Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

8th Region Draw

Featured Replies

Any chance the 8th will ever play at the BOK arena? 2 local teams deserve the chance to play close to home in a big arena? Maybe they take the place of the 10th next year when they head back south?

 

Absolutely no chance at all, IMO. The current rotation keeps the girls' 8th region closer to the vast majority of schools, and that's important to the decision-makers. This year, half the teams are within a 45 minute drive of the host school...I think only 2 teams would be able to make that claim if it were at the BOK.

 

Plus - from a realistic standpoint - while we can expect a pretty good crowd at SOHS this week, the girls' tournament just doesn't draw enough fans to justify the cost of renting BOK.

 

And - after the debacle BOK has created this year while hosting the 9th / 10th - I doubt anyone's too enthused about sending their tourneys to it!

Absolutely no chance at all, IMO. The current rotation keeps the girls' 8th region closer to the vast majority of schools, and that's important to the decision-makers. This year, half the teams are within a 45 minute drive of the host school...I think only 2 teams would be able to make that claim if it were at the BOK.

 

Plus - from a realistic standpoint - while we can expect a pretty good crowd at SOHS this week, the girls' tournament just doesn't draw enough fans to justify the cost of renting BOK.

 

And - after the debacle BOK has created this year while hosting the 9th / 10th - I doubt anyone's too enthused about sending their tourneys to it!

 

Well said!

Is it true that the BOK Arena is interested in hosting the girls' Sweet-16 at some point, and is it a facility that is capable of hosting it?

BOK arena is the nicest basketball facility in the state. Seats about 9,400 with seats all the way up-bleachers only in the one end. Hopefully they will get a shot at hosting because I think it would draw better from Lexington, Louisville and Northern KY.

I also would love to see the sweet 16 at BOK, however with the girls sweet 16 major sponsor being in Bowling Green I cant see it moving north.

I really think it's stupid to have Walton and Simon in 8th. They aren't close to the heart of the 8th at all. I think they should seriously look at moving them out and putting the Franklin schools in. I know there would have to be some more moves to even things out, but this seems the most logical to me.

I really think it's stupid to have Walton and Simon in 8th. They aren't close to the heart of the 8th at all. I think they should seriously look at moving them out and putting the Franklin schools in. I know there would have to be some more moves to even things out, but this seems the most logical to me.

 

Where do you move them, and who takes the Franklin's schools place in the 11th?

  • Author

Article in the Enquirer said each 9th region school playing at BOK was guarenteed $65,000. That may make some one think about it.

Article in the Enquirer said each 9th region school playing at BOK was guarenteed $65,000. That may make some one think about it.

 

I'm not sure the 10th made the same deal?:idunno:

I don't think teams that make the state tournament get that much.

Ask around at the schools that have represented their regions the past few years in the Sweet-16 to find out what their slice of the money pie has been. Some schools are fortunate to break even when their team wins the region, and it is a shame for that to dampen the joy of achieving the honor of being the region champs and playing at Diddle.

Most schools lose money on a state tourny trip. You see alot of them fundraising to try and pay for it.

  • Author

Just reread the article and although the wording was confusing, I believe it meant they each were to split a guaranteed $65,000. Sorry for the confusion. I couldn't see how that total was correct and now I think I know what they meant. Still, a lot of money.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.