Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

I want a German Shepherd

Featured Replies

I'm looking for a German Shepherd puppy. Of corse I'd rather not pay a fortune for one. It seems like everyone in the papers want a small fortune. Anyone know where I can buy one?

Depends on what you want.

 

The most healthy are very, VERY expensive.........

 

I had one that was Czech, great loyal dog that lived 15 yrs without many problems.

Just make sure it has the needed health clearances for the breed...I wouldn't let price factor into it at all....a dog isn't a car!

I cannot help you with any info on this but I just wanted to comment on the German Shapherd.

No doubt one of my favorite breeds of dogs. Reason being I guess is bc on the day I was born, on his way home from the hospital my Dad stopped and got a Germans Shepherd pup. That was my dog and "Smokey" (named bc of his smoke grey color) died when I (and he) was 15 years old. Needless to say there was a connection. Very hard to say goodbye to a family pet like that, especially with the story behind it. We had to puit him down due to tumors all over his body to the point he couldn't walk.

I have had and owned several other dogs through the years, mostly hunting dogs but none to compare to ol' Smokey.

 

Sorry to post without info you wanted but when I saw the title it just brought back memories. Good luck in finding a German Shepherd, they ar a beautiful and fantastic breed. :thumb:

  • Author

What do you cal very very expensive?

I fyou don't mind me asking how much was your dog?

 

 

Maybe I'm just a cheapo... lol...

Be careful. You usually get what you pay for. We had a wonderful german shepherd when we first got married. To this day she was the best dog we ever owned. Loving but very protective. I always felt safe when she was in the house. She went blind and her hips gave out and we had to put her to sleep at age 11.

 

When my kids were little, we wanted to repeat that experience for them. Went to a place up in Ohio that sold black german shepherd pups for $100.00...prettty cheap for a full blooded shepherd.

Turns out, when we got the papers we noticed that her mom and dad were brother and sister....and BOY was she inbred! Skittish, nipped at the kids' ankles, a horror to try to house break. Never got over her chewing puppy phase.

 

After 3 years of struggling with her, she tried to bite me. That was the end of her. We had her put down. The kids were actually happy.

 

Pay the price to a reputable breeder. You will get paid back with years of faithful love. In the end, four or five hundred dollars will seem like a bargain.

  • Author

Ok anyone know of any good breeders?

 

When I say expensive I mean I see dogs between $700 and $1000....... That seems expensive to me. I figured I shold be able to get a good dog in the range of $250-$400.... What do you guys think is a fair price?

What do you cal very very expensive?

I fyou don't mind me asking how much was your dog?

 

 

Maybe I'm just a cheapo... lol...

 

 

$1000-$2000...........all the way up to $5g's

$1000-$2000...........all the way up to $5g's

 

No way i'd ever pay that much for any dog.

OR my German Shep when I was a kid was also named Smokey. Ironic lol! Awesome bread of loyal dogs!

What do you cal very very expensive?

I fyou don't mind me asking how much was your dog?

 

 

Maybe I'm just a cheapo... lol...

I'm not positive, but I think mine was $500. There were some cheaper and some more expensive. Health then temperament were my #1 priorities. I'm not positive on specific problems related to German Shepherds, but being a large breed I'd say you want it OFA certified for sure. This site seems to have a lot of information. Specifically on these two pages:

 

http://www.total-german-shepherd.com/germanshepherdpuppy.html

http://www.total-german-shepherd.com/GermanShepherdHealth.html

Ok anyone know of any good breeders?

 

When I say expensive I mean I see dogs between $700 and $1000....... That seems expensive to me. I figured I shold be able to get a good dog in the range of $250-$400.... What do you guys think is a fair price?

 

Check the paper. My step dad bought his purebred for $350.

  • Author
$1000-$2000...........all the way up to $5g's

 

:scared::eek::scared:

I had a good friend who had one and every time it went outside it would trot in a circle, over and over....There was a pool in the yard and it would not stop doing this. I've heard from others that is sometimes an issue with the breed.:idunno:

I had a good friend who had one and every time it went outside it would trot in a circle, over and over....There was a pool in the yard and it would not stop doing this. I've heard from others that is sometimes an issue with the breed.:idunno:
It probably needed an outlet for it's energy. GS's are very intelligent and high energy breeds...if you don't have the time for such a breed they will turn their energy to destructive purposes (I have a dog that could be that requires a ton of time himself).

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.