Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pat Summit 1000 wins

Featured Replies

:thumb: JMO but Summit could win as a mens coach as well.

 

One of the ABSOLUTE best coaches in America, any gender, any sport. HANDS DOWN!

 

The equivalent would be 1,000 REGARDLESS of sex, a win is a win!

 

So in your opinion the level of competition is the same in both men's and women's?

So in your opinion the level of competition is the same in both men's and women's?

 

Mine, too.

I really think that she could coach a guys team and still be competive and win games. Atonishing shes only lost 182 in 35 years and has a 84(or 82?) winning percentage. Hats off to her and she still has some years left in her for sure.

So in your opinion the level of competition is the same in both men's and women's?

 

Nope.

 

I dont see how anyone can argue that they are.

 

Only 13 schools have won womens NCAA titles dominated by Tenn. and UConn who have 13 titles between them.

 

 

I do agree that she is a great coach, maybe the 2nd best all time.

UK and UCLA have 18 between them on the mens side.

Nope.

 

I dont see how anyone can argue that they are.

 

Only 13 schools have won womens NCAA titles dominated by Tenn. and UConn who have 13 titles between them.

 

 

I do agree that she is a great coach, maybe the 2nd best all time.

 

JD I think you and I are on the same page. The level of parity that exists in men's ball is simply not there in women's basketball today. So , in my mind, 1000 women's wins are not equal to 1,000 men's wins.

JD I think you and I are on the same page. The level of parity that exists in men's ball is simply not there in women's basketball today. So , in my mind, 1000 women's wins are not equal to 1,000 men's wins.

 

I agree completely.

 

I still think she is a top 10 coach women or men.

Sounds like one of those "chicken-or-the-egg" conundrums.

 

Maybe the parity isn't what it is on the men's side because Summitt is such a great coach.

Sounds like one of those "chicken-or-the-egg" conundrums.

 

Maybe the parity isn't what it is on the men's side because Summitt is such a great coach.

 

Exactly, as the former Houston Oiler coach Bum Phillips said about Paul "Bear" Bryant, he could (and I will change it to "hers" instead of "his" on the quote)..............."She could take hers and beat yours or she could turn around and take yours and beat hers".

 

Pat Summit could be a sucsess at the mens level as well, I honestly believe that.

Edited by oldrambler

 

Pat Summit could be a sucsess at the mens level as well, I honestly believe that.

 

I don't doubt she would be successful. How successful?

Nope.

 

I dont see how anyone can argue that they are.

 

Only 13 schools have won womens NCAA titles dominated by Tenn. and UConn who have 13 titles between them.

 

 

I do agree that she is a great coach, maybe the 2nd best all time.

I can understand your point as well.

UK and UCLA have 18 between them on the mens side.

:thumb:

 

 

Pat Summit imo may very well be personally responsible for the rise of Womens basketball (at all levels) to where it is today. Summit is certainly the leader in that, she is a coaching legend and icon.

 

As for comparisons, I will say that if Pat Summit had to take her U.T. womens team and play vs. the men then she may have some trouble. :D.

Of course men's basketball is a better game:ohbrother:, what I was saying is that Pat Summit could win as a mens coach as well.

I think Summit would be equivalent to a Rupp or Wooden. I think its become much harder in the last 10-15 years to rack up those type of win numbers in the men's game.

She is a GREAT coach, and has been that for a LONG time. Until someone has more success than her (and I can't name anyone), she is the best IMHO.

I can understand your point as well.

 

:thumb:

 

 

Pat Summit imo may very well be personally responsible for the rise of Womens basketball (at all levels) to where it is today. Summit is certainly the leader in that, she is a coaching legend and icon.

 

As for comparisons, I will say that if Pat Summit had to take her U.T. womens team and play vs. the men then she may have some trouble. :D.

Of course men's basketball is a better game:ohbrother:, what I was saying is that Pat Summit could win as a mens coach as well.

 

I agree with your assessment of her impact on women's basketball.

 

To be clear, I am not saying her women's team would not do well if playing men. That's obvious. I'm saying that the level of competition in the women's game in the last 20 years is nowhere near the level of competition in the men's game relatively speaking. In other words, there are less really good women's teams than men's teams , thus, my original question about equating women's wins to men's wins.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.