Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Maxpreps Pre-Summer C/O 2010 100 to Watch

Featured Replies

I agree he has the skill set and size to play the 2 IMO in college, he does need to improve ball handlong but he is a well roinded basketball player.

 

I agree. I want to see this kid go somewhere. He is so talented and has a good basketball mind. I hope that he is doing it in the classroom so that he can go to work on the court (and classroom) at a bigtime D1 school. He'll continue to improve and he can get it done.

  • Replies 48
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excelllent observation and the reason that kids like Pittman and Sewell are so highly regarded by the colleges and others who seem to put up biggger numbers are not! I think the college coaches almost seem to consider size and strength more important than the players' skill set, figuring they can improve on the latter with their coaching.

 

I agree with you here on size and strength. But that doesnt just have to do with defense. They want these big boys to bang in the paint and score some points as well. Being big and strong has nothing to do with being a more well rounded player. You have to be coachable and want to learn how to use your God given physical attributes.

I agree with you here on size and strength. But that doesnt just have to do with defense. They want these big boys to bang in the paint and score some points as well. Being big and strong has nothing to do with being a more well rounded player. You have to be coachable and want to learn how to use your God given physical attributes.

 

I agree.

Some of what you say is correct IMO, but I dont think points scored per game is the last stat they look at. So, i think that information is wrong. The reason I say this is simply because if they looked at defense and defensive intensity there are many, MANY good highschool players that wouldnt get looks from a D1 school. Sure, defense is a great quality in a young man and coaches love to have that, but if you're a kid scoring 30 points a game and you can make it happen on the floor, many coaches will bypass a defensive flaw. Just look at many of the college players now, and those same college players that went on to play in the NBA. Many kids dont play much defense, they work extra hard on offense though.

 

To the flip side of my opinion, I think that kids that play phenominal defense, but dont score a lot also get looks, simply because they are lock down defenders.

 

It goes both ways. Coaches wanna score.

 

And, I believe it was the great George Gervin that said: "A great offense will beat a great defense anyday."

 

 

I am just quoting what I have heard some college coaches say regarding what they look at during recruiting and I think they were mainly talking about the 4 and 5 positions .........sure they have to have offensive skills, and convert when the opportunity is there, but the D1 level wants big bodies to be able to take the pounding, rebound and guard the paint. There are some 6'7" and 6'8" players in KY that do this very well, some averaging double doubles or close to double doubles and play defense very well, they are shutting down some of the other "more recognized" players in the state, but seems they are not getting the recognition they deserve............but I do hear several are getting the letters from D1 schools.....they just don't like all the hype and then a potential let down if it doesn't work out..........We all know playing at the D1 level happens to very few players.....looks of players receive letters and invitations to the schools elite camps, but the school may invite 30-40 kids to their elite camp with only 2 or 3 scholarship spots to fill.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.