. Harman, Slone, Castle,Banks,Simpkins,Blantons, all came from the LL. LL is why both of our programs are regional contenders every year and even state champs. I do not think this new program will promote more players in the long run. The kids that want to play are going to play. Those that do not, don't. So what are you going to do when you have 60 kids show up for baseball practice in the spring? Cut players? Have 3 JV teams? That will cause even for discouragement. Hopefully, I am completely wrong about this idea and both programs elevate to a even better stance in the state.
Of all the posters on BGP , I tend to look at you as one of the most knowledgeable and intelligent. I have nothing at all against LL. I think it has been great.There is not one thing that I can say negative about the league other than what I have already mentioned about the extreme all star emphasis, which I guess really may be a just a minor issue.I really wouldn't have a problem with that if league play was extended for all of the unchosen.There is certainly nothing I can say negative about any of the coaches or any of the directors of the league. You have to understand, I am not a disgruntled LL participant at all.I doubt that you will find a bigger supporter of the league than I have been over the years.I am just advocating the chance for more kids to play.For Johnson Central I feel this league is necessary to try to maximize the level of participation of our students in our own program. I think that the numbers that I gave concerning the senior classes for the next 3 years at JC speaks volumes about the decline in the participation level. JC has basicly sat back and just waited for outside organizations to develope its players. We are not going to be able to continue to do that to perform at the state level year after year.After you get to the final four, it is an empty feeling to go out in the first round of the district. Again you would just have to see how tremendously well the 3rd/4th grade football program is doing. The stands are packed every saturday.I certainly dont think that anyone ever fathomed how huge of a deal it has become. I think the new baseball league will be supported in the same manner.

As far as how many teams the high school can field if 60 players show up. JC is very capable of handling that many kids by having a full varsity roster, a JV team, and a true middle school team. Right now true middle schoolers will be a major factor in this upcoming seasons varsity roster. You are much too intellegent and rational to know that that should never be the case with a school as large and as facility blessed as JCHS.That could and should more or less be described as a disgrace.We just want to change that.

As far as the LL proving that it has been a viable program with past particpants, I think you can add the names of Brown,Hall,Kinner, Collett,Turner,and Pack as well, just over the last few years. The list could just go on and on and on. I realize that there will be some to wish to stay in the Paintsville LL program, and that is not a problem. Just so these kids are playing somewhere.Hopefully both will be successful.

As I have stated before I think you look at things objectively and I trust your opinion more than others. If this new league helps out the community then I am all for it. If this brings more baseball to the Paintsville area, then that is great. Heck, I love watching baseball at that level. I just don't want it to turn into a "if you go this school, then you have to play in this league."

Burgess only played when he was 12. How did he play on more than one? If Trimble and Sturgill played on more than one it was only 2. Hardly were they in the perennial category.

Steven may have only played on one but Timble played his 10 year old year and didn't make it his 12 year old year but Adam Davis broke his arm and Trimble filled the spot. I though Burgess was the backup catcher when they won state for 9-10???

As I have stated before I think you look at things objectively and I trust your opinion more than others. If this new league helps out the community then I am all for it. If this brings more baseball to the Paintsville area, then that is great. Heck, I love watching baseball at that level. I just don't want it to turn into a "if you go this school, then you have to play in this league."

It sounds to me like it already has tunred into a SCHOOL leauge program. I would hate to have two leagues that only consist of the players from those schools. Some of my best friends in life were on my little league team. RNC you could say the same. The memories you aquire playing little league will stay with you forever.

It sounds to me like it already has tunred into a SCHOOL leauge program. I would hate to have two leagues that only consist of the players from those schools. Some of my best friends in life were on my little league team. RNC you could say the same. The memories you aquire playing little league will stay with you forever.

Very true, Cianni. Our rivalry with Central is good enough as it is, I hope this doesn't turn things bitter.

What has been said that makes it sound to you that it has already turned into a school league? This new league will be open to ALL children in JOHNSON COUNTY not just to kids that live in the county; it's open to the kids inside the city district as well. Heck they even said in the paper that a kid could choose to play both if he/she wanted to. This has been said over and over. Some of you can say this new Cal Ripken league will fail but IT WILL NOT FAIL and you can bank on that. There will be a Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth league in Johnson County come this spring. There is already enough financial backing that is pushing this project along and I can promise you that there is a whole lot more on the way. This new league will succeed I can promise you that.

What has been said that makes it sound to you that it has already turned into a school league? This new league will be open to ALL children in JOHNSON COUNTY not just to kids that live in the county; it's open to the kids inside the city district as well. Heck they even said in the paper that a kid could choose to play both if he/she wanted to. This has been said over and over. Some of you can say this new Cal Ripken league will fail but IT WILL NOT FAIL and you can bank on that. There will be a Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth league in Johnson County come this spring. There is already enough financial backing that is pushing this project along and I can promise you that there is a whole lot more on the way. This new league will succeed I can promise you that.

I hope it does do well. It may be "open to all" but you know and many others do as well politics will decide who plays where.