Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Maxpreps Pre-Summer C/O 2010 100 to Watch

Featured Replies

IMO, the answer to all 5 of your scenarios would be yes.

Either way, all these kids are excellent players and I'm not sure you can ever fairly compare these guys.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

 

Just won state AAU last week on a team where only he and Chad Jackson are considered top 20 players in state.

 

I'm not going to argue that, thats a great accompolishment. I think you have to give the rest of the Shining Stars Mcfarland credit, because they did win it the year before with out Sewell and Jackson. Thats still not a valid reason to put Sewell in front of Johnson, Guy'n, Pittman, and Jackson.

  • Author
IMO, the answer to all 5 of your scenarios would be yes.

Either way, all these kids are excellent players and I'm not sure you can ever fairly compare these guys.

 

Sewell is no doubt a great talent and the D1 recruitment he's receiving speaks for itself, but his all around game isn't as good as Jackson, Guyn, Pittman, or R. Johnson...he's too inconsistent.

 

The players just mentioned get it done when the competition is raised to another level.

Think about this for a second...

 

If you take Ricardo Johnson off of Holmes team this past season and replace him with Josh Sewell, do they still go 36-2 and win the state title?

 

Probably not... Ricardo Johnson is the best ALL AROUND player in the state, hands down.

 

Insert Elijah Pittman's name into the first question and answer that.

 

Again, the answer is going to be no.

 

Sewell is a solid player but if you replace any of SC's big three with him, especially Guyn or Jackson, I doubt very seriously they dominate the 11th the way they did.

 

Guyn is very smooth offensively and flat out gets after it on D.

Jackson can play the 1,2, or 3 and is probably the best rebounding POINT GUARD in the state.

Euton, while often criticized, has a great work ethic and is a double double guy night in and night out, regardless of the competition.

 

I also don't think Sewell is as consistent as any of those 5. All mean more to their team than Sewell would.

 

Euton is a very solid player. But, I saw Pittman get after him a few times in the Holmes-SC game last season. Euton was not to effective in the game IMO. I think Euton has a lot of work to do before he is successful on the next level, I dont think he fits in the post at the next level, and he is a tad slow IMO to play a 2, maybe even a 3 against some of the bigger schools. However, dont take this the wrong way, I do think he can make it. Just has to work, and he'll do that.

  • Author
Euton is a very solid player. But, I saw Pittman get after him a few times in the Holmes-SC game last season. Euton was not to effective in the game IMO. I think Euton has a lot of work to do before he is successful on the next level, I dont think he fits in the post at the next level, and he is a tad slow IMO to play a 2, maybe even a 3 against some of the bigger schools. However, dont take this the wrong way, I do think he can make it. Just has to work, and he'll do that.

 

Sure Pittman had his way with Euton that game but Pittman also had his way with a lot of other good players around the state as well such as Andy Donovan and Timmy Knipp. Does that mean they aren't good players either? No, it just means Pittman is the better player...but then again Pittman is probably the most talented kid in the state so you can't really look down on them for having a bad game against him.

 

You can't really judge Euton on one game. Euton's numbers don't lie and were consistently solid all year against tough competition. People are going to be surprised when they see him next year. He's really working hard this summer and improving on both ends of the floor. I watched him have his way defensively with the Sullinger kid from All Ohio Red. I don't think he's SEC material, but Euton is definetly a D1 player. He would fit in well with a mid major program.

Sure Pittman had his way with Euton that game but Pittman also had his way with a lot of other good players around the state as well such as Andy Donovan and Timmy Knipp. Does that mean they aren't good players either? No, it just means Pittman is the better player...but then again Pittman is probably the most talented kid in the state so you can't really look down on them for having a bad game against him.

 

You can't really judge Euton on one game. Euton's numbers don't lie and were consistently solid all year against tough competition. People are going to be surprised when they see him next year. He's really working hard this summer and improving on both ends of the floor. I watched him have his way defensively with the Sullinger kid from All Ohio Red. I don't think he's SEC material, but Euton is definetly a D1 player. He would fit in well with a mid major program.

 

Absolutely. I was just pointing out that one instance. If he cant hang close with Pittman, he may struggle in a major D1 conference, or at a big time D1 school. He may be able to play on that level, just not the SEC, you are right. All though, i would like to see him do work this upcoming season. He is a very solid player in the state of KY, and I wish the best for him.

I guess that means Scott County and Holmes in the finals of the State Tourney next year?:rolleyes:

 

The same projected state tourney barnburner as last year...and the year before. Next year somebody needs to make sure to distribute the Scott County vs. Holmes state tourney showdown memo to Lex Cath. The best players on paper do not always = the best team on the court.

The same projected state tourney barnburner as last year...and the year before. Next year somebody needs to make sure to distribute the Scott County vs. Holmes state tourney showdown memo to Lex Cath. The best players on paper do not always = the best team on the court.

 

 

If Scott County loses Phares a game earlier, they beat catholic in a tough game in the 11th finals. It's hard to change game style in 1 day. Give credit to Catholic though for making it to Rupp.

Absolutely. I was just pointing out that one instance. If he cant hang close with Pittman, he may struggle in a major D1 conference, or at a big time D1 school. He may be able to play on that level, just not the SEC, you are right. All though, i would like to see him do work this upcoming season. He is a very solid player in the state of KY, and I wish the best for him.

 

Good and/or excellent high school player does not always equate to a good D1 player, even for a low D1 school. And why do most of you seem to only look at points scored in evaluating a player with D1 potential. I question if some of these players play defense at the intensity and with the defensive skills and knowledge that are required at the D1 level.....If you score 20 points but give up 20 pts on the defensive end, what have you accomplished? College coaches do look at points scored, but I also have been told that is one of the LAST stats they look at. They want a player with the all round game and the body to go with the position. It takes a very high skill set to make it at the D1 level. I heard that out of the class of 2008, only 10 KY boys ended up at D1 schools and some of those have now transferred to other non-D1 schools............. It will be interesting to see what happens with the classes of 2009 and 2010.

I think Johnson for Holmes could play for UK. He is the best D-1 talent in Kentucky.

I think Johnson for Holmes could play for UK. He is the best D-1 talent in Kentucky.

 

I agree he has the skill set and size to play the 2 IMO in college, he does need to improve ball handlong but he is a well roinded basketball player.

Good and/or excellent high school player does not always equate to a good D1 player, even for a low D1 school. And why do most of you seem to only look at points scored in evaluating a player with D1 potential. I question if some of these players play defense at the intensity and with the defensive skills and knowledge that are required at the D1 level.....If you score 20 points but give up 20 pts on the defensive end, what have you accomplished? College coaches do look at points scored, but I also have been told that is one of the LAST stats they look at. They want a player with the all round game and the body to go with the position. It takes a very high skill set to make it at the D1 level. I heard that out of the class of 2008, only 10 KY boys ended up at D1 schools and some of those have now transferred to other non-D1 schools............. It will be interesting to see what happens with the classes of 2009 and 2010.

 

Excelllent observation and the reason that kids like Pittman and Sewell are so highly regarded by the colleges and others who seem to put up biggger numbers are not! I think the college coaches almost seem to consider size and strength more important than the players' skill set, figuring they can improve on the latter with their coaching.

Pittman has alot going for him in that physically he may be able to play D1, but he has alot of work ahead of him IF he is going to reach that level. Right now he is a longshot.

If Scott County loses Phares a game earlier, they beat catholic in a tough game in the 11th finals. It's hard to change game style in 1 day. Give credit to Catholic though for making it to Rupp.

 

Thats what makes the game so great. Its very unpredictable. Its so hard for any team to lose a 1st team All state player and not be effected greatly by it.

Good and/or excellent high school player does not always equate to a good D1 player, even for a low D1 school. And why do most of you seem to only look at points scored in evaluating a player with D1 potential. I question if some of these players play defense at the intensity and with the defensive skills and knowledge that are required at the D1 level.....If you score 20 points but give up 20 pts on the defensive end, what have you accomplished? College coaches do look at points scored, but I also have been told that is one of the LAST stats they look at. They want a player with the all round game and the body to go with the position. It takes a very high skill set to make it at the D1 level. I heard that out of the class of 2008, only 10 KY boys ended up at D1 schools and some of those have now transferred to other non-D1 schools............. It will be interesting to see what happens with the classes of 2009 and 2010.

 

Some of what you say is correct IMO, but I dont think points scored per game is the last stat they look at. So, i think that information is wrong. The reason I say this is simply because if they looked at defense and defensive intensity there are many, MANY good highschool players that wouldnt get looks from a D1 school. Sure, defense is a great quality in a young man and coaches love to have that, but if you're a kid scoring 30 points a game and you can make it happen on the floor, many coaches will bypass a defensive flaw. Just look at many of the college players now, and those same college players that went on to play in the NBA. Many kids dont play much defense, they work extra hard on offense though.

 

To the flip side of my opinion, I think that kids that play phenominal defense, but dont score a lot also get looks, simply because they are lock down defenders.

 

It goes both ways. Coaches wanna score.

 

And, I believe it was the great George Gervin that said: "A great offense will beat a great defense anyday."

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.