Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Smoltz to the Cardinals

Featured Replies

Cardinals and Marlins (and one other team who I can't recall right now) have been the rumored landing spots for a few weeks now...

The Marlins desperately need some back of the rotation help if they are going to make the playoffs. I hope he ends up there.

After the performance Smoltz put on for the Sox - and now having laid off a couple of weeks to boot - I'm not sure how he'd help any team.

After the performance Smoltz put on for the Sox - and now having laid off a couple of weeks to boot - I'm not sure how he'd help any team.

 

He can still be a solid reliver, IMO.

 

In 6 of his 8 starts, he gave up no runs in the first 2 innings. As a closer/set-up man, he still could contribute.

There has never been any reason that Smoltz couldn't be an effective reliever. Expecting him to contribute as a starter while giving him a $5 million base salary was ridiculous.

If Smoltz ends up in St. Louis he may start in the bullpen but could very well end up the 5th guy in the rotation.

John Smoltz is "strongly leaning" toward signing with the Cardinals, according to a report on ESPN.com.

 

Smoltz, 42, told friends he will decide on a team Wednesday when his release waivers expire and he officially becomes a free agent, the report said. The pitcher is believed to prefer the Cardinals over the Dodgers, Marlins and Rangers.

 

The Cardinals on Monday expressed interest in the right-hander.

 

"I know that he's one of the guys we've been looking into," manager Tony La Russa said. "He's healthy, and when he's healthy, he's a weapon."

 

Should Smoltz join St. Louis, the Cardinals would use the veteran out of the bullpen as a setup man for closer Ryan Franklin, according to the report. Smoltz told clubs he would prefer to start but seems to have decided St. Louis is the best fit for him.

 

Read More

I just received word that Smoltz signed with the Cardinals for a prorated $400,000.

Smoltz would help in the bullpen, but from what I'm hearing, Smoltz may have talked his way into getting a shot at the rotation. LaRussa isn't too enamored with Mitchell Boggs as the fifth starter.

 

As a Cubs fan, I'm hoping for it ...

Smoltz would help in the bullpen, but from what I'm hearing, Smoltz may have talked his way into getting a shot at the rotation. LaRussa isn't too enamored with Mitchell Boggs as the fifth starter.

 

As a Cubs fan, I'm hoping for it ...

 

:lol:

 

Im not laughing at your post, I just love the way you worded it!

If Smoltz ends up in St. Louis he may start in the bullpen but could very well end up the 5th guy in the rotation.

 

Smoltz would help in the bullpen, but from what I'm hearing, Smoltz may have talked his way into getting a shot at the rotation. LaRussa isn't too enamored with Mitchell Boggs as the fifth starter.

 

As a Cubs fan, I'm hoping for it ...

Have you seen Boggs pitch? Smoltz would be an upgrade.

Have you seen Boggs pitch? Smoltz would be an upgrade.
Would he really? Smoltz has been awful as a starter. I'm far from enamored with Boggs, either, but to say Smoltz would be an upgrade is awfully debatable.

 

The best role for Smoltz is in the bullpen ... period. The upgrade there is bigger than the alleged upgrade in the rotation.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.