Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Better UNC Coach? Roy or Dean?

Best UNC coach? 52 members have voted

  1. 1. Best UNC coach?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Early deflections or not, and fair or not, UNC during the Dean Smith era had more talent than any other team on an annual basis and he had two titles to show for it.

 

He did a fine job, but I still think it is fair to say that for the level of talent he had, Smith did not always maximize.

 

But in fairness, I do not think it is fair to always judge a coach on how they do in a single elimination tournament.

 

And, FWIW, Fred Brown threw away the pass and I do not think Arkansas was a 1 seed in '95. :D

 

Not until the late 70's which would have been about his 16-17th year. Before that there was Ohio State, UC, UCLA and Indiana who often had more talent than he did.

  • Replies 53
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Early deflections or not, and fair or not, UNC during the Dean Smith era had more talent than any other team on an annual basis and he had two titles to show for it.

 

He did a fine job, but I still think it is fair to say that for the level of talent he had, Smith did not always maximize.

 

But in fairness, I do not think it is fair to always judge a coach on how they do in a single elimination tournament.

 

And, FWIW, Fred Brown threw away the pass and I do not think Arkansas was a 1 seed in '95. :D

 

Don't think you can really make that claim. Ohio State, UC, UCLA, Indiana in the first 15-17 years he coached had more talent more often than not. Looking back at some of the teams who won NC's I can't think that he had more talent than the mid 90's UK team, the early 90's UNLV teams, the Houston teams in the mid 80's, some of the Duke teams, etc. I think the big names he's had gives that impression though.

  • Author
I think both are far better recruiters than coaches, and masters at doing less with more. Neither can win big games unless they have overwhelming talent at their disposal.

 

IMHO 100% accurate assesment Jim, both coaches have had remarkably talented teams that continually came up short

Dean was a great coach and Roy might pass him, but you would never hear coach Williams say it.

 

I heard Williams say he has 8 to 10 years left. I hope a member of the Carolina family is ready for the task of replacing another Tarheel legend.

Dean was a great coach and Roy might pass him, but you would never hear coach Williams say it.

 

I heard Williams say he has 8 to 10 years left. I hope a member of the Carolina family is ready for the task of replacing another Tarheel legend.

 

I hear Matt Doherty may be available ...

I hear Matt Doherty may be available ...

 

:puke:

 

 

 

 

:lol:

AS a Dukie, I don't like either one of them. I respect them both, but they have both choked throughout their respective carers. People say with all the talent that Dean had he should have won more. The same can be said for Roy, he had a heck of a team loaded with talent when Paul Pierce was there and he still didn't win. He had to go back to UNC to even win a title and he went through loads of talent and chokes at Kansas.

 

With no Dean, there is no Roy, just like without Bobby Knight, there is no Coach K.

 

I say edge to Dean, for the time being.

 

For the record, Coach K does have more titles than both men.

 

Coach K-3

Dean-2

Roy-2

 

for those keeping score at home.......

I hear Matt Doherty may be available ...

 

Or what about Buzz Peterson???

AS a Dukie, I don't like either one of them. I respect them both, but they have both choked throughout their respective carers. People say with all the talent that Dean had he should have won more. The same can be said for Roy, he had a heck of a team loaded with talent when Paul Pierce was there and he still didn't win. He had to go back to UNC to even win a title and he went through loads of talent and chokes at Kansas.

 

With no Dean, there is no Roy, just like without Bobby Knight, there is no Coach K.

 

I say edge to Dean, for the time being.

 

For the record, Coach K does have more titles than both men.

 

Coach K-3

Dean-2

Roy-2

 

for those keeping score at home.......

 

Coach K is a joke. OK not really, but I can't stand the man or the Duke program and I never will.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.