Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What Surprises Me Most

Featured Replies

In UK's system, the need for some offensive value from the PG, would help. Teams simply pick up Porter at half court and force a diagonal pass or bounce entry pass. I've wondered the same thing GT has raised, with regards to recruiting a PG.

 

Doesn't have to be great but needs 6-8ppg, can deny on the perimeter, stop dribble penetration and limit TO's, while running the half court set.

  • Replies 40
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Strictly from a basketball standpoint. Would you agree he doesn't play with a very high basketball IQ? I feel he could do well as a WF that can attack the rim, but I wouldn't want him running the show...

 

he plays like a player that has been a star in HS and has been able to do whatever he wants to do on the floor and off. And now he has a coach that expects him to run the system. Seems similar to the reason why Legion left.

Not saying he is a good option, but I doubt Gillispie is planning to abandon him next year in favor of Vilarino like you suggested.

 

Why not? Vilarino may be the better player of the 2. So do you think just because Porter has been there for a few years he deserves to start over a better player???

Gillispie has been heralded as a tireless recruiter, but at this point doesn't seem to be in on any of the best available PGs left at the HS or JUCO level. I've been tracking three that are being recruited by a bunch of high major schools, and haven't heard UK in on any of them. Just seems odd to me...

 

I would add post play too. Remember when UK needed post players. They still only have a Tubby recruit and a recruit that Tubby laid all the groundwork with and was BCG's player to lose.

Why not? Vilarino may be the better player of the 2. So do you think just because Porter has been there for a few years he deserves to start over a better player???

 

Well it doesn't matter what I think, it matters what BCG thinks. He will play Porter over Vilarino just like he has played Porter over Liggins, even though Liggins is the "overall better player" with more athletic ability and talent. I think Gillispie prefers veteran experience, so Vilarino is going to have to do a lot to start over Porter for Billy G.

Well it doesn't matter what I think, it matters what BCG thinks. He will play Porter over Vilarino just like he has played Porter over Liggins, even though Liggins is the "overall better player" with more athletic ability and talent. I think Gillispie prefers veteran experience, so Vilarino is going to have to do a lot to start over Porter for Billy G.
Once you see Liggins playing on defense, like he's capable of then I think he takes the PG role from Porter. Too often, Liggins allows his man to dribble penetrate and not turning, to the off hand or baseline.

 

Porter will at least attempt to turn, into a double-team. Offensively, certainly Liggins but "consistency" from both would make UK much, much better.

 

UK may need to look at a JUCO player, with experience to help for '09-'10 season. Liggins will get better but not sure he's a PG. Perhaps a very small 3 but got to handle, distribute and make better decisions at the PG.

  • Author

I think Goins would be a great addition, but is likely too short for what BCG prefers...

Inconsistency is the trademark stamp of 99.9% of freshmen. Your seeing it in Liggins. He has the athletism/talent to be that guy. Just out of control from time to time, just like Cliff Hawkins was. He just needs some more time in the system.

 

IMO, its going to tke him a year or two.

 

A big difference between the two IMO. Even Cliff as a freshman was a relentless ball hawk on defense. He was also much stronger with the ball than Liggins as well.

I couldn't disagree more.

 

Liggins will make a spectacular pass on occasion, but it takes ten turnovers to make that "highlight reel" pass. He obviously watches too much SportsCenter........I do not want a point guard on my team interested in being too flashy unless you call Steve Nash and Tony Parker "flashy".

 

I am with "Gametime". As a coach, I want a higher basketball IQ player than DeAndre Liggins running my point.

He's a freshman.....

 

Jeeze, let him breeth...

 

Is he what is wrong with UK? NO...

 

Even UK of old had a third scoring threat. Liggins is a freshman, and I think he is good, its just going to take him time to get the whole system down. He shows he can run it in flashes.

 

I know expectation levels are high at UK, but UK isn't going to out talent anyone this year. Its going to take Liggins a year or two...

BCG is a terrible coach. He should never play anyone. He should go to Papa John's and get 5 guys to play there. He would do much better with them because he is a terrible recruiter.

 

People need to get real...:irked:

Gillispie has been heralded as a tireless recruiter, but at this point doesn't seem to be in on any of the best available PGs left at the HS or JUCO level. I've been tracking three that are being recruited by a bunch of high major schools, and haven't heard UK in on any of them. Just seems odd to me...

A very valid point.

 

You don't have to have a great point guard to be a winner. All you have to have is someone who will take care of the ball, collect assists, get steals and lead the team (ie. Cliff Hawkins/Wayne Turner).

 

They didn't score points in big numbers. Just led the team and didn't turn the ball over.

 

I look at Liggins and I see a lot of the young Cliff Hawkins in him. Out of control sometimes, next time down the floor does something great. I think Liggins is the guy, he's just hungry and wanting to prove himself. Give him time. This isn't UK's year anyways.

Basketball is a guards game now, especially PG. Look at the NBA, all of the great teams have really good to great PG. Look what CP3 has done for NOLA without a dominant big.

Meeks and Patterson have covered some of these issues.

UK struggles when teams deny ball reversal and pressure beyond the three point line. All they had to do was penetrate. Liggins actually did very well in the first half...in the second half he made terrible decisions. How can he take that three pointer in transition when he heard all week about what shots he needs to take and what shots he needs not to take.

What SC was doing was not rocket science or even very good defense.

 

I don't think Liggins has the brain capacity or attitude to ever be that guy. JMO...

Hoops IQ leaves a lot to be desired at this point.

Bill Gill missed the boat on landing JUCO PG, Bobby Maze, last Spring.

 

If Liggins doesn't improve drastically before next season, you may see a frosh PG out there for BG in Vilarino.

I wouldn't say he missed Maze...could not get into UK grade wise for whatever reason.

 

I would add post play too. Remember when UK needed post players. They still only have a Tubby recruit and a recruit that Tubby laid all the groundwork with and was BCG's player to lose.

No given OTS would have gotten PP. Was still thought to be a UF lean. BCG started anew and got him late.

 

He's a freshman.....

 

Jeeze, let him breeth...

 

Is he what is wrong with UK? NO...

 

Even UK of old had a third scoring threat. Liggins is a freshman, and I think he is good, its just going to take him time to get the whole system down. He shows he can run it in flashes.

 

I know expectation levels are high at UK, but UK isn't going to out talent anyone this year. Its going to take Liggins a year or two...

BCG is a terrible coach. He should never play anyone. He should go to Papa John's and get 5 guys to play there. He would do much better with them because he is a terrible recruiter.

 

People need to get real...:irked:

PG spot has become the issue. I don't think the 3rd scoring option is that bif of a deal. You just get a couple of guys to nickle and dime in points in rebound.

A good PG finds other people and creates scoring opportunities and "values" the ball.

UK doesn't have that.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.