Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Closed practices

Featured Replies

Just curious. Are coaches permitted to conduct closed practices ? I know our coach does this. No one allowed, not even parents. I was told a couple of years ago by a HS athletic director that by rule they cannot close them. Do all or most coaches do this ?

  • Replies 104
  • Views 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard of a rule prohibiting it, but I know a lot of coaches who close their practices. Personally, I think all practices should be closed. This is a good time for the young men and women to grow and mature, they have to be away from mommy and daddy to do that.

Just curious. Are coaches permitted to conduct closed practices ? I know our coach does this. No one allowed, not even parents. I was told a couple of years ago by a HS athletic director that by rule they cannot close them. Do all or most coaches do this ?

 

 

Truth is it probably should read, "No one allowed, especially parents."

One of the biggest problems in H.S. sports are problem parents. It's a small % but nearly every place has them...if a coach wants it closed, then it should be closed.

One of the biggest problems in H.S. sports are problem parents. It's a small % but nearly every place has them...if a coach wants it closed, then it should be closed.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to prohibit parents from GAMES.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to prohibit parents from GAMES.

You just went from wishful thinking, to Utopia.:lol:

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to prohibit parents from GAMES.

 

You just went from wishful thinking, to Utopia.:lol:

 

When my daughter played, they had closed practices. If it was cold or I got bored, I went in the lobby and sat at the ticket table, relaxed, read the paper, etc. Unfortunately their was a parent of a teammate that between 7th and 12th grade was ejected from at least a dozen games because he argued with the ref's. The player who was good friends with my daughter almost quit playing a couple of times because of her dad she was so embarrassed. Also, the coach was shouting instructions on one side of the floor and he was "coaching" on the other side. Bad thing about that at times was he knew more and was right, and the coach was wrong, oh well! The worst was in a close game he got ejected, which previously the team was not assessed a technical foul, but on this occasion, the bench recieved a two shot technical which the opposing team made, got the ball out of bounds and hit a three. We won a close game, but his actions didn't help anyone. And to top it all, the coach never had a private meeting with him to ask him to quit embarrassing his child, himself, and the team and school.

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to prohibit parents from GAMES.

 

I agree entirely, some of the worst cases are parents (and uncles and any other relative that happens to show up). Somehow I do not remember this from the olde days... I remember parents going into the student sections to correct problems, not causing more themselves...

 

:argue:

I think ALL teams should have closed practices. What are the parents going to do if they are there anyway? They aren't going to be able to do anything positive!

Wouldn't it be a lot simpler to handle it in the following manner. If a parent is disruptive to practice, ask that parent to leave ! Should all parents be penalized because some don't know how to conduct them selves ? I see this mentality in our society all the time. Instead of addressing a problem at the root of the problem, we want to cut down a whole tree just because one branch is bad.

Closed practices are a great idea! Better Idea!

 

Crying Room!

 

Just like church, only neither side can hear either side.

 

Now that would be great just think about it!

Why would a parent want to attend a practice?

 

I agree, I was only their 10 to 15 min. before practice was over to pick her up. I couldn't imagine sitting in the stands for up to 2 hrs. every day no matter what was going on. I among other parents have better things to do with our free time.

  • Author

Again, is there a rule that allows or doesn't allow this ? Does the KHSAA have anything on this ? The parent issue has been discussed in many threads before and we're all aware of the problems. As far as wanting to attend practices, there could be a number of reasons, however, just looking for an answer to the question.

Again, is there a rule that allows or doesn't allow this ? Does the KHSAA have anything on this ? The parent issue has been discussed in many threads before and we're all aware of the problems. As far as wanting to attend practices, there could be a number of reasons, however, just looking for an answer to the question.

 

From what I know from asking others, there is no rule against having closed practice. Coaches discression.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.