Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2009 Trinity

Featured Replies

What does Trinity need to do to improve in 2009? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

  • Replies 77
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reload - rebuild ( in terms of bringing in a new group of kids and having them 'buy into' the program and all that it encompasses). AS in the past three (?) years - bringing in a new QB. New running backs. A new line.

 

Probably the most ambitious schedule in Rock history.

 

Go Rocks -- keep it going.:thumb:

Several key players were seniors. The underclassmen must step up and carry on the tradition. The "Drive for Five" continues.

Xavier Thomas must pick it up at tailback. Kragthorpe must stay focused on his days at Trinity and not get caught up in "hoopla" surrounding another program locally. If he and Cunningham, et al. have the work ethic of their predecessors, the QB position will not miss a beat. Melilo, Nix, Kopp, Cartwright all at wideout will have to study well. Neal at TE may become a serious weapon. Many underclassmen received experience on the offensive and defensive lines. The staff is masterful at analyzing the pieces and putting a nice line together. There is enough depth to force the returning players to play at their best or loose their spot in the rotation. Linebackers have shown flashes of brilliance at the JV and freshmen levels. DBs will be augmented by the QBs that decide they may be better served playing a new position.

 

Only one staffer needs to be replaced and that is one of the O-line coaches.

Coach Beatty has the program where he wants it to be and the tougher schedule will make this team better come playoff time.:thumb:

 

Only one staffer needs to be replaced and that is one of the O-line coaches.

Coach Beatty has the program where he wants it to be and the tougher schedule will make this team better come playoff time.:thumb:

 

THS- Let me throw this out to you. I think the medical staff at Trinity needs to be credited too. Trinity has the secret formula since 2000 for playing tough games early, playing X in the last week of September, and then breezing through the district games and on to the playoffs virtually injury free. One concern is with the 2009 schedule being so tough, can the Rocks continue to escape injuries to their starting QB and RB come playoff time? The Rocks seem to have an uncanny knack for having everyone healthy at the right time- I don't remember a game that the starting QB or RB missed a playoff game. I know lb Weitlauf broke his ankle against Male 3 years ago but the only other injury I remember happened in the state final game with the result decided. With the Grinder schedule, I wonder if the health of the key personnel will continue. I know Cincinnati St X went downhill after Massa got hurt against Trinity last year.

THS- Let me throw this out to you. I think the medical staff at Trinity needs to be credited too. Trinity has the secret formula since 2000 for playing tough games early, playing X in the last week of September, and then breezing through the district games and on to the playoffs virtually injury free. One concern is with the 2009 schedule being so tough, can the Rocks continue to escape injuries to their starting QB and RB come playoff time? The Rocks seem to have an uncanny knack for having everyone healthy at the right time- I don't remember a game that the starting QB or RB missed a playoff game. I know lb Weitlauf broke his ankle against Male 3 years ago but the only other injury I remember happened in the state final game with the result decided. With the Grinder schedule, I wonder if the health of the key personnel will continue. I know Cincinnati St X went downhill after Massa got hurt against Trinity last year.

 

Jimmy,

I would say that the injury bug has hit T very hard the last few years going into the X game(sept,Oct) on the OL and has been of benifit to X. Yes come playoff time T has been healthy and won ever time, while some on the X side have said that the injury to key players has been an issue for X come playoff time. T has a grinder come playoff time if you look at the teams we have player from 06-08. The fact that we have as you pointed out not lost a QB or RB is amazing to me considering the OL losses. Look at the regular season match-up when X just beat on Smith all night long and he still did not go down. Call it luck if you want but to me I think coach M does a great job of having these kids ready to play from a conditioning standpoint. Trinity has been good for a long time but since the conditioning program they are currently using came into place we(former players) were never as well prepared physically as these kids are today, specifically in the last nine years.

THS- Let me throw this out to you. I think the medical staff at Trinity needs to be credited too. Trinity has the secret formula since 2000 for playing tough games early, playing X in the last week of September, and then breezing through the district games and on to the playoffs virtually injury free. One concern is with the 2009 schedule being so tough, can the Rocks continue to escape injuries to their starting QB and RB come playoff time? The Rocks seem to have an uncanny knack for having everyone healthy at the right time- I don't remember a game that the starting QB or RB missed a playoff game. I know lb Weitlauf broke his ankle against Male 3 years ago but the only other injury I remember happened in the state final game with the result decided. With the Grinder schedule, I wonder if the health of the key personnel will continue. I know Cincinnati St X went downhill after Massa got hurt against Trinity last year.

 

JR

 

As we all know --LUCK -- plays a huge role in the injury equation. But would also like to think that, conditioning, weight training, approach and overall preparation has to factor in as well. NO question T has had its share of injuries early in the past few seasons. I think that was quite evident last October. However, we make no excuses.

 

Whatever we do -- we will continue to do - and hope it continues to 'sustain us."

Does anyone know what weight range Trinity's lines will be? I know Beatty does not like flabby linemen. With the 3 Cincinnati teams on the schedule this year, not to mention the Louisville St. X squad, will the Rocks need to bulk up? It seems that T's O-line has been in the 225 to 245 range lately. Will this continue? The Shamrocks will be awfully young and will take their lumps, I'm afraid. I think it is entirely possible that they could be 6-4 going into the tournament. But as long as they're improving, I'll be happy.

JR

 

As we all know --LUCK -- plays a huge role in the injury equation. But would also like to think that, conditioning, weight training, approach and overall preparation has to factor in as well. NO question T has had its share of injuries early in the past few seasons. I think that was quite evident last October. However, we make no excuses.

 

Whatever we do -- we will continue to do - and hope it continues to 'sustain us."

Guys- I am simply pointing out that playing the tough schedule next year means that starters will play more than a half of football in many games. The more plays that the starters play, the more of a chance that a collision with a bigger faster athlete like the Elder athlete, or the Cincy St X athlete or the Manual athlete could result in more injuries. I am not talking luck- I am talking probabilities that Trinity will need more depth to get through the season. The conditioning and weight training from Coach Maddox has worked well in the past. The injuries to the linemen has occurred during the tougher part of the schedule in the past. If the schedule is tougher, then it would be reasonable to assume that the number of injuries will go up in 2009 and the back ups will be tested.

^ Tall and lean on the DL, Tall with some good size to the OL. Trinity has a lot of young talent but it will take a good portion of the season for it all to work itself out. I look for T to be 8-2 going into the the playoffs. Elder will be to much for the Rocks early on. T will beat one of the X teams. I like the fact that we end the season with Lex Cath as they are a well coached and well prepared team good to have before the playoffs. Would rather have had it been Highlands but maybe one of these years.

Guys- I am simply pointing out that playing the tough schedule next year means that starters will play more than a half of football in many games. The more plays that the starters play, the more of a chance that a collision with a bigger faster athlete like the Elder athlete, or the Cincy St X athlete or the Manual athlete could result in more injuries. I am not talking luck- I am talking probabilities that Trinity will need more depth to get through the season. The conditioning and weight training from Coach Maddox has worked well in the past. The injuries to the linemen has occurred during the tougher part of the schedule in the past. If the schedule is tougher, then it would be reasonable to assume that the number of injuries will go up in 2009 and the back ups will be tested.

 

JR, I am sorry but in many ways we are saying the same thing. As it has turned out T has as you pointed out had the injuries during the tougher part of the season, for us it is the first 5 games. I was pointing out that X fans have been pointing out in the past that X has had the late injury bug. If you look at the first 6 games it is a grinder for the rocks but it will get easier (not a knock on the remaing teams just not the same caliber of team as the first 6) in the last 4. I look for T to play a lot of the young players during the first 6 games to develop the line play on both sides of the ball and build depth for the final third of the season. This formula worked in 05 due to early injuries and we had major play from our sophs in the playoff and title win, and we have some really good sophs coming up this year. Nix was huge for us last year.

I'm a big fan of how Coach Beatty brings his kids along throught the system. Yes Trinity looses the majority of their starters from last years team. However the Juniors that will step in as Seniors next season have been groomed to fill the void. On Defense, next years team will have all basically started together as Freshman, and two seasons as JV's. Not to mention playing the majority of snaps during the forth quarter for most Varsity games this past season. On offense, Kragthorpe benefited from playing every snap as a Sophomore on JV and was Smyth's backup on Varsity. Several Olinemen saw considerable action as Juniors and are ready to fill the void and Coach Beatty developed alot of depth at receiver as well. My only concern is at running back. Xavier Thomas has been a good one filling in for Tim Phillips and played well on JV, but who is going to back him up? Next years Junior class is very small in numbers (15-20 kids). The Sophomore class although talented as Freshmen, they're still just going to be Sophomores. They need time in the weightroom to mature and be able to compete with older stronger kids. Is there an Alex Kupper or Sam Robey in this bunch that can step up and play significant downs as a Sophomore? Time will definately tell. I know this incoming Senior class realizes they need to push the underclassmen to provide needed depth for them to go out as champions like the previous four classes. They realize the expectations and the legacy they have inherited from the classes that taught them and they are working very hard in the weightroom during the offseason to continue the tradition.

Can I go out on a huge limb and say that T will compete for a state championship in Bowling Green towards Christmas time?

Guys- I am simply pointing out that playing the tough schedule next year means that starters will play more than a half of football in many games. The more plays that the starters play, the more of a chance that a collision with a bigger faster athlete like the Elder athlete, or the Cincy St X athlete or the Manual athlete could result in more injuries. I am not talking luck- I am talking probabilities that Trinity will need more depth to get through the season. The conditioning and weight training from Coach Maddox has worked well in the past. The injuries to the linemen has occurred during the tougher part of the schedule in the past. If the schedule is tougher, then it would be reasonable to assume that the number of injuries will go up in 2009 and the back ups will be tested.

 

Trinity has had no problem playing these teams at the freshmen or JV levels. The schedule appears tougher in the won-loss department. But under the surface, the additional new teams are not monsters except for Elder. Manual is better than PRP, but not real physical. LexCath is a little better than Dunbar, but not physical. Lawrence North does not place the emphasis on football as they do in basketball. They will be better than Lafayette, but not a real physical squad. Their roster for this past season is available at IndyStar.com. Elder is the main pick up and will be more physical than Butler. But, the Rocks have held there own with these guys at the lower levels recently. The fear factor will not be part of the equation. :popcorn:

 

As far as depth, Cunningham may give Kragthorpe a run for his money with Noe, Ryan, or Frederick waiting in the wings. Trinity has won with a sophomore QB in the past. Tencza will be a reliable back up to Thomas. And Johnson along with a bevy of other talented skilled incoming sophomores will be able bodies if needed come playoff time. :cool:

Could someone post Trinity's 2009 schedule?

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.