Rumor: Hicks leaving Scott County

Well, things are slow at Toyota, so maybe they aren't bringing in any parents with stud sons to play for Scott County. Are there any new businesses locating in the KCC area that could bring in parents with stud sons to play for Hicks? If there are, I am sure he would be interested. He didn't win in the 8th Region the last 2 or 3 years he was in the 8th Region either.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard this rumor during the state tourney, Steve Wrights name was mentioned as a replacement for Billy Hicks.

You hit it the nail on the head. Coach Wright's name was mentioned from what I was told.

Well, things are slow at Toyota, so maybe they aren't bringing in any parents with stud sons to play for Scott County. Are there any new businesses locating in the KCC area that could bring in parents with stud sons to play for Hicks? If there are, I am sure he would be interested. He didn't win in the 8th Region the last 2 or 3 years he was in the 8th Region either.

Nope. No new businesses. The tourism is picking up, but nothing that would bring top players to KCC.

It was in the talk with Knott, where Coach Hicks made sure he could hire his son, Tyler as an assistant! Should be interesting to say the least! Hope he comes and closes the doors to all the parents and makes them stay off the bench and in the stands where they belong. Then the kids would be able to play to their potential instead of worrying about what good ole dad is saying.

Nope. No new businesses. The tourism is picking up, but nothing that would bring top players to KCC.
The Hicks name would bring top players. He is high profile and I believe I read somewhere that he learned quite a bit from Bobby Keith when he coached against him.

The Hicks name would bring top players. He is high profile and I believe I read somewhere that he learned quite a bit from Bobby Keith when he coached against him.

Knott County has some good talent. But Knott doesn't have the population that Scott County has. Maybe get some transfers from other neighboring counties, but that would be it.

It was in the talk with Knott, where Coach Hicks made sure he could hire his son, Tyler as an assistant! Should be interesting to say the least! Hope he comes and closes the doors to all the parents and makes them stay off the bench and in the stands where they belong. Then the kids would be able to play to their potential instead of worrying about what good ole dad is saying.

There's a 10% chance of Dad's sitting in the stands and not having a hand in the cookie jar, so to speak.

Billy Hicks staying put at Scott County

Posted by Mike Fields on May 6, 2009

Billy Hicks won state titles in 1998 and 2007 at Scott County

When Billy Hicks visited Knott County Central on Tuesday, the rumors started swirling that Scott County’s two-time state championship coach might be heading back to the mountains. The story took on a life of its own thanks to TV and Internet speculation.

But Hicks killed the story on Wednesday, saying he’s not taking the Knott County Central job and is staying at Scott County.

“I’m sure I’ve got some detractors out there that had the champagne out, so I hate to spoil their party,” Hicks said. “But I’m happy where I’m at. I have no plans to leave Scott County.

“I guess swine flu got to be old news and they needed another story. Gosh almighty, these things take on a life of their own. I went to (Knott County Central), looked around, rode back home and that was it.”

Hicks, who is from Harlan and began his coaching career in the mountains, said he would like to return to that area someday. “I’m a mountain guy, I love mountain people, and I’d love to end my coaching career there, but that’s not right now,” he said. “I hope to coach at least another 10 years, so maybe that’ll happen down the road.”

Scott County was rated No. 1 in the state much of last season but was upset in the 11th Region tournament after senior star Richie Phares suffered a knee injury.

The Cardinals should be a state power again next season, returning stars Ge-Lawn Guyn, Chad Jackson and Dakotah Euton.