Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best PG next year?

Featured Replies

^I know he doesn't have the talent like Ricardo but he seems to get great results at the high school level all the same. I see it like this. Kellen may/could (and I emphasize those words) be on the same level at the high school level, but he is no where near the level that Ricardo projects into the college level.

  • Replies 119
  • Views 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I know he doesn't have the talent like Ricardo but he seems to get great results at the high school level all the same. I see it like this. Kellen may/could (and I emphasize those words) be on the same level at the high school level, but he is no where near the level that Ricardo projects into the college level.

 

I agree. I wasn't trying to downgrade Kellen. I think he is a very good player at the high school level and possesses many tools and skills that could translate to the D2 or D3 level in college. I was just trying to point out they aren't on the same level when it comes to talent.

 

Smith will definetly be a top 3 player in nky his senior year though and should be mentioned as a top 20 player for his class statewide.

  • Author

Here is how I would rank them:

 

1. Chad Jackson-2nd year playing a different style IMO should see marked improvement.

2. Jared Polson-Great PG who just needs to develop a little better outside shot.

3. tie-Josh Whitaker-Hits big shots and makes big plays.

3. tie-Elijah Justice-Very similar to Whitaker. Both have a lot of ability and are winners.

5. tie-Delquan Thomas-Will be a great PG this year as he was last year in the tougherst region in the state.

5. tie-Thomas Jackson-Very quick athletic guard with great speed!

 

I didn't put Stenzel and Ricardo Johnson. I figure they need to fit into the category of being wings, even though both can run the point.

I hope I am not forgetting anyone, but here are my top PG in Northern Kentucky next year:

 

1. Mike Gabbard of Boone County. Maybe the strongest point guard in Northern Kentucky. He is a leader that never seems to tire down. I believe he will have an amazing senior year.

 

2. Kellen Smith of Scott. Another true point guard with a knack for making his team better. He has really improved his jump shot and worked hard in the weight room. The best sophomore PG in Northern Kentucky.

 

3. Grant Pangallo of NCC. Amazing quickness. Can push the ball up and down the court with the best PG in Northern Kentucky. His jump shot is steady and improving.

 

4. Matt Trammell of Dixie. Play maker with great handles. Got a lot of experience at the varsity level this past season for Dixie. Part of a very good sophomore and freshman class.

 

5. Blake Bryan of Villa Madonna. I believe his stats are VERY inflated because of the competition level that he faces playing at Villa Madonna. But he is amazingly quick, sees the floor very well and can score with any point guard in Northern Kentucky.

 

6. Cody Chambers of Simon Kenton. Started varsity as a freshman. Amazing ball skills with a deadly jump shot. He is going to be one of the more exciting players to watch in Northern Kentucky over the next couple of seasons. Next year he will be #2 only to Kellen Smith.

 

I did not include Ricardo Johnson because I feel he is more of a shooting guard. If he was a point guard he would be #1 on the list.

 

If you extended Northern Kentucky to include Mason County Jordan Gilbert would easily make the list.

Each has the same experience as the other as Kellen has been playing Varsity since his freshman year so next year will be his 3rd go around so he has plenty of experience and just as much as Gabbard and Johnson. They are also extremely good as well I'm not denying that. Smith had a phenomenal year last year and had big games against top teams like Holmes, Corbin, South Laurel, etc etc. When a sophomore leads all of NKY in assists and is also one of the tops in scoring on a 20-win team, you know the player is good and is just as good as Johnson and Gabbard.

 

You are correct. No one said he isnt good. The kid is a player, you can tell that by stats alone. One thing I noticed though is that he really did not get it going until 15 or 16 games into the season. I am assuming he starts for Scott Highschool, is that correct? I did see also though, that he put up some good numbers against good teams. Nice work. I dont yet put him to the likes of Johnson, this kid is getting looks from UK and others, and has been for a bit. You could argue Gabbard though.

I hope I am not forgetting anyone, but here are my top PG in Northern Kentucky next year:

 

1. Mike Gabbard of Boone County. Maybe the strongest point guard in Northern Kentucky. He is a leader that never seems to tire down. I believe he will have an amazing senior year.

 

2. Kellen Smith of Scott. Another true point guard with a knack for making his team better. He has really improved his jump shot and worked hard in the weight room. The best sophomore PG in Northern Kentucky.

 

3. Grant Pangallo of NCC. Amazing quickness. Can push the ball up and down the court with the best PG in Northern Kentucky. His jump shot is steady and improving.

 

4. Matt Trammell of Dixie. Play maker with great handles. Got a lot of experience at the varsity level this past season for Dixie. Part of a very good sophomore and freshman class.

 

5. Blake Bryan of Villa Madonna. I believe his stats are VERY inflated because of the competition level that he faces playing at Villa Madonna. But he is amazingly quick, sees the floor very well and can score with any point guard in Northern Kentucky.

 

6. Cody Chambers of Simon Kenton. Started varsity as a freshman. Amazing ball skills with a deadly jump shot. He is going to be one of the more exciting players to watch in Northern Kentucky over the next couple of seasons. Next year he will be #2 only to Kellen Smith.

 

I did not include Ricardo Johnson because I feel he is more of a shooting guard. If he was a point guard he would be #1 on the list.

 

If you extended Northern Kentucky to include Mason County Jordan Gilbert would easily make the list.

 

I think this is a good list. I think Matt Trammel will be vastly improved next season at Dixie. Not only does he have handles, he can defend well, appears to be a solid leader, and he has the ability to take a game over. Kellen Smith put up really good numbers last year, i would think he could repeat that and get better. He looks pretty good in summer ball this year playing with high level competition. If you extend NKY to Mason County, Jordan Gilbert looks tough. Defends well, passes well, decent stroke, and can get to the rim. I saw Blake Bryan at a tournament this AAU season and the offense looked real solid. Good quickness and appears to be a strong kid. The defense appeared to be lacking (maybe tired though, late night, long game). Lastly, I know we have these names on a list, and its a good list, but there is always atleast one kid that surprises people. That kid will be Jake Flesch of Connor Highschool. Thats my prediction. I am told he missed most of last season with an injury. At a tournament I watched, the kid is very quick, defends very intensely, and is a good fundamental passer. He will be a true PG that could score 8-10 pts/game.

 

I am just huge fan of kids that play the game on both sides of the ball. Most any kid that plays Varsity Highschool basketball can score in some fashion. Defense is very, VERY key in my estimation.

You are correct. No one said he isnt good. The kid is a player, you can tell that by stats alone. One thing I noticed though is that he really did not get it going until 15 or 16 games into the season. I am assuming he starts for Scott Highschool, is that correct? I did see also though, that he put up some good numbers against good teams. Nice work. I dont yet put him to the likes of Johnson, this kid is getting looks from UK and others, and has been for a bit. You could argue Gabbard though.

 

Scott started 3 seniors and a junior last season in addition to Smith. They had a pretty experienced lineup and it probably took him awhile to have the confidence to run the team and score as well.

 

He is also a very good defender but that goes with playing for Coach Carr at Scott. He was also second in N Ky in steals. I would rate Gabbard and Smith as the top 2 defensive PG's as well. Both are very physical on the defensive end and rebound well from the guard spot.

Excellent list going. They are all very good guards. I also agree with Perfect Practice. I think Jacob Flesch will definately be one of the top Point Guards in NKY. He did miss the first 17 games with a back injury. He is having a good summer and at about 85 percent right now. He will be coming in unknown, but will make some serious noise come next winter.

Scott started 3 seniors and a junior last season in addition to Smith. They had a pretty experienced lineup and it probably took him awhile to have the confidence to run the team and score as well.

 

He is also a very good defender but that goes with playing for Coach Carr at Scott. He was also second in N Ky in steals. I would rate Gabbard and Smith as the top 2 defensive PG's as well. Both are very physical on the defensive end and rebound well from the guard spot.

 

Is this the same Coach Carr that used to coach at Simon Kenton?

I hope I am not forgetting anyone, but here are my top PG in Northern Kentucky next year:

 

1. Mike Gabbard of Boone County. Maybe the strongest point guard in Northern Kentucky. He is a leader that never seems to tire down. I believe he will have an amazing senior year.

 

2. Kellen Smith of Scott. Another true point guard with a knack for making his team better. He has really improved his jump shot and worked hard in the weight room. The best sophomore PG in Northern Kentucky.

 

3. Grant Pangallo of NCC. Amazing quickness. Can push the ball up and down the court with the best PG in Northern Kentucky. His jump shot is steady and improving.

 

4. Matt Trammell of Dixie. Play maker with great handles. Got a lot of experience at the varsity level this past season for Dixie. Part of a very good sophomore and freshman class.

 

5. Blake Bryan of Villa Madonna. I believe his stats are VERY inflated because of the competition level that he faces playing at Villa Madonna. But he is amazingly quick, sees the floor very well and can score with any point guard in Northern Kentucky.

 

6. Cody Chambers of Simon Kenton. Started varsity as a freshman. Amazing ball skills with a deadly jump shot. He is going to be one of the more exciting players to watch in Northern Kentucky over the next couple of seasons. Next year he will be #2 only to Kellen Smith.

 

I did not include Ricardo Johnson because I feel he is more of a shooting guard. If he was a point guard he would be #1 on the list.

 

If you extended Northern Kentucky to include Mason County Jordan Gilbert would easily make the list.

 

Pretty good list. Highlands Lother is another good point guard, and has a good basketball IQ and runs his teams offense well. Boone's Popp also plays PG. Although he has played more SG for them, he would start at PG for many other teams. Gabbard/Popp from Boone could be one of the best guard combos in NKY this year. Conner's Flesch will be another good up and coming PG this year. Bryan is a decent little guard, but I think a little overhyped. I would put both Flesch and Popp ahead of him based on their all-around game. I think very little separates the top 5-6 PGs in NKY. I would say Smith, Gabbard, Popp, and Pangallo are among the tops in NKY.

I think this is a good list. I think Matt Trammel will be vastly improved next season at Dixie. Not only does he have handles, he can defend well, appears to be a solid leader, and he has the ability to take a game over. Kellen Smith put up really good numbers last year, i would think he could repeat that and get better. He looks pretty good in summer ball this year playing with high level competition. If you extend NKY to Mason County, Jordan Gilbert looks tough. Defends well, passes well, decent stroke, and can get to the rim. I saw Blake Bryan at a tournament this AAU season and the offense looked real solid. Good quickness and appears to be a strong kid. The defense appeared to be lacking (maybe tired though, late night, long game). Lastly, I know we have these names on a list, and its a good list, but there is always atleast one kid that surprises people. That kid will be Jake Flesch of Connor Highschool. Thats my prediction. I am told he missed most of last season with an injury. At a tournament I watched, the kid is very quick, defends very intensely, and is a good fundamental passer. He will be a true PG that could score 8-10 pts/game.

 

I am just huge fan of kids that play the game on both sides of the ball. Most any kid that plays Varsity Highschool basketball can score in some fashion. Defense is very, VERY key in my estimation.

 

Smith, Gabbard, and Popp have all looked very good for their respective Shining Stars AAU teams this spring. Gilbert is one of the better PGs in his class in the state.

Smith, Gabbard, and Popp have all looked very good for their respective Shining Stars AAU teams this spring. Gilbert is one of the better PGs in his class in the state.

 

Yeah Smith and Gabbard looked strong in the games I saw. I am yet to see Popp in an AAU game. I heard that he may possibly be transferring out of Boone County... Has anyone else eard that? I know the kid is a good ball player, just wondering if he'll be at Boone.

I haven't heard anything, but Ihe didn't seem to play much about the last 10-12 games of Boone's season after starting the first 2/3 of the year. I believe he started quite a few games his sophomore year for them too.

 

If Boone isn't going to utilize him, I'm sure there are plenty of NKY schools that would love to have his services :lol:

I hear Vance Hall from Franklin County is making a little noise these days. He is a solid 6'3" now and might be pushing 6'4". Hear he put up 23 in a recent game where top juniors from around the state were invited (a performance that caught Murray State's interest). Also heard he dunked on a couple of guys in a recent AAU game.

 

I'm just incredulous that Bolus or any of these other ranking gurus don't have him on their radar screen.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.