7. Warren Central

8. Graves County

9. Apollo

10. Franklin-Simpson

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's hear everyone's West Ky Top 10 for both Small and Big schools. You can rank any 1a, 2a or 3a team in the Small school rankings and any 4a, 5a or 6a team in the Big school rankings. This will be 2 seperate polls, so, when you reply, be sure to do both polls. Below, is a list of the WKy schools to select from:

Small Schools - Ballard Memorial, Crittenden Co, Fulton City, Fulton Co, Mayfield, Caldwell Co, Heath, Murray, Reidland, Trigg Co, Ft Campbell, Hancock Co, Owensboro Catholic, Todd Central, Glasgow, Green Co, Metcalfe Co, Monroe Co, McLean Co, Paducah Tilghman, Union Co, Webster Co, Adair Co, Butler Co, Edmonson Co, Hart Co, Russellville.

Big Schools - Calloway Co, Hopkins Central, Lone Oak, Muhlenburg Co, Allen Co-Scottsville, Franklin Simpson, Logan Co, Russell Co, Warren East, Christian Co, Hopkinsville, Madisonville, Ohio Co, Owensboro, Barren Co, Bowling Green, Grayson Co, Warren Central, Apollo, Daviess Co, Graves Co, Henderson Co, Marshall Co, Greenwood.

Vote between now and wednesday night 7:00 CST and I'll gather the results and post them sometime shortly thereafter.

Here's mine:

Small Schools

1) Ft Campbell

2) Mayfield

3) Monroe Co

4) Green Co

5) Crittenden Co

6) Murray

7) Tilghman

8) Owensboro Catholic

9) Glasgow

10) Caldwell Co

Big Schools

1) Bowling Green

2) Owensboro

3) Lone Oak

4) Christian Co

5) Allen Co-Scottsville

6) Grayson Co

7) Henderson Co

8) Greenwood

9) Graves Co

10) Warren Central

Never voted in the small school poll, don't know enough about them.

Big Schools

1) Bowling Green

2) Owensboro

3) Lone Oak

4) Henderson County

5) Christian County

6) AC/S

7) Warren Central

8) Franklin-Simpson

9) Apollo

10) Greenwood

P.S. - I am horrified that Grayson is considered that good by some. I cannot wait for the 2nd and 16th.

Has anyone looked at the strength of schedule that Mayfield has played. I have not seen Mayfield play. So I may be wrong. But I looked at the teams records that they have played. The record for the teams is 8-22. Not very impressive. Two of those teams are giving up over 42 points a game. And those two teams are 0-12 this season. Calloway Co. 2-4, Pad. Til. 2-4. It just seems that a lot of teams playing that schedule could rack up lots of points and a 6-0 record. They need to see what they can do vs quality teams. If they can win those then they should be right up there with the Ft. Campbell's and Monroe Co's. JMO:idunno:

Mayfield's opposition will only get worse in the next couple of weeks when they face 2 teams with one win each. The win over the Tennessee 2A state champion has alot to do with the lofty ranking and those who have seen Mayfield know when they have a state finalist caliber team. It seems this club is moving in that direction. Heck, the other polls will likely have Mayfield number 1 in class A for the state by Tuesday.

Small schools

1-Fort Campbell

2-Mayfield

3-Crittenden County

4-Green County

5-Murray

6-Monroe County

7-Paducah Tilghman

8-Glasgow

9-Heath

10-Caldwell County

Never voted in the small school poll, don't know enough about them.

Big Schools

1) Bowling Green

2) Owensboro

3) Lone Oak

4) Henderson County

5) Christian County

6) AC/S

7) Warren Central

8) Franklin-Simpson

9) Apollo

10) Greenwood

P.S. - I am horrified that Grayson is considered that good by some. I cannot wait for the 2nd and 16th.

Have you seen the margins of victory that GC has been putting up? Granted, the teams they're playing aren't world beaters, but they've been putting up insane numbers, even after putting their 2's & 3's in.

I'm not saying they'll beat BG or WC, but I do think they're much better than what you are giving them credit for.

This is the exact reason Grayson nearly beat WC in 2007 and did beat them in 2008. Lack of respect. Will you respect them if they beat the Dragons this year?

I surely will. This will be the first time in those years that Central has a coaching staff I have faith in managing the game. If Grayson wins it this time, I'll have no excuses left to throw out.

My issues with the '07 & '08 games have been well documented. In 2007, the starting QB threw for three TDs in the first half as WC scored on 3 of their first 4 possessions and got out to a 28-14 halftime lead. So what did the coaches do? Naturally, they benched said QB and put in the backup, who had barely seen the field all year to that point. He threw two INTs and led Central to a whopping 31 total yards of offense in the second half. In 2008, they didn't bother waiting until the game to bench the starter. They did it two games prior against Barren County (which he did lead them to a victory in 55-0). Central got 148 yards of offense against Grayson County last year, and unfortunately, never got down far enough for the coaches to realize their mistake. Only when they were running out of time and still down by 3 near midfield did they try some lame-brained formation where they lined up their usual starter as a WR and try a flea flicker (which didn't work because Grayson County's players and staff aren't morons). The fun continued the next week through the mid-third quarter as Hoptown was out to a 27-3 lead before finally (FINALLY) they put the usual guy back in. In three weeks, their backup led them to one offensive score.

The point of the story is that each year the only reason the QB was benched was because they didn't like his attitude and thought he didn't care enough. You're absolutely spot on about lack of respect, because it was clear that in games where they fell behind and the coaches realized they needed him, they would put him back in. They respected Grayson so little each year that they thought they could get by without him. I don't have a problem with discipline, but if you keep putting a guy back in after benching him for those reasons, the only message you're sending is that when they need you, all bets are off. They never realized quick enough that they needed him against Grayson County.

You may point out that the backup QB that performed so poorly in those situations was in fact the current starter Troy Halcomb. Firstly, that was a different offensive set, one that relied much more on passing than the current one. They are about 80/20 on run/pass now while it was much more of a 50/50 split before. I will always maintain that Troy is a poor passer and not meant for that scheme. Secondly, Troy will have a full season of games under his belt this time when he plays Grayson, not some smattering of snaps here and there as in '07 or a couple of games in '08. This time he is the guy and will not be throw into a situation he is not ready for.

I firmly believe Central's coaching is better than previously, and the team is better than previously. I recognize that Grayson is better than in years past, but personally, it's hard for me to get by watching a terrible Warren Central team still only lose by 3 to Grayson last year, and imagine that a much improved team this year would do the same.

Have you seen the margins of victory that GC has been putting up? Granted, the teams they're playing aren't world beaters, but they've been putting up insane numbers, even after putting their 2's & 3's in.

I'm not saying they'll beat BG or WC, but I do think they're much better than what you are giving them credit for.

Define "much better"? What I'm saying is, they're not top 10 among these teams we're ranking in this poll. They're probably in the next 5. They're most certainly not 6th in this poll, ranked above teams like Henderson County, Greenwood, and Warren Central, all of which I would most definitely take in a head to head game against them, especially Henderson County.

I'd consider most of Grayson's wins no more impressive than Warren Central's victory over Warren East a week and a half ago. It's just not a big thing when you're blowing out competition that is playing that poorly.

Grayson's program is much, much improved. I just don't think they're quite as good as some are giving them credit for. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I'll own that. I've made excuses for two years for the games they've played against them. If it happens again this year, I'll stop.

Define "much better"? What I'm saying is, they're not top 10 among these teams we're ranking in this poll. They're probably in the next 5. They're most certainly not 6th in this poll, ranked above teams like Henderson County, Greenwood, and Warren Central, all of which I would most definitely take in a head to head game against them, especially Henderson County.

I'd consider most of Grayson's wins no more impressive than Warren Central's victory over Warren East a week and a half ago. It's just not a big thing when you're blowing out competition that is playing that poorly.

Grayson's program is much, much improved. I just don't think they're quite as good as some are giving them credit for. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I'll own that. I've made excuses for two years for the games they've played against them. If it happens again this year, I'll stop.

In your initial post, I felt you were completely discounting the improvement of Grayson. Even the last two years, if you're saying that the only reason Grayson fared respectably against Warren Central is coaching, I feel this team is improved even over those teams.

Again, I'm not saying they will beat either Bowling Green or Warren Central. But I do feel that they've earned a place in the teams to consider in this top ten based upon their performance thus far in the season.

Has anyone looked at the strength of schedule that Mayfield has played. I have not seen Mayfield play. So I may be wrong. But I looked at the teams records that they have played. The record for the teams is 8-22. Not very impressive. Two of those teams are giving up over 42 points a game. And those two teams are 0-12 this season. Calloway Co. 2-4, Pad. Til. 2-4. It just seems that a lot of teams playing that schedule could rack up lots of points and a 6-0 record. They need to see what they can do vs quality teams. If they can win those then they should be right up there with the Ft. Campbell's and Monroe Co's. JMO:idunno:
Mayfield's schedule is normally pretty good, but this year, two of their usually solid opponents are having subpar seasons ... Marshall County may have their worst team ever and Paducah Tilghman has been a train wreck.

On the other hand, Trousdale County is a top-5 team in Class 2A in Tennessee and Graves County just played Lone Oak, a top-5 team in Class 4A, very tough last weekend.

Mayfield isn't up there with Fort Campbell ... no small school is. They are up there with Monroe County.

Simply put, Grayson has played a horribly weak schedule for a 5A school. Half of their opponents have been A and 2A schools.

Ed Smart has obviously done a good job of reviving the program, but the Cougars have to beat somebody decent before they get that kind of respect.

Simply put, Grayson has played a horribly weak schedule for a 5A school. Half of their opponents have been A and 2A schools.

Ed Smart has obviously done a good job of reviving the program, but the Cougars have to beat somebody decent before they get that kind of respect.

True enough, but, most people said the same thing about Lone Oak a couple of years ago and they made it all the way to the finals getting through some good teams along the way and are now a legit 4a team...Not saying that'll happen to Grayson, especially in 6a, but, it is possible for a team to go from a bad program to a good and they seem to be heading in that direction and even though WCentral was down last year, thats still a big step in the right direction. Gotta crawl before you walk and with the majority of that team returning this year, being undefeated and putting up gaudy numbers, I felt they were as deserving as any below them, at this point. Of course that could change next week, but, to this point, they're deservant in my book. In addition, the overall talent of the big schools in the west is down..

True enough, but, most people said the same thing about Lone Oak a couple of years ago and they made it all the way to the finals getting through some good teams along the way and are now a legit 4a team...Not saying that'll happen to Grayson, especially in 6a, but, it is possible for a team to go from a bad program to a good and they seem to be heading in that direction and even though WCentral was down last year, thats still a big step in the right direction. Gotta crawl before you walk and with the majority of that team returning this year, being undefeated and putting up gaudy numbers, I felt they were as deserving as any below them, at this point. Of course that could change next week, but, to this point, they're deservant in my book. In addition, the overall talent of the big schools in the west is down..
Two years ago, two of Lone Oak's first four wins were over a Caldwell County team that went 7-4 and a Calloway County team that was a year away from a berth in the state semifinals.

Has Grayson beaten anyone of that caliber so far? Their six wins are against teams with a combined record of 8-27, and at least two of those wins are against other teams on Grayson's schedule. Four of those eight wins are Hancock County's, and those four wins are against teams with a combined 3-19 record.

It's one thing for a 4A school of 850 kids to play an A-2A schedule. It's another for a school of 1,200 enrollment to do it.

Grayson gets two chances over the next few weeks to justify your ranking. We'll see how those turn out.

Two years ago, two of Lone Oak's first four wins were over a Caldwell County team that went 7-4 and a Calloway County team that was a year away from a berth in the state semifinals.

Has Grayson beaten anyone of that caliber so far?

It's one thing for a 4A school of 850 kids to play an A-2A schedule. It's another for a school of 1,200 enrollment to do it.

Not disputing Graysons schedule. Not really familiar enough to know who they played or beat, just stating my reasoning for ranking them as I did and using Lone Oak as an example because the biggest knock on them was playing teams like Todd Central, Fulton Co, Webster, etc in the non-district portion of there schedule, basically, a very weak schedule and played the same up until this year where they added Green Co and Lex Catholic. So, alot of folks questioned them because of it and they ended up being for real. Possibly, Grayson is moving toward that same type of success. I would say the win over WCentral last year(albeit, they were down) is a better win than Caldwell and pretty much on the same scale as Calloway...