Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Closed practices

Featured Replies

Not directed at anyone on the current team.. but if all a parent has to judge their kids ability on is a few minutes in a vasrsity game then you can understand why they would be upset if their child does not play a lot. IN practice when the girls play against each other it is easy to see the differences in strength, ability etc.

 

It is also a good learning tool about what your child needs to work on. The CC parents are very involved in all levels with the girls.

 

Too bad most parents can't do this in an unbiased fashion.

  • Replies 104
  • Views 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those parents will never understand it. They're the last ones that need to be at a practice..

 

I agree 100%! So true.

I agree there are alot of stupid parents out there. Ive dodged this thread for a while but ive got to say this Lets not forget the parents that support there kids and teams they play for. Me and my wife have always told are daughter coachs if she doesnt perform in practice or games like you no she is capable set her let her think about. But like i said there are still good parents that understand. Just my 2 cents.

Just checked in on this great topic. I run a MS Athltic Dept. and I can tell you this...CLOSE TRYOUTS and PRACTICES! I tell coaches "OPEN AT YOUR OWN RISK!" Today everyone is an AAU STAR! Just ask their parents "myself included."

 

Remember this, ALL coaches want to win. Therefore, they want the best players on the floor. It is a schools SITE BASE responsibility to address eligibility issues and the coaches to coach within the established additional boundries.

 

All the discussion about driving time, just checking in etc. is rec. league! Once a student athlete reaches MS and beyond, the best policy is coaches OPEN DOOR but refusal to dicuss playing time and CLOSED PRACTICES!:flame:

 

As for some discussion about Coach Elkus....He has his hands full taking over a (hoping not to offend) a THUG program. The way they treated each other in the past is not good. If parents wanted to be involved in that program they should have gotten involved before Elkus not after his staff begins cleaning it up.

 

I know "zero" about coaching a player in basketball (why I should not be allowed in my daughters practices:jump:) but DHHS is better than the product they have put on the court the last several years. I can gaurentee Elkus will always do the right thing. He is nicer than me I would have considered a "Walton Verona of this year or even better a Simon Kenton move of 5-6 years ago for tha program."

 

Quality decisions make a quality product and even better quality young athetes.!

There's also the issue of transportation. Say practice is 1 1/2 hours. If it takes 20 minutes to get a kid to the practice location, go home and return to pick them up the parent is only home for approximately 30 minutes before they have to leave again. And with the price of gas (a month or so ago) it just isnt cost effective.

 

Our practices are closed and parents wait in their cars outside the gym doors and read a book, talk on their cell phones, or each other. Players need practice time to focus and when your parents are there it does cause distractions.

As I mentioned in another post, I've watched my sons get scolded, as you call it, by coaches. I don't ever remember them looking at me in the stands after it happened. I don't remember them ever mentioning it to me after practice. If they had, I'd have simply told them they need to work harder and do as the coaches instructed them to do.

 

 

Difference between girls and boys. Girls tend to complain more and look to their parents more than boys do- IMO- sorry.

As a parent, I would LOVE to attend practices. I want to be able to watch and enjoy my children as much as possible while they are still children. However, I realize that it's about my child and not about me. If there is ANY chance they my being there distracts my child or another player, then that overrules any desire on my part to watch.

 

I never go inside during practice, and I'm not one of those parents that presses my nose to the glass in the door to get a glimpse of what is going on. But it's not because I don't want to watch, it's because I never want to provide any impediment to my daughter or her team's success.

 

Being the parent of an athlete is hard. You have to show self restraint. You have to realize that the coach knows more than you do. And you have to realize that however talented that you think your child is, that they are part of a team. In any case, it would be better for the team to win and my/your daughter to have limited PT, than be a star and the team lose!

As a parent, I would LOVE to attend practices. I want to be able to watch and enjoy my children as much as possible while they are still children. However, I realize that it's about my child and not about me. If there is ANY chance they my being there distracts my child or another player, then that overrules any desire on my part to watch.

 

I never go inside during practice, and I'm not one of those parents that presses my nose to the glass in the door to get a glimpse of what is going on. But it's not because I don't want to watch, it's because I never want to provide any impediment to my daughter or her team's success.

 

Being the parent of an athlete is hard. You have to show self restraint. You have to realize that the coach knows more than you do. And you have to realize that however talented that you think your child is, that they are part of a team. In any case, it would be better for the team to win and my/your daughter to have limited PT, than be a star and the team lose!

 

You couldnt have said it any better :thumb:

Great topic & many interesting points both for & against. Our coach has open practices, but is very clear at the beginning of the season his reason for doing so. He states to all that his door is always open & he is willing to discuss anything EXCEPT playing time until a parent has sat and watched at least 3 practices before approaching the coach. Even then, he will not discuss playing time relative to another player. There will be no comparisons made between players, only what their player needs to do to improve. Very seldom do we have a parent asking for a meeting. ;)

 

I have attended practices for various reasons. This year to make sure my kid takes care of an injury relative to playing at all this season. She had to ice immediately after practicing as a condition of playing this year. Other times were because we felt she was not giving her best effort & we wanted to see if she was giving 100% in practice. Our coach allows parents to watch, as long as they stay in the upper section of the gym & they do not sit on the floor. He has been known to ask folks to tone it down before!

 

After many years (this is my daughter's senior year) I look back & think that I should not have been there for anything other than some of the reasons above or at the coach's request. There were times she was not very happy to see me & I know it had to distract her. My daughter does not want me there..period! Sometimes it is pride...when coach "runs them silly." This year practice is extra hard on her because of her injury & honestly, she doesn't want us to see her that way. We all like to think we have "Super Girl" & want to see them triumph & push through anything! Sometimes as parents we forget & let our disappointment show when they are less than perfect. My daughter & all of our athletes do not want us to see them hurting, dog tired, getting chewed out, punished or corrected in any way, positive or negative. The last thing they need to see in one of those hard moments is a look of disappointment on a parents face.

 

I know my intentions were good & I have always felt I was a positive parent, but in my daughter's case, she did not feel my presence was positive. She didn't voice that until this year & I completely understand now where she was coming from.

Too bad most parents can't do this in an unbiased fashion.

 

I think most parents can do this....it is just a small percentage that can't. I know from experience it is just one or two parents that tend to be problems for a coach. Honestly, if you think back to teams your child has played on, can you really say that most parents are problems? And to any coaches reading this, can you honestly say that the majority of your players parent's are a problem? Of all the teams my children have played on, (basketball, soccer, baseball, softball) I will say that it has always been one or two players parent's who seem to be chronic complainers. Think about it?

 

I personally am insulted that you make such a blanket generalization about all parents when realistically it is a small percentage that create problems. If I was that dissatisfied with a coach, I would take my kid off the team before I would become one of those parents that thinks they need to be in the coaches face at all times. I have even considered taking my child off a team because I was not happy with a coach who, imo, was worried about pleasing some whining parents to the point that the team was losing games they should have won.

I think most parents can do this....it is just a small percentage that can't. I know from experience it is just one or two parents that tend to be problems for a coach. Honestly, if you think back to teams your child has played on, can you really say that most parents are problems? And to any coaches reading this, can you honestly say that the majority of your players parent's are a problem? Of all the teams my children have played on, (basketball, soccer, baseball, softball) I will say that it has always been one or two players parent's who seem to be chronic complainers. Think about it?

 

I personally am insulted that you make such a blanket generalization about all parents when realistically it is a small percentage that create problems. If I was that dissatisfied with a coach, I would take my kid off the team before I would become one of those parents that thinks they need to be in the coaches face at all times. I have even considered taking my child off a team because I was not happy with a coach who, imo, was worried about pleasing some whining parents to the point that the team was losing games they should have won.

 

I have to agree it is a small percentage of parents thats been my take on it. And im involved enough with her teams to here and see what happens. Most of the time.

I'm late in the game and this topic is too long to read so I apologize if it has already been mentioned. My Daughter's coach has been doing this for a few years and in her parent meeting's she says "this is a public school and I cannot have closed practices; however, I highly recommend you do not attend". I have no official "rule"...just this statement the coach makes at the beginning of every season.

 

Parents in a practice can "only" cause an unnecessary distraction.

I'm late in the game and this topic is too long to read so I apologize if it has already been mentioned. My Daughter's coach has been doing this for a few years and in her parent meeting's she says "this is a public school and I cannot have closed practices; however, I highly recommend you do not attend". I have no official "rule"...just this statement the coach makes at the beginning of every season.

 

Parents in a practice can "only" cause an unnecessary distraction.

 

I am thinking your coach is wrong by saying she cannot have closed practices because it is a public school. Coaches have the discretion to close practices at a public or private school.

As I mentioned in another post, I've watched my sons get scolded, as you call it, by coaches. I don't ever remember them looking at me in the stands after it happened. I don't remember them ever mentioning it to me after practice. If they had, I'd have simply told them they need to work harder and do as the coaches instructed them to do.

 

 

Difference between girls and boys. Girls tend to complain more and look to their parents more than boys do- IMO- sorry.

Having 2 girls (one playing D1 athletics next year and the other one well on her way), I disagree with this statement! Neither one of my daughters have ever looked in the stands when the coach corrected their play nor have they complained about playing time. "Just like boys", they know playing time is earned. The creme always rises to the top! Parents (of boys or girls) that want to attend practices either can't let go or will not accept the fact that there might be players more talented their child.

It is all about the kids... Each parent has a unique relationship with their child; while some kids may be mortified if a parent shows up for practice, others appreciate the time you've taken from your day. As far as distractions, if a kid can't focus with a few quiet people in the stands, how can she focus on a free throw with hundreds screaming at her? But the decision does come down to the coach, and if he wants a closed practice, we should respect his wishes.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.