Covington Catholic/Lexington Catholic Predictions

WKUFAN

Not sure if the normal crowd will show up. Saturday night out of town will hurt attendance.

This Saturday will be a great day for football in the Bluegrass. Lexington Catholic is hosting the 15th annual Bluegrass Bowl. There are 4 middle school games scheduled during the day starting at 9:00am representing schools from around the Commonwealth. Participating in these middle school games will be Southern Pulaski, the Lone Oak Purple Flash, Graves County, Bowling Green JH, Lexington Christian Academy and Lexington Catholic. Starting at 5:30, the varsity takes over with the 5A Woodford County Fighting Yellow Jackets vs. the 3A Wolverines from Western Hills. Woodford County is coming off a solid win last week while Western Hills feature star quarterback Dylan Curry who has signed with Louisville. At 8:35, Lexington Catholic and Covington Catholic square off in what should be a very entertaining game. The last two games between these teams were shoot-outs with the winner eventually capturing the 3A State Championship (Lexington Catholic in 2005 and Covington Catholic in 2006). Parking lots will be opened early!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go Knights, you should have invited the CovCath middle school teams to come down and play LexCath/LexChristian. Those young men from our teams are tough and yes you read correctly, we have two teams and both are good and someday they will be wearing the Blue and White of CovCath.

Go Knights, you should have invited the CovCath middle school teams to come down and play LexCath/LexChristian. Those young men from our teams are tough and yes you read correctly, we have two teams and both are good and someday they will be wearing the Blue and White of CovCath.

Two teams, this is fantastic. Hopefully in future years this is something that can get done. It would be good to have these two strong programs make each other better starting at the middle school level.

This game I believe will be the first CovCath vs. LexCath football game that has not been a KHSAA playoff game. For years CovCath and LexCath were both in 3A but in separate districts, so the only time they played against each other was in the playoffs.

This will not be the first time that LC and CC have squared off in the regular season. LC and CC played in the Bluegrass Bowl to start the 2000 season. Don't remember the score, but LC won that one.

This will not be the first time that LC and CC have squared off in the regular season. LC and CC played in the Bluegrass Bowl to start the 2000 season. Don't remember the score, but LC won that one.

Correct you are! LexCath at that time was a 2A school while CovCath was a 3A school, so there were no playoffs to worry about.

Thanks for correcting me! :thumb:

Edited by Birdsfan

Ha, I must be getting old (24). I kept trying to think if we had played Cov Cath outside the playoffs and for some reason kept concluding that we hadn't but that they had been at our bowl a few times ala I think 1999 when they upset St. X maybe? But you are right, I now recall this one. 28-13.

Great story about the St. Joe's Bluegrass Bowl of 1999. The J-man, Jason Elfers was a freshman at U of L and he had to listen to all of this new Louisville friends tell him how St. X was going to trounce the Colonels to open the season. Well, do you believe in miracles? CovCath pulled off the upset 24-14. The Colonels went on to finish 4-7 and lost in the first round of the 3A playoffs by 5 to Harrison County. St X finished 14-1 and beat Bryan Station by 3 in the 4A championship game. A side note, that CovCath team was led by QB Brett Dietz. When Dietz was playing in arena football he came across a player with the St. X championship ring. He showed the player the 14-1 record on the side of his ring and Dietz told him, "hey dude, I'm the 1".

Hey CovCathiRadio any truth to the rumor that the CovCath Internet Radio will be bringing the CovCath faithful a live video feed of the CovCath vs. LexCath game this Saturday night?

On the CovCath Internet Radio web site on CovCath.org/ I noticed a little video.gif video camera next to the LexCath vs. CovCath live from Lexington, Ky notice of the game and was just wondering?

08/29video.gif CovCath Colonel Varsity Football vs. Lexington Catholic Knights (KY) 08:30PM (EST)

Covington Catholic Colonel Varsity Football vs. Lexington Catholic Knights, live from Lexington, KY.