Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Confederations Cup South Africa

Featured Replies

The US opens the tournament next week on Monday against Italy. Three days later they play Brazil and finish with Egypt on the 21st. If they win 3 pts, I will be shocked. It is going to be a good eye opener for how far away the national team is from being ready for next year.

  • Replies 354
  • Views 34.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like the draw was pretty tough.

 

One pool has the U.S., Italy, Brazil and Egypt, while the other pool has South Africa, New Zeland, Iraq and Spain.

 

I just can't imagine any situation where the U.S. moves into the semifinals.

Top 2 from each pool advance?

Top 2 from each pool advance?

 

Yeah, top two to the semifinals. A1 vs. B2 and B1 vs. A2. Winner, of course, face off in the final. I'm not sure if there is a Third Place Match.

Yeah, top two to the semifinals. A1 vs. B2 and B1 vs. A2. Winner, of course, face off in the final. I'm not sure if there is a Third Place Match.

 

Brazil is not playing great soccer right now, but neither is the United States. We are supposedly the 14th-ranked team in the world right now (which is a bunch of crap, but anyways...) so it's time to put-up or shut-up.

 

I love watching the U.S. play and I even do crazy stuff like get up at 4:00 a.m. to watch them play - but, I don't see them advancing out of that group. I hope I am surprised.

Well, either New Zealand is the worst team I've ever watched or Spain is simply awesome. They are the sharpest looking team I've seen in a long time.

 

Torres has a hat trick in 17 minutes.

 

3-0 Spain at the 17:00 mark.

Ouch, 4-0 Spain at the half

 

That is about like being down 30 at the half in basketball.

Spain completely dominated possession. This one could have been a lot worse, and it was bad.

Spain completely dominated possession. This one could have been a lot worse, and it was bad.

 

5-0 is a disaster in soccer...

 

I would have to label Spain the early favorites to win the World Cup. They look great.

Spain is just that good. They did win the UEFA cup last year did they not?

Spain is just that good. They did win the UEFA cup last year did they not?

 

I think I read that today was their record 33rd straight match without a loss.

Imo, Spain is absolutely loaded! Torres and Villa up top, with Fabregas, Xavi, Capdevila and Alonso at mid. With Puyol, Arebola, and Albion bringing up the rear, and lets not forget about Casillas in goal. They should go at least 40 or 50 games unbeaten.

Spain is just that good. They did win the UEFA cup last year did they not?

 

European Championship. The UEFA Cup is actually a continent-wide club championship.

European Championship. The UEFA Cup is actually a continent-wide club championship.

 

Thanks for clarifying! I wasn't sure which of the two was what. :thumb:

I believe that New Zealand qualified by winning the Oceania championship. If the soccer played in the North America and Caribbean region that we're in is subpar by world standards, then the soccer in Oceania is rotten. The winner of that region doesn't even have an automatic qualifier to the world cup (Australia plays in the Asian region). Don't get me wrong, Spain is loaded, but yeah, New Zealand is that bad.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.