Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

8th region Cats Pause preview

Featured Replies

Russell may or may not be the best player in the region, but there certainly aren't 3 players in the region better then him.

 

 

 

And to your point, he's the best football, basketball and probably baseball player on the team. On a side note the first time he ever played golf he broke 80. I think Russell is a pretty special athlete.

  • Replies 78
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russell is definitely a talented player and in my opinion the best high school player in the 8th region. I think that alot of us look at who is going where and what their potential is after high school when rating players but what are they doing right now for their teams. There isn't a player in the region that I would want over Jacob Russell. That being said the regional title will still have to go through Anderson Co.

You've obviously seen a different Sawyer Williams play than I have. I'm not saying that he doesn't have potential but alot of young kids do well as Freshman and Sophmores and then tend to level off as a Varsity player. He may be just a step above average for his age but there are several players out there that will matchup with him. I think there will have to be quite a bit of improvement for Division 1!

 

Williams will definitely be a force to deal with over the next 3 years. His game improved dramatically over the Summer. That being said, he is still just a Soph. so I am sure there will be growing pains in making the transition from JV to Varsity.

I agree, Papa. My rankings would probably look more like this:

 

1. Shelby

2. Anderson

3. North Oldham

4. South Oldham

5. Simon Kenton

6. Owen County

7. Gallatin County (I want to hear more about these transfers)

8. Oldham County

9. Henry County

10. Walton-Verona

 

Pretty close to Mickey's...

 

I would have to believe that Grant Co. would have to be into consideration if we are going to put SK and Owen county in the top 6. Grant brings back three of their starters, three of their top rebounders, two of there top scorers, and they added a new coach to take over the JV that will be very promising and be a quality addition to the team.

Agreed that D1 is a major stretch but I don't think you are giving the kid quite enough credit.

 

Agreed. Owen has NO players ANYWHERE NEAR D1.

Russell is definitely a talented player and in my opinion the best high school player in the 8th region. I think that alot of us look at who is going where and what their potential is after high school when rating players but what are they doing right now for their teams. There isn't a player in the region that I would want over Jacob Russell. That being said the regional title will still have to go through Anderson Co.

 

I agree with you, 100 percent:thumb:

I would have to believe that Grant Co. would have to be into consideration if we are going to put SK and Owen county in the top 6. Grant brings back three of their starters, three of their top rebounders, two of there top scorers, and they added a new coach to take over the JV that will be very promising and be a quality addition to the team.

 

I'm still working on my "official" :lol::lol::lol: rankings...collecting info... but right now, IMO, the road to Rupp goes through Shelbyville.

Henry Co. has some good players this year, their only problem is they don't have much height or bench. The starters will have to play almost the entire game if they want to win. Wont go much further than 7-8 players deep. Could possibly be moving an 8th grader up to play varsity. He is going to be one of the best players in the region when he gets in high school.

Yes ,Williams is a good player but not D1 yet.

Owen has 6'8 6'6 6'5

Colligan was 5th or 6th in the state at field goal percentage.

Shelton has good post play and can hit the Trey.

Williams is a great offensive player around the basket.

 

In my opinion no team can match up with their bigs, but where Owen is going to get beat is at guard.

 

I agree Owen has the best height in the region, but the quality of them isn't to great. I have never been impressed with Shelton, and I have seen him play at least 5 times. Always seems like smaller kids aren't affected by his height, like they are much stronger than he is. Also think he is very soft for being as tall as he is. He needs to get a lot stronger this year if they want to compete for the region. I believe Colligan is the much better player than he is.

I'm still working on my "official" :lol::lol::lol: rankings...collecting info... but right now, IMO, the road to Rupp goes through Shelbyville.

 

I agree with you that shelby and S. Oldham are the top teams but I also believe SK and Owen are being overated as they have been in the past. I also have to say that Walton would be higher than SK and Owen as well. Walton returns everyone and beat SK in there last matchup.

I agree with you, 100 percent:thumb:

 

Just remember he had a guy named CJ around him. He might score all the points for ACHS this year BUTthe region will not go thru AC.

It goes through Anderson County until somebody beats them, they are the defending champions.

Owen County lost their three starting guards from the district championship team a year ago in Drew Marston, Blake Traylor and all 8th region player, Collin Gamble. All three big men return, but the guard play will be key. Kyle Kelly is a good ball handler and game manager, but they need to find someone else that can handle the ball. Lewis is very athletic and has alot of potential, but let's his head get in his way sometimes and struggles handling the ball at times. If he stops thinking about what he is doing, then he will have a great year. Jordan Shelton and Michael Colligan return for the Rebels frontcourt, with Shelton averaging a double-double last year, and Colligan 3rd in the state in field goal percentage. After watching Owen play this summer, I think that alot people will be surprised by the play of sophomores Stone Osborne and Sawyer Williams. Williams dominated alot of games this summer and I saw him throwing down hard in warmups. I recently talked to an Owen County assistant who told me that Osborne looks like a totally different kid out there on the court after spending a summer in the weight room. Without a single junior on the team, those two sophomores will have to grow up quick. If Lewis and Kelly can get into a flow early in the season and handle the pressure, then I think this team could be very good this year.

Owen County lost their three starting guards from the district championship team a year ago in Drew Marston, Blake Traylor and all 8th region player, Collin Gamble. All three big men return, but the guard play will be key. Kyle Kelly is a good ball handler and game manager, but they need to find someone else that can handle the ball. Lewis is very athletic and has alot of potential, but let's his head get in his way sometimes and struggles handling the ball at times. If he stops thinking about what he is doing, then he will have a great year. Jordan Shelton and Michael Colligan return for the Rebels frontcourt, with Shelton averaging a double-double last year, and Colligan 3rd in the state in field goal percentage. After watching Owen play this summer, I think that alot people will be surprised by the play of sophomores Stone Osborne and Sawyer Williams. Williams dominated alot of games this summer and I saw him throwing down hard in warmups. I recently talked to an Owen County assistant who told me that Osborne looks like a totally different kid out there on the court after spending a summer in the weight room. Without a single junior on the team, those two sophomores will have to grow up quick. If Lewis and Kelly can get into a flow early in the season and handle the pressure, then I think this team could be very good this year.

 

Agree. But the bigs will have to prove that they actually want the rebounds. The one boy Williams (isn't he a sophomore?) is the only one that acts like he wants to be on the floor half the time. Smaller players jump circles around the other two to get the ball while they take the wait and see approach as to who is gonna get the rebound. I will admit Culigan is very strong under the basket, but as for Shelton I am not impressed. Owen's guards (Lewis and Kelly use to be at that age) are two of the teams strongest assets this year, along with Williams and Culigan. Osborne is young, and his talent has peaked. He lets his emotions ruin his game as well. Plus, he doesn't listen to the older players/coaches as to what to do. He plans his own run and loses the ball, or he gets too down on himself to continue (alot like Lewis and Kelly). This year should be fun to watch if they have all grown a little and are able to leave the emotions on the bench.

Agree. Osborne is young, and his talent has peaked. He lets his emotions ruin his game as well. Plus, he doesn't listen to the older players/coaches as to what to do. He plans his own run and loses the ball, or he gets too down on himself to continue (alot like Lewis and Kelly).

 

I'm not sure where you get this about Stone. He is one of the nicest kids I've ever met and you are putting him off to be a hot head. Spend some time around the kid before you go and bash him like that.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.