August 31, 200917 yr If he can't get this crap out of his system before he hits college, he's in for a world of hurt. I doubt seriously if anyone has ever heard, or even particularly cares who Evan Faulkner is, and whatever slack has been cut by the police around here will not be there in North Carolina; and he may find himself coming home from college a little earlier than the rest of Radford's basketball team.
August 31, 200917 yr Evan Faulkner is a fine basketball player and Radford will be happy to have him. What does he need to get out of his system - being a typical college kid?
August 31, 200917 yr Evan Faulkner is a fine basketball player and Radford will be happy to have him. What does he need to get out of his system - being a typical college kid? No. A typical college kid does not get PI's and disorderly conduct. And when a school is paying YOU to be there, you are representing them and making them look bad as well as yourself in the process. Too many excuses are made for stuff like this. It is embarassing.
August 31, 200917 yr No. A typical college kid does not get PI's and disorderly conduct. And when a school is paying YOU to be there, you are representing them and making them look bad as well as yourself in the process. Too many excuses are made for stuff like this. It is embarassing. This happens every week at every college campus in the country. The only thing that is embarressing, IMO, are the folks that are trying to blow something out of proportion when they have NO IDEA what really happened that night. That is JMO :clap:
August 31, 200917 yr This happens every week at every college campus in the country. The only thing that is embarressing, IMO, are the folks that are trying to blow something out of proportion when they have NO IDEA what really happened that night. That is JMO :clap: Wait? Hold the phone! You were there too? I doubt it. So I don't think you have any idea what happened either, thus "typical college behavior" couldn't come into play, because maybe it WASN'T typical and that is why he was arrested? I don't know how it was for you where you're from, but where I grew up if someone gets arrested underage for a PI and disorderly conduct it isn't waved off and said "well, that's alright, this stuff happens everyday son, i'm proud of you for learning about yourself and being a typical college kid". If he can't get his act together, and realize a college is giving him a great opportunity and he is being paid in the process and representing that school, then he IMO shouldn't be awarded the opportunity because someone more deserving is out there who is willing to act responsibly.
August 31, 200917 yr Wait? Hold the phone! You were there too? I doubt it. So I don't think you have any idea what happened either, thus "typical college behavior" couldn't come into play, because maybe it WASN'T typical and that is why he was arrested? I don't know how it was for you where you're from, but where I grew up if someone gets arrested underage for a PI and disorderly conduct it isn't waved off and said "well, that's alright, this stuff happens everyday son, i'm proud of you for learning about yourself and being a typical college kid". If he can't get his act together, and realize a college is giving him a great opportunity and he is being paid in the process and representing that school, then he IMO shouldn't be awarded the opportunity because someone more deserving is out there who is willing to act responsibly. I was arrested 3 times for PI before I was 23 and I have an MBA, am a Director of an IT department, have a beautiful wife and 2 wonderful children and I am a Christian. And yes, I know exactly what happened that night.
August 31, 200917 yr I was arrested 3 times for PI before I was 23 and I have an MBA, am a Director of an IT department, have a beautiful wife and 2 wonderful children and I am a Christian. And yes, I know exactly what happened that night. He is what? 18, 19 maybe? You can excuse his behavior all you want, but when your kids grow up and you get a call about them being arrested I bet you'll be none too happy and not too thrilled that your kid is just "a typical kid". I have higher standards than that. Congratulations on your life story, but what does being a Christian have to do with it? It's just disappointing to see a couple of people excuse this and accept it as just the normal. It isn't normal. Sorry.
August 31, 200917 yr He is what? 18, 19 maybe? You can excuse his behavior all you want, but when your kids grow up and you get a call about them being arrested I bet you'll be none too happy and not too thrilled that your kid is just "a typical kid". I have higher standards than that. Congratulations on your life story, but what does being a Christian have to do with it? It's just disappointing to see a couple of people excuse this and accept it as just the normal. It isn't normal. Sorry. Nothing to be sorry about. I have given my opinion and I know exactly what happened with Faulkner. Being a Christian has everything to do with it. I obviously wouldn't be happy if my kids were in trouble, but I wouldn't blackball them for making a mistake, either. And, neither will Radford.
August 31, 200917 yr Nothing to be sorry about. I have given my opinion and I know exactly what happened with Faulkner. Being a Christian has everything to do with it. I obviously wouldn't be happy if my kids were in trouble, but I wouldn't blackball them for making a mistake, either. And, neither will Radford. Right and at this point I don't think they should. I hope he learned from this mistake. Unfortunately, since apparently college drinking and acting a fool is "typical behavior" then I'd assume we'll see this as a reoccuring issue, at which point I think Radford would be forced to hand down some type of punishment. I hope this doesn't happen..but since it's typical.
August 31, 200917 yr Unfortunately, since apparently college drinking and acting a fool is "typical behavior" As a college student, I can assure you 100% that it is. Getting caught, or more appropriately getting charged, is rare. This isn't an excuse for Faulkner, but he'll show more discretion in the future. It isn't a big deal, he'll learn his lesson and move on. But if you think that isn't a common occurrence at college campuses all over the world, then you are being naive.
August 31, 200917 yr As a college student, I can assure you 100% that it is. Getting caught, or more appropriately getting charged, is rare. This isn't an excuse for Faulkner, but he'll show more discretion in the future. It isn't a big deal, he'll learn his lesson and move on. But if you think that isn't a common occurrence at college campuses all over the world, then you are being naive. Exactly how I feel :thumb:
August 31, 200917 yr As a college student, I can assure you 100% that it is. Getting caught, or more appropriately getting charged, is rare. This isn't an excuse for Faulkner, but he'll show more discretion in the future. It isn't a big deal, he'll learn his lesson and move on. But if you think that isn't a common occurrence at college campuses all over the world, then you are being naive. I can assure you that it is not the case. Some people like to use the whole "college feel" excuse for their immaturity level, and others can drink, have a time time without acting like a fool. The ones who do are immature and are more often than not irresponsible and deserve any consequences they receive as a result for their actions.
August 31, 200917 yr I can assure you that it is not the case. Some people like to use the whole "college feel" excuse for their immaturity level, and others can drink, have a time time without acting like a fool. The ones who do are immature and are more often than not irresponsible and deserve any consequences they receive as a result for their actions. I suppose it depends on your definition of the word "typical", as that is the word that Oscar used. Never did I claim that everyone is immature when they drink. But go down to State or University in Lexington on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday and tell me that acting like a fool is not typical behavior.
August 31, 200917 yr Although we can't discuss any issues that happen with minors, I don't think this is a first time incident, and I'll leave it at that. Frankly, I hope this doesn't become a pattern with him in the near future. And every apologist on here can swear on good faith that it isn't a problem for him, they truly have no clue no matter how connected they say they are. I hope for the young man's sake that these actions and consequences have awaken him so that his path remains straighter in the future and his college experience can lead him to becoming a leader in the community. He'll put the basketball down soon, but for now, it is the key to furthering his education. So, for what it's worth, I hope he has decided to ditch the alcohol and concentrate on what's truly important.
August 31, 200917 yr I suppose it depends on your definition of the word "typical", as that is the word that Oscar used. Never did I claim that everyone is immature when they drink. But go down to State or University in Lexington on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday and tell me that acting like a fool is not typical behavior. It's not an act.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.