Newport Catholic 53 Boone County 52

Dunno. I think he could have been an asset to Boone at the end because of his FT shooting and defense.

Boone will be an AVERAGE team if they don't play Popp and Gabbard together. They are two of the best guards in NKY IMO. I've seen Popp defend and no way Pangallo hits 8 threes if he is gaurding him!

Unless he was sick or hurt, I'm scratching my head why Popp didn't play more in a close game?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boone will be an AVERAGE team if they don't play Popp and Gabbard together. They are two of the best guards in NKY IMO. I've seen Popp defend and no way Pangallo hits 8 threes if he is gaurding him!

Unless he was sick or hurt, I'm scratching my head why Popp didn't play more in a close game?

If I remember right, he had a few turnovers early. I know Pangallo stripped him once.

Popp missed practice Mon. night, last one before game. He was sick Mon. per Popp.

If I remember right, he had a few turnovers early. I know Pangallo stripped him once.

Yeah, I saw a couple. He seemed a little shaky with ball handling early but I thought played well the second time he came in. He had a couple of steals on defense. I think with Popp, he will sometimes have a couple of turnovers but will make up for it on the defensive end and in scoring.

I don't think rebounding was the issue in this game. It came down to guarding the threes, and Boone needs more balance and more than 1 person shooting/scoring on their own end.

Pangallo was the difference in the game. He lit them up from outside. Boone let him sit outside and shoot as many threes as he wanted, and Boone clearly had an overall size advantage inside, especially in the second half.

Boone tried pressing a couple of times, but Earls was at the front of the press, and it wasn't very effective. I guess it was because Lays was also in the game at the time?? Not exactly Boone's quickest players to run a press.

It looks like Boone is going to struggle offensively this year. In fact, most of their games seemed close last year. They seem to play deliberately and conservatively and be content to keep the game close.

It is an upset, but not a huge loss. One loss by 1 point isn't a big deal in itself. I'm concerned about the big picture offensively throughout the year. They miss McFarland's play making ability inside.[/QUOTE]

McFarland.........who's that ? :D JK !

:thumb: Also add for Popp to drive more. That is a big strength for him, and he is Boone's best free throw shooter. Also, have Cotton and Montgomery roam the baseline and run more designed alley-oop plays to them.

What position is Montgomery playing? I always thought he was a guard.

Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas is to have Boone Co play man to man pressure defense full court (the heck with the zone defense!!! Pressure, pressure, pressure) and run with the ball on offense to give their talented, athletic, smart baksetball players as many scoring oppurtunities as possible.

For one game, my present for the team would be > Gabbard - take the ball to the basket and shoot or pass it back out, Popp shoot threes until your arms hurt, Cotton and Montgomery - cut, slash and drive; Brown, get to the low block and look for the dump down, if you don't get it then go get a rebound, Earls run the court and go to the basket, if you want to go outside on occassion, ok, just don't make it a habit, we need you down low first. If anyone gets tired raise their hand and we'll bring in the next horse so you can catch your breath)

I know they are 3-1, however, they are a couple baskets away from 1-3!!! That for a #2 ranked team in N. Ky is not what I would have expected.

Can you please see what you can do? It's a shame to see this group of young men have to continue to play this deliberate style of offense.

If you can't give me/this team this gift, I don't know who they play next, however, my prediction is: 49 - 47.

Thanks,

Santa's already been to the ninth region he delivered your surprise to Ft. Thomas. Can't wait for the rubber match between Boone and Highlands:taz:

:dancingpa

Wow...Newcath is for real.

As Dicky V would say "Upset city babyyyyy!"

I kind of figured Boone wouldn't be as good as last year, but thought the only teams who would beat them would be Holmes, Highlands, and possibly Ryle.

Did Earls play tonight? I know he had been mentioned as being hurt earlier in the week?

I know that Earls has a tweaked ankle. However, he has played terribly in the 2 games he played in previous to this one. In the game against Ryle he looked lost, albeit, the first game of the season.

Did he play in this game? How did he do?

Boone's personnel don't fit their half-court offensive system IMO. Earls had 6, Cotton about 4, and Montgomery about 8. Gabbard had about 20 or 22. Had 12 in the first quarter and cooled off afterward. Popp didn't play much and had 4. Earls Stayed outside most of the game. He missed an uncontested layup with 8 seconds left that would have put Boone up by one. Boone wins the game if they guard the 3-point shot.

Sounds like Montgomery and Cotton are the 2 best players this season, after Gabbard of course. Montgomery is playing real well, as is Cotton.

I know that Earls has a tweaked ankle. However, he has played terribly in the 2 games he played in previous to this one. In the game against Ryle he looked lost, albeit, the first game of the season.

Did he play in this game? How did he do?

Scored 6 points, 5 rebounds. Giesler got the best of the Boone big men.

Sounds like Montgomery and Cotton are the 2 best players this season, after Gabbard of course. Montgomery is playing real well, as is Cotton.

Montgomery has the best all around stats so far (not huge scoring or assists but a contributor, and several nice blocks and rebounds), followed by Gabbard, Cotton, and Popp. Those four are the stat leaders for Boone so far.

Cotton is shooting about 50% from the field and scoring about 9 points a game. He hasn't been inside as much this year so far. He is mostly a catch and jump shooter. I don't think he has many assists or steals so far. Gabbard is averaging about 13 points after the last game, then Cotton and Popp are averaging about 8-9, then Montgomery about 7-8. Cotton is probably shooting the best percentage of the 4 so far. They need more production from Earls. If not, maybe, Brown will see more PT. They need more production inside, IMO to help open the outside up for the guards.