November 1, 200916 yr ^Especially when there are up and coming guys who have shown the ability to get the most out of their teams. As an UGA fan I think I"d feel better about a Petersen or BK coached team going forward than one lead by Richt. The guys like Meyer and Saban, can make the adjustments to win games that they shouldn't because of bad play. Is Richt that type of game changer? I think someone like Petersen is proven that his coaching can potentially be up to that kind of level.
November 2, 200916 yr Richt should be OK. However, his defensive coordinator, Martinez is probably going to hit the door. To be as talented as they are their defense is atrocious. Some have wondered if Richt is too nice to win in the SEC.
November 2, 200916 yr 9-3 10-2 8-4 10-2 9-2 10-3 56-13 overall That is Richt's record since the 2003 season on not counting the bowl games. Thats in the SEC!! He may need to make a change or 2, but hes an awfully good coach!
November 2, 200916 yr The man I compare Richt with did this: 60-15 1 MNC. Lost another one in OT, should have played for another but system picked another team over them. 2 Conference Championships Started out career 24 and 0. 4-2 in bowl games, with 4 BCS appearances (2-2) Did anyone think Coker was a good coach, even with one of the most impressive resumes in the country? Richt is about like that, IMO. A stable guy, but not the kind of guy that can make you elite. Some newspapers are already saying that UGA has become insignificant not just on the National Level, but even in the SEC East. UGA is UF's punching bag now, and that's one thing that can get you fired, as it is a rivalry. Last season was one of the worst coaching jobs of the last few years. With the exception of last year for Tubbs, he always did a good job. Auburn doesn't get as many big name guys as some of the other SEC schools, but they always ended up being competitive. Coker inherited what at the time was the best college football team in the country and turned it into a mediocre program. That actually sounds similiar to a certain basketball program that I know.
November 2, 200916 yr Coker inherited what at the time was the best college football team in the country and turned it into a mediocre program. That actually sounds similiar to a certain basketball program that I know. Coker underachieved. Richt underachieves.
November 3, 200916 yr Coker underachieved. Richt underachieves. Georgia is better with Richt as their coach then they were before he was their coach. 2 years ago Georgia went 10-2 and beat Florida. Now if they don't improve next year over what they are this year then maybe I could see some questioning, but now right now.
November 3, 200916 yr Georgia has an excellent coach in Richt. Good man and he will get the players and will be back towards the top of the SEC the best football conference period.
November 3, 200916 yr Georgia had won the SEC East something like once in the previous 12+ years before Richt. Since Richt took over, Georgia has won or tied for the SEC East four times, and have won the conference twice. Three BCS bowls, winning two of them. Richt's only crime is that he has not won a national championship at Georgia. He is not remotely comparable to Coker, who took over a program at the pinnacle and drove it straight to ground. Simple math with Coker will tell you that if he started 24-0 (took over the program at it's highest) and went 60-15, that he finished 36-15, which ain't all that great. Not to mention that things like on-field brawls by the team didn't endear him to anyone. There are very real reasons that Coker was fired, and he is not a good example of a coach that should be compared to Richt. Tuberville was a much better comparison. Unfortunately, Richt is on the hot seat because of the expectations at Georgia. Again, his only crime is that he hasn't won a national title, but Urban's transformation of Florida has made it extremely difficult on Georgia. I daresay many a coach and program would fare the same when playing in the same division as a team that has won 2 of 3 national titles and is competing for 3 of 4.
November 3, 200916 yr Absolutely. As for the last part of your post... shouldn't we credit Richt for that? Who recruits them? How many times do I have to say that coaching and recruiting are totally different. Ron Zook is a heck of a recruiter, few call him a good coach. :idunno: It tells me that you all bought into the preseason hype and QB/RB combo too much because last year was CLEARLY not his best team. Talent-wise he hasn't had a team like that. They had the #1 pick in the draft at QB, a mid-first rounder at HB, a future high pick in AJ Green, and talent on defense. No other team that he has had compared remotely to the amount of talent he had last year. Georgia had won the SEC East something like once in the previous 12+ years before Richt. Since Richt took over, Georgia has won or tied for the SEC East four times, and have won the conference twice. Three BCS bowls, winning two of them. Richt's only crime is that he has not won a national championship at Georgia. He is not remotely comparable to Coker, who took over a program at the pinnacle and drove it straight to ground. Simple math with Coker will tell you that if he started 24-0 (took over the program at it's highest) and went 60-15, that he finished 36-15, which ain't all that great. Not to mention that things like on-field brawls by the team didn't endear him to anyone. There are very real reasons that Coker was fired, and he is not a good example of a coach that should be compared to Richt. Tuberville was a much better comparison. Unfortunately, Richt is on the hot seat because of the expectations at Georgia. Again, his only crime is that he hasn't won a national title, but Urban's transformation of Florida has made it extremely difficult on Georgia. I daresay many a coach and program would fare the same when playing in the same division as a team that has won 2 of 3 national titles and is competing for 3 of 4. My point is that while Richt may be a good coach, he isn't good enough in the SEC. Sure all his stats look nice, but that was before Meyer and Saban, Les Miles was still catching on, etc. He is a major, MAJOR drop off from those three. He is a dropoff from Petrino as well, and probably Houston Nutt. Stats are stats, watching Richt though you can tell he is no where near the class of the elite coaches in the SEC. Georgia has the talent and recruiting base to be a title contender on a regular basis, he will never get them there though. Sometimes you have to aim a little higher, IMO.
November 3, 200916 yr How many times do I have to say that coaching and recruiting are totally different. Ron Zook is a heck of a recruiter, few call him a good coach. :idunno: It is a HUGE part of the job though. What happens if they next guy who comes in gets the most out of his players, but can't recruit for crap? Ask Tubby Smith how that works out at a program with major expectations. Oh yea... like I said you can name the flashy players for UGA last year but saying, "talent on defense" tells me you know nothing about the defense or line play. Sure they had talent, but let's not act like they had a defense like Florida, Bama or LSU.
November 3, 200916 yr It is a HUGE part of the job though. What happens if they next guy who comes in gets the most out of his players, but can't recruit for crap? Ask Tubby Smith how that works out at a program with major expectations. Oh yea... like I said you can name the flashy players for UGA last year but saying, "talent on defense" tells me you know nothing about the defense or line play. Sure they had talent, but let's not act like they had a defense like Florida, Bama or LSU. 1. Being a good recruiter doesn't make a good coach. Two totally different things. They can help each other out, but you don't have to be a good coach to recruit well and you don't have to recruit great to be a good coach. How is this a hard concept? :idunno: 2. I could name off their defense, I didn't think it would be a big deal. With Curran and Ellerbee that is enough to have a pretty good defense, especially with that secondary. There's no excuse, they have talent, and Richt has been coaching his team longer than Meyer, Miles, Saban. He should have players that fit his system...and he doesn't. 3. As for nothing nothing, once again here we go with a personal attack. What do you know about defense? Can you read coverage? Can you identify the blitz? Do you even know what fronts a defense is playing and the strategy behind them? If so maybe we can have a strategic discussion, I'm not going to waste my time talking it with just anyone. Drop off from Petrino and Nutt? Hmmmm.... I'd love to see that argument. How about watching them on the field? Petrino has a team that was built totally different than the style he plays, and is having relative success. Petrino at UGA? I think he'd have a title if he was given a decade at a place like that. Nutt, I'm not really high on, but I think he doesn't a better job than Richt. His teams at Arkansas had some talent, but they didn't have the abundant amount all over the depth chart that the SEC elite have. Really neither does Ole Miss, so there you go. UGA has no excuse. They've had alot of NFL talent. And it's only stats with you anyway so there is no argument. I get it. Larry Coker and Mark Richt the two greatest to ever coach. Mark Richt is the Tubby Smith of football. A decent coach, but he's in over his head. The coaching elite in the SEC is just too advanced. Heck he got destroyed by a UT team that has little offense. What did they give up to Crompton? 300 and 3 TDs? He probably hasn't done that since High School
November 3, 200916 yr ^I've yet to see a point you make change my opinion in any way at all. Calling Mark Richt the Tubby Smith of football is hilarious. Wasn't Tubby the one would could coach, but not recruit? :lol: I don't want to talk defensive strategy with you... obviously I would be way out of my league :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
November 3, 200916 yr ^I've yet to see a point you make change my opinion in any way at all. Calling Mark Richt the Tubby Smith of football is hilarious. Wasn't Tubby the one would could coach, but not recruit? :lol: I don't want to talk defensive strategy with you... obviously I would be way out of my league :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I meant by comparing them that they are both capable coaches, they just can't run big programs. I figured that was obvious, maybe I'll start posting on a 3rd grade level. As for the bolded, it's the same garbage. All we ever hear about is how much you know, and how wrong we are. I must have missed where you coached or played professionally.:idunno: From what I've seen you post, I honestly don't think I could talk strategy to you, without losing you.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.