Newport Catholic 53 Boone County 52

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that will come as the season progresses. I don't think people realize how much Boone is going to miss Mcfarland, Brown, and Spaulding early on. All three were good offensive players but very strong defensive players, especially Brown.

It also sounds like other than Gabbard, Boone has struggled some offensively. I expected Cotton to have a breakout year this year. Is he still feeling the effects of that baseball injury he suffered over the summer?

Just don't see how you can keep Trevan Brown on the bench.:confused:

He can be a beast on the offensive boards.

Just don't see how you can keep Trevan Brown on the bench.:confused:

He can be a beast on the offensive boards.

I don't think rebounding was the issue in this game. It came down to guarding the threes, and Boone needs more balance and more than 1 person shooting/scoring on their own end.

Pangallo was the difference in the game. He lit them up from outside. Boone let him sit outside and shoot as many threes as he wanted, and Boone clearly had an overall size advantage inside, especially in the second half.

Boone tried pressing a couple of times, but Earls was at the front of the press, and it wasn't very effective. I guess it was because Lays was also in the game at the time?? Not exactly Boone's quickest players to run a press.

It looks like Boone is going to struggle offensively this year. In fact, most of their games seemed close last year. They seem to play deliberately and conservatively and be content to keep the game close.

It is an upset, but not a huge loss. One loss by 1 point isn't a big deal in itself. I'm concerned about the big picture offensively throughout the year. They miss McFarland's play making ability inside.

I don't think rebounding was the issue in this game. It came down to guarding the threes, and Boone needs more balance and more than 1 person shooting/scoring on their own end.

Pangallo was the difference in the game. He lit them up from outside. Boone let him sit outside and shoot as many threes as he wanted, and Boone clearly had an overall size advantage inside, especially in the second half.

Boone tried pressing a couple of times, but Earls was at the front of the press, and it wasn't very effective. I guess it was because Lays was also in the game at the time?? Not exactly Boone's quickest players to run a press.

It looks like Boone is going to struggle offensively this year. In fact, most of their games seemed close last year. They seem to play deliberately and conservatively and be content to keep the game close.

It is an upset, but not a huge loss. One loss by 1 point isn't a big deal in itself. I'm concerned about the big picture offensively throughout the year. They miss McFarland's play making ability inside.

Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas is to have Boone Co play man to man pressure defense full court (the heck with the zone defense!!! Pressure, pressure, pressure) and run with the ball on offense to give their talented, athletic, smart baksetball players as many scoring oppurtunities as possible.

For one game, my present for the team would be > Gabbard - take the ball to the basket and shoot or pass it back out, Popp shoot threes until your arms hurt, Cotton and Montgomery - cut, slash and drive; Brown, get to the low block and look for the dump down, if you don't get it then go get a rebound, Earls run the court and go to the basket, if you want to go outside on occassion, ok, just don't make it a habit, we need you down low first. If anyone gets tired raise their hand and we'll bring in the next horse so you can catch your breath)

I know they are 3-1, however, they are a couple baskets away from 1-3!!! That for a #2 ranked team in N. Ky is not what I would have expected.

Can you please see what you can do? It's a shame to see this group of young men have to continue to play this deliberate style of offense.

If you can't give me/this team this gift, I don't know who they play next, however, my prediction is: 49 - 47.

Thanks,

Nice WIN Breds!!!!! Here is the game in a nutshell. Pangallo scoring, Geisler rebounding, Derek Scmitt putting a handle on Gabbard in the 2nd half.:banana:

I think Derek is one of the most underrated players in the 9th. Not a big scorer but has improved a lot over the past few years and will make an impact for the Breds! He will be a great compliment to Pangallo up top and Geisler underneath.

As for the game...

How to handle the last 7 seconds.....

After getting the rebound from the missed free throw, and putting the ball in your PG's hands..... I know it is 50/50 on whether to call a timeout in that situation or not and each coach has their own opinion.

My thought is you have the ball in your point guards hands and players are spread out throughout the court. Why not let him (senior) go to the basket and make a play? Once the timeout was called, my first thought was that NCC still had a foul to give (5 team fouls) and they would use it when the ball got inbounded anyway and then you more than likely are inbounding the ball again with roughly two seconds left.

So, my questions are:

Do you agree with the timeout at 4 seconds with the ball at 3/4 court?

Do you agree with NCC not fouling when they still had a foul to give?

Just some things to banter.... Thoughts?

Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas is to have Boone Co play man to man pressure defense full court (the heck with the zone defense!!! Pressure, pressure, pressure) and run with the ball on offense to give their talented, athletic, smart baksetball players as many scoring oppurtunities as possible.

For one game, my present for the team would be > Gabbard - take the ball to the basket and shoot or pass it back out, Popp shoot threes until your arms hurt, Cotton and Montgomery - cut, slash and drive; Brown, get to the low block and look for the dump down, if you don't get it then go get a rebound, Earls run the court and go to the basket, if you want to go outside on occassion, ok, just don't make it a habit, we need you down low first. If anyone gets tired raise their hand and we'll bring in the next horse so you can catch your breath)

I know they are 3-1, however, they are a couple baskets away from 1-3!!! That for a #2 ranked team in N. Ky is not what I would have expected.

Can you please see what you can do? It's a shame to see this group of young men have to continue to play this deliberate style of offense.

If you can't give me/this team this gift, I don't know who they play next, however, my prediction is: 49 - 47.

Thanks,

:thumb: Also add for Popp to drive more. That is a big strength for him, and he is Boone's best free throw shooter. Also, have Cotton and Montgomery roam the baseline and run more designed alley-oop plays to them.

As for the game...

How to handle the last 7 seconds.....

After getting the rebound from the missed free throw, and putting the ball in your PG's hands..... I know it is 50/50 on whether to call a timeout in that situation or not and each coach has their own opinion.

My thought is you have the ball in your point guards hands and players are spread out throughout the court. Why not let him (senior) go to the basket and make a play? Once the timeout was called, my first thought was that NCC still had a foul to give (5 team fouls) and they would use it when the ball got inbounded anyway and then you more than likely are inbounding the ball again with roughly two seconds left.

So, my questions are:

Do you agree with the timeout at 4 seconds with the ball at 3/4 court?

Do you agree with NCC not fouling when they still had a foul to give?

Just some things to banter.... Thoughts?

Timeout was not called early enough. 3 seconds elapsed before timeout was called. If it is going to be called, call it earlier.

You've got to be kidding if you think rebounding was not the issue in this game. Rebounding has been the issue in most of Boone's games because they just don't have the kids on the floor that have that instinct. Second chance points by the opponents, and missed opportunity for put backs on the offensive boards does make a difference.

I don't see much coming from Boone if they continue to play this style of play. Yes, they have a nice group of senior guards, but they won't be able to ride that every game.

NCC had one Big Man in Geisler and McCreary did nothing to go after him on the offensive end, nor did he allow a player with size to guard him underneath.

Timeout was not called early enough. 3 seconds elapsed before timeout was called. If it is going to be called, call it earlier.

100% agree.

Wasn't a timeout called prior to the free throw by Boone?

Perhaps the stategy was to get the missed free throw (or inbound the ball), get the ball to mid court and then call a timeout. Then you can assess the situation.

Are you down 1 (missed front end)

Are you down 2 (missed the second free throw)

Are you down 3 (made both)

I'm ok with going that route with the timeout, however, I agree that it took to long to call it. I don't know if that is a coahing issue if the players couldn't get the ball to mid court quickly enough. I think the coaches waited as long as they could to get the ball to mid court and then finally had to just call the timeout when they did. I'm ok with that if the strategy was to call a time out.

I also agree with you on Popp going to the basket. I left him off with regard to that in the letter to Santa only because I think he is Boone's biggest 3 point threat and like him roaming around the line. But, yes, add him to the group of drivers/slashers. Especially with his free throw shooting ability. draw some fouls.

Anyway, I believe the offensive style Boone runs is going to hurt them in the long run this season. Just my opinion.

You've got to be kidding if you think rebounding was not the issue in this game. Rebounding has been the issue in most of Boone's games because they just don't have the kids on the floor that have that instinct. Second chance points by the opponents, and missed opportunity for put backs on the offensive boards does make a difference.

I don't see much coming from Boone if they continue to play this style of play. Yes, they have a nice group of senior guards, but they won't be able to ride that every game.

NCC had one Big Man in Geisler and McCreary did nothing to go after him on the offensive end, nor did he allow a player with size to guard him underneath.

Basically, I don't disagree with you. It has been an issue. I think Earls had about 6 rebounds, and Montgomery about 7, and Cotton several, so I think Boone did rebound better than they have been in most games. Cotton also tends to play away from the basket and take fade-away jumpers, so he isn't going to rebound a lot of his own missed shots. Brown stays down low and rebounds well when he is in. He did not play much last night. I don't know how many rebounds Giesler for NCC had. Boone again missed at least a few bunnies inside. Earls stayed outside on offense a good part of the game. Can't be a good offensive rebounder from out there.

Pangallo hit 6 3's, and NCC hit 8 total. W. Jessamine and Walton also both hit a bunch of threes.

I agree that Boone can't ride their guards, nor their big men. They need good balance, and they need to be able to take/knock down some outside shots to open up the inside game, and vice versa.

Even in Boone's victories, they haven't looked impressive so far. Hopefully, they get the kinks out before the important games come.