Boone County/Beechwood Scrimmage

Boonecofan

In case anyone is still interested in a scrimmage, here is the story from Beechwood tonight. This game was played under real game rules.

Vocke almost went all the way on the opening kickoff return for Beechwood, bringing it back to the Boone 40. First play Rigdon connects for a 30 yard pass. Boone D holds and Beechwood has to settle for a 39 yard field goal by Nussbaum.

From there the game tightened up. Both defenses shut down the other team's running game. All the offense the rest of the half was generated by the passing games. Yes, Boone County fans and others, Alford passing the ball was the key to the game offensively tonight for Boone. Beechwood's inexperienced defensive line put zero pressure on Alford and as the half wore on, Boone's coaches took advantage. At the half Boone was up 14-3. Boone's lines were in control of the game on both sides of the ball.

Second half, Boone's offense took advantage of a Beechwood turnover and moved in methodically for another score. TD came on about a 20 yard run by ??? (it wasn't Quainoo or Oppenheimer) but it was Boone's best run of the night. Beechwood struck back, finally putting together a running game and Joe Colosimo broke loose for about a 50 yard run. Beechwood stalled again and missed a 45 yard field goal attempt - plenty of leg but wide left. Boone then turned the ball over on about the Beechwood 30 and Beechwood's offense did the same as Boone's and took advantage to score. The key play was a 25 yard pass from Rigdon to Josh Smith down to the 3 yard line. Extra point was wide left and that is how it ended for the first teamers - Boone ahead 21-9.

From that point on it was all Beechwood. The Tigers showed off the upcoming talent in their program as their second and third teamers scored 28 unanswered points. Big plays were a dazzling 65 yard run by Vocke as he used his speed and cutting ability to zig zag down the field before he was finally tackled at the 5. Third team QB Davis had two nice TD passes to Cruse and Brennan.

Summary - IMO ... Boone looks tough. Quainoo did not show much tonight. Oppenheimer had one nice 15 yard run that displayed his power. From what I saw tonight, don't be surprised if Oppenheimer starts taking carries away from Quainoo. Alford looked good throwing the ball in the short passing game. Boone's defense handled Beechwood's running game but got hurt by Beechwood's passing. Boone is going to be tough to handle.

On the Beechwood side, it looks like they are still trying to find the right combination in the lines. The passing game looks pretty good but they need to get some push up front to get the running game going. Defensively, they looked better this week except rushing the passer. There is some serious speed on the Beechwood side of the field if Colosimo, Rigdon and maybe Vocke a few carries a game can just get enough space to create something. IMO - Beechwood is going to find some tough going against the big teams on the schedule and their big lines but they look like they have the talent to make another title run by the time playoffs get here.

It truly was a fine summary, however, the portion of the scrimmage devoted to the JV squad needs to be covered. I wondered why so many predicted great things for Beechwood in the future. Now I know. The Beechwood reserves absolutely shined last night. THe wide receivers made brilliant catches on deep balls and Vocke showed why he will be a force before the season is over. Davis, one of the reserve qb's was also brilliant and Colosilimo also played well at qb for the reserves. The Beechwood reserve defense looked almost as good as the varsity. I have heard rumors that the reserve team gives the varsity fits in practice. Now I can see why. Once again, I simply cannot say enough about the reserve wide receivers. Someone has taught them the old adage about becoming a runner after the catch. It is refreshing to see that after watching NFL receivers trying to find a place to dive on the ground after making a catch.

The Voice of Reason has a great synopsis of the game. Boone didn't show near the sets in the running game that they have in the last couple of weeks. This could account for the poor showing by Quainoo. I don't think they wanted to expose too much for the Lafayette scouts. The defensive back play for Boone was poor at best. The Linebackers also had a tough time picking up backs out of the backfield in passing situations. They will have to do a lot of work on the pass defense. The run defense was stout though. Beechwood was very tough and will once again challenge for hardware from Bowling Green. One other note, after Boone went up 20-3 early in the 2nd half, they pulled their starters and played the JV the entire fourth quarter. This accounted for the scoring disparity in the second half. Beechwood's JV is going to be something special. They were very impressive!

The Voice of Reason has a great synopsis of the game. Boone didn't show near the sets in the running game that they have in the last couple of weeks. This could account for the poor showing by Quainoo. I don't think they wanted to expose too much for the Lafayette scouts. The defensive back play for Boone was poor at best. The Linebackers also had a tough time picking up backs out of the backfield in passing situations. They will have to do a lot of work on the pass defense. The run defense was stout though. Beechwood was very tough and will once again challenge for hardware from Bowling Green. One other note, after Boone went up 20-3 early in the 2nd half, they pulled their starters and played the JV the entire fourth quarter. This accounted for the scoring disparity in the second half. Beechwood's JV is going to be something special. They were very impressive!

I believe most of Boone's starters were still on the field when Beechwood's varsity scored their TD. I believe it was Oppenheimer who fumbled the ball that set up the score so he was still out there.

Actually they were mixed one's and two's. # 2 linemen were then out but still rotating backs minus Quainoo? Boone's complete 1 offense showed good progression for a semi young group. Boone tradition.....as the game went on they wore down the defense, made adjustments and controlled the ground game with so nice passing options.