Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Triple Plays

Featured Replies

I'm trying real hard, but I honestly can't recall the last time I saw an honest-to-goodness triple play live in person (until tonight), not on TV, and I'm having a hard time recalling it. The Reds had one turned on them by the Astros in '78, and I remember going to a Reds-Astros game around that time, but I was just a little kid, and I've killed far too many brain cells in my life to recall if I was at that particular game. Seems like it would stick out in my mind, anyway, even if I was just 7.

 

Tonight I watched Bethlehem load the bases with no outs on Campbellsville, only to have the next batter line out to the second baseman, starting a 4-6-3 TP.

 

The only other one I vividly recall is one I participated in. Liner back up the gut to the pitcher, I covered second to nail the first runner, then wheeled to first to finish the job. It was second year of little league.

 

When's the last one you saw in person? How many have you seen in person?

  • Author

Or, for that matter, have you ever been a part of one, either directly (as in my case) or as part of the team/opposition?

The last on I can remember was at Conner four years ago. I can't recall who they were playing but there was runners on first and second. Nate Baynum caught a line drive at short stepped on the bag and threw on to Ben Wigger at first.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

  • Author

I know triple plays are rare, but I would think there would be at least a handful of people who've seen at least one. Anybody?

Somerset's JV turned a triple play today against Clay County. Clay had runners on first and second and had the hit and run on. The Clay County batter lined out to Somerset secondbaseman Taylor Sears who threw the ball to firstbaseman Colby Hall who stepped on first and threw the ball to shortstop Ben Purcell for the triple play. First one I have seen in person in a long, long time.

I remember a few years ago Rafael Furcal's unasissted triple play for the Braves!

Harrison turned a 4-3-5 triple play against Conner on Thursday I think.

 

Would that be 5-4-3 triple play?:confused:

A week or so ago I witnessed an unassisted triple play during softball if that counts. Bases loaded and no outs and the batter hits a line drive toward second base. The 2nd baseman caught the ball, stepped on 2nd base to tag that runner out, and the runner from 1st done some bad base running and the 2nd baseman tag the runner out. I am pretty sure this doesn't happen often.

Would that be 5-4-3 triple play?:confused:

 

It can be 4-3-5. Lineout to second, throw to first, and throw across to get the runner off third.

It can be 4-3-5. Lineout to second, throw to first, and throw across to get the runner off third.

 

I understand that...and that was what I was looking for in the explanation. That is a great play if that is indeed what happened!

It was 4-3-5 unless the announcer called it wrong on the radio. Was that correct Distorted Humor?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.