Holmes 56 Covington Catholic 37

When Pittman drove the lane in the first and went up for the throw down on Maile, I knew it was over. Had he made that, I saw the roof coming off the place.

Yea I agree. Pittman definetly tried to posterize Maile but Maile got just enough of his arm to keep him from throwing it down.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arnold is still a work in progress IMO, but he is only a soph. What is wrong with Sorrell? He wasn't in uniform.

OYYT might have to confirm this but I had heard he got in an argument with coach in a previous game or practice and stormed off the floor and left the gym which was why he wasn't dressed.

Took in the action in Park Hills tonight.

What has happened to their crowds? The student section was significantly smaller than I have ever remembered it being. Has that been an issue all year?

I got there about 7:20 and was concerned I might not get in...but it was no problem.

The highlight for me tonight was Pittman's dunk attempt in the first half. He put Maile to the floor who gave a valiant effort to defend it. Pittman was UP THERE, nothing against the Maile kid.

Holmes seems like they turn it on when they want to.

Cov. Cath. guards are young aren't they?

Took in the action in Park Hills tonight.

What has happened to their crowds? The student section was significantly smaller than I have ever remembered it being. Has that been an issue all year?

I got there about 7:20 and was concerned I might not get in...but it was no problem.

The highlight for me tonight was Pittman's dunk attempt in the first half. He put Maile to the floor who gave a valiant effort to defend it. Pittman was UP THERE, nothing against the Maile kid.

Holmes seems like they turn it on when they want to.

Cov. Cath. guards are young aren't they?

Maschinot is a soph but Maile and Ives are seniors..

OYYT might have to confirm this but I had heard he got in an argument with coach in a previous game or practice and stormed off the floor and left the gym which was why he wasn't dressed.

Seems like CCH could have a few seniors quit this season. :fight: Coach L could be looking towards next season.

I agree Maschinot and Thelen had good games. Even though they lost by almost 20, it may have been CovCath's best game since the Louisville tournament.

I think it's time for Thelen to take over the starting role. He can score, he rebounds well and he didn't back down from Pittman at all. True Pittman is a much better athlete, and did out jump Jake several times, but Jake battled. Some of the other big's did not, they spent more time laying on their backside.

Thelen is probably the best of the three offensively, but he still has a way to go defensively, which is why Isler is still in there as a starter. Jake did battle though. No denying that. I think tonight was the best I've seen him play in the several times I've seen him.

Even though Wellbrock didn't score much, I thought he battled as well. Maile does sometimes force shots, but the offense still revolves around him. If he feels more confident that the big guys down low will finish, I think he will starting getting them ball.

I think the lineup should be Maschinot, Ives (played pretty well), Maile, Wellbrock and Thelen. I think Heimbrock, Counse (sp) and Wilson should be the top eight. Robinson gives a big defensive spark as well. That team gives the best combination of offense and defense. I think you gear your season towards the HC game. If you don't beat HC, its Holmes in the district, and it would take a miracle to beat them. I think this team is capable of beating HC and Beechwood, if they play well.

I'd have to disagree with the assessment on Wellbrock. Pittman really got in his head tonight and the frustration started settling in right around the middle of the third when Maile had a turnover and Wellbrock turned around and yelled something. Wellbrock was too slow and soft to defend Pittman. Also I'd say the bigs not finishing down low (Wellbrock and Isler) had a lot to do with Pittman. It's tough to finish when Pittman has both hands straight up and they're almost touching the rim. He had several blocked shots down low.

As for the top 8, no way you can leave Isler out. He may not score much but honestly how many times is he going to go against a Pittman? I think that was the only reason he struggled tonight, was that he ran in to someone that was just physically bigger and more athletic.. His defense is too good not too have him in the lineup at some time or another. It also didn't help that he only touched the ball a total of 4 times.

If Pauley can come back, I think now you can compete with most teams in the Region on a good shooting night. Unless Mitch Shover returns, and to his last season form, I don't think there is any chance at knocking off Holmes, even if they have an off night.

With that said, I think your goal is secure the 3rd seed, win the 1st district game and then hopefully get hot in the regionals. I would rather face Holmes in the Regional final, than the district opener.

Shover will likely be out the rest of the season...

Thelen is probably the best of the three offensively, but he still has a way to go defensively, which is why Isler is still in there as a starter. Jake did battle though. No denying that. I think tonight was the best I've seen him play in the several times I've seen him.

I'd have to disagree with the assessment on Wellbrock. Pittman really got in his head tonight and the frustration started settling in right around the middle of the third when Maile had a turnover and Wellbrock turned around and yelled something. Wellbrock was too slow and soft to defend Pittman. Also I'd say the bigs not finishing down low (Wellbrock and Isler) had a lot to do with Pittman. It's tough to finish when Pittman has both hands straight up and they're almost touching the rim. He had several blocked shots down low.

As for the top 8, no way you can leave Isler out. He may not score much but honestly how many times is he going to go against a Pittman? I think that was the only reason he struggled tonight, was that he ran in to someone that was just physically bigger and more athletic.. His defense is too good not too have him in the lineup at some time or another. It also didn't help that he only touched the ball a total of 4 times.

Also what I heard. One of the most upsetting situations. Arguable one of the top 10 PG's in the state and his senior year illness keeps him from playing. Maybe he'll come back for some baseball action because he didn't play basketball? Just a thought.

Big game for Thelen down low. He was in the right place at the right time and finished and really looked the best for CovCath tonight. That was a bright spot. Should move into the starting rotation, and although I personally think the lineup should be Ives, Maile, Thelen, Wellbrock and Isler, it is obvious L wants Maschinot in there, so IMO Wellbrock or Isler are going to be the odd man out. Due to Isler and Thelen having the most rebounds I'd say it will likely be those two in there.

Maschinot will be a good guard in the next two years, but he needs to stop the one handed push pass. It just isn't going to work and it's time to break the habit now. Had a nice three.

Pittman was basically a non factor tonight. To whomever said that he wasn't pushed around, he obviously was, and it was frustrating him. The look on his face said it all. I like Pittman, and I think he is going to do great thing; heck I think he is great now, but he has a lot to work on. His defense leaves a lot to desire. I was impressed with Ricardo and JJ tonight, and although Riley didn't do all that much that stood out, he played well too.

I think CovCath shouldn't hang their heads. It was closer than I thought it would be, that's for sure lol. And the starters didn't make their way out of the game for Holmes until the last 2 minutes I believe. CovCath played really good defensively, they just flat out don't have an offense. Their offense is stand around, pass around the arc and throw up shots that really just shouldn't be taken.

Ah well :) On to NewCatch.

Big game for Thelen down low. He was in the right place at the right time and finished and really looked the best for CovCath tonight. That was a bright spot. Should move into the starting rotation, and although I personally think the lineup should be Ives, Maile, Thelen, Wellbrock and Isler, it is obvious L wants Maschinot in there, so IMO Wellbrock or Isler are going to be the odd man out. Due to Isler and Thelen having the most rebounds I'd say it will likely be those two in there.

Maschinot will be a good guard in the next two years, but he needs to stop the one handed push pass. It just isn't going to work and it's time to break the habit now. Had a nice three.

Pittman was basically a non factor tonight. To whomever said that he wasn't pushed around, he obviously was, and it was frustrating him. The look on his face said it all. I like Pittman, and I think he is going to do great thing; heck I think he is great now, but he has a lot to work on. His defense leaves a lot to desire. I was impressed with Ricardo and JJ tonight, and although Riley didn't do all that much that stood out, he played well too.

I think CovCath shouldn't hang their heads. It was closer than I thought it would be, that's for sure lol. And the starters didn't make their way out of the game for Holmes until the last 2 minutes I believe. CovCath played really good defensively, they just flat out don't have an offense. Their offense is stand around, pass around the arc and throw up shots that really just shouldn't be taken.

I think they can beat the Breds. The game will be low scoring with is what CCH needs and I don't see anyone who can guard Maile in that game.

Wellbrock lets ALOT of things into his head. He couldn't handle Pittman tonight. Thelen and Isler did very well all things considered against Pittman. Wellbrock just lets things get to him, including when he is taken out of the game. The show he puts on is quite entertaining...

As for the bigs not finishing, it had very much to do with Pittman. Isler isn't a small or weak kid, we're talking about a 6'4 235 pound kid. But when you have hands above the rim, and another guy on you as well when youre trying to go up, it just isn't going to happen. They won't see another guy like Pittman this year. I did like some of the guards [Maschinot and Maile] ideas to look inside, the passes just werent there.

I agree with everything except for the bolded about Pittman. Not sure how he was a non factor when he was the third leading scorer with 9 points, had 4 blocks and probably 7 or 8 rebounds. I agree that he still needs to work on some things but to say he was a non factor? :confused: