Newport Catholic 53 Boone County 52

Nice win for NCC. Boone started strong and looked lost offensively the 2nd through 4th quarters. Pangallo lit it up from 3 and finished as the game's high scorer with about 24 points, and Boone sat in a 2-3 zone most of that time. Boone missed a bunny with 8 seconds left that would have put Boone in the lead. Boone had maybe one person (Gabbard) in double figures. I think Boone was about 1 for 2 from three. They passed up at least one wide open three. Giesler also had a big game for NCC.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...Newcath is for real.

As Dicky V would say "Upset city babyyyyy!"

I kind of figured Boone wouldn't be as good as last year, but thought the only teams who would beat them would be Holmes, Highlands, and possibly Ryle.

Did Earls play tonight? I know he had been mentioned as being hurt earlier in the week?

Wow...Newcath is for real.

As Dicky V would say "Upset city babyyyyy!"

I kind of figured Boone wouldn't be as good as last year, but thought the only teams who would beat them would be Holmes, Highlands, and possibly Ryle.

Did Earls play tonight? I know he had been mentioned as being hurt earlier in the week?

Boone's personnel don't fit their half-court offensive system IMO. Earls had 6, Cotton about 4, and Montgomery about 8. Gabbard had about 20 or 22. Had 12 in the first quarter and cooled off afterward. Popp didn't play much and had 4. Earls Stayed outside most of the game. He missed an uncontested layup with 8 seconds left that would have put Boone up by one. Boone wins the game if they guard the 3-point shot.

Boone's personnel don't fit their half-court offensive system IMO. Earls had 6, Cotton about 4, and Montgomery about 8. Gabbard had about 20 or 22. Had 12 in the first quarter and cooled off afterward. Popp didn't play much and had 4. Earls Stayed outside most of the game. He missed an uncontested layup with 8 seconds left that would have put Boone up by one. Boone wins the game if they guard the 3-point shot.

Sounds like it was the Mike Gabbard and Grant Pangallo show tonight.

As far as your last sentence, you absolutely have to guard NCC outside. The 3 ball was the reason they blew Highlands out last year in the district tourney. Their outside shooting is what keeps them in a lot of games since they don't have much size other than Geisler.

Sounds like it was the Mike Gabbard and Grant Pangallo show tonight.

As far as your last sentence, you absolutely have to guard NCC outside. The 3 ball was the reason they blew Highlands out last year in the district tourney. Their outside shooting is what keeps them in a lot of games since they don't have much size other than Geisler.

You are dead on about NCC. Boone did not play good perimeter defense.

You are dead on about NCC. Boone did not play good perimeter defense.

I'm sure that will come as the season progresses. I don't think people realize how much Boone is going to miss Mcfarland, Brown, and Spaulding early on. All three were good offensive players but very strong defensive players, especially Brown.

It also sounds like other than Gabbard, Boone has struggled some offensively. I expected Cotton to have a breakout year this year. Is he still feeling the effects of that baseball injury he suffered over the summer?

I'm sure that will come as the season progresses. I don't think people realize how much Boone is going to miss Mcfarland, Brown, and Spaulding early on. All three were good offensive players but very strong defensive players, especially Brown.

It also sounds like other than Gabbard, Boone has struggled some offensively. I expected Cotton to have a breakout year this year. Is he still feeling the effects of that baseball injury he suffered over the summer?

Gabbard, Cotton, and Popp were all averaging double figures coming into the game. However, as a team, they struggle to score many points in the half court set. One thing that Boone did against W. Jessamine to stop the 3 was play a 3/2. They didn't try that tonight.