Beach Ball Classic

With so much discussion on this tourney due to Elliott County's involvement, I thought some might be interested in these scores from the first day of play:

Arlington Country Day 65

Southside (SC) 59

Pennsbury (PA) 48

Fayette County (GA) 43

St. Patrick (NJ) 71

Mullins (SC) 50

Paterson Catholic 55

Socastee (SC) 27

From what I'd heard, Arlington was the #24 team in USA Today's top 25, but was very unimpressive from a knowledgeable observer who watched a good deal of this game online? I believe St. Patrick's is the pre-tourney favorite, as a top 5 USA Today team; and obviously took care of business.

Hard to get a guage on Cedar Hill, as they have an impressive record; but while others are boasting their D-1 signees in their bios; they talk about having three players that were "All-District" last year?? They don't seem to have much size other than a 6'7" soph and a 6'5" frosh?? I think those may be the only top 25 USA teams in this tourney?? Maybe someone more into the national scene can shed some further light??

Good luck to EC tomorrow--Represent the state well!!

It's too bad Elliott didn't draw one of the South Carolina schools, they always seem to get beaten up during this tournament.

If Elliott loses to Cedar Hill, they likely will play a South Carolina team. Myrtle Beach will take on Martin Luther King High School from California tomorrow in the game following Elliott Co. I figure MLK will follow suit and beat up on the local school.

So if the Lions don't win, they could very well be assured of at least one win in the consolation bracket. :lol:

It's too bad Elliott didn't draw one of the South Carolina schools, they always seem to get beaten up during this tournament.

If Elliott loses to Cedar Hill, they likely will play a South Carolina team. Myrtle Beach will take on Martin Luther King High School from California tomorrow in the game following Elliott Co. I figure MLK will follow suit and beat up on the local school.

So if the Lions don't win, they could very well be assured of at least one win in the consolation bracket. :lol:

SC is not a basketball state. It is HUGE baseball and football. It doesnt surprise me to see SC teams getting blown out.

I watched St. Pat on tv tonight, pretty gooood.

SC is not a basketball state. It is HUGE baseball and football. It doesnt surprise me to see SC teams getting blown out.

I watched St. Pat on tv tonight, pretty gooood.

That's true, you are the SC expert on this board, maybe you can tell us why they hold this tournament in a gym that can seat 219 thousand and only 22 people seem to show up. :lol:

That's true, you are the SC expert on this board, maybe you can tell us why they hold this tournament in a gym that can seat 219 thousand and only 22 people seem to show up. :lol:

Like I said, if you were down there would you want to hang out inside? haha

Edited by STRIKE3

With so much discussion on this tourney due to Elliott County's involvement, I thought some might be interested in these scores from the first day of play:

Arlington Country Day 65

Southside (SC) 59

Pennsbury (PA) 48

Fayette County (GA) 43

St. Patrick (NJ) 71

Mullins (SC) 50

Paterson Catholic 55

Socastee (SC) 27

From what I'd heard, Arlington was the #24 team in USA Today's top 25, but was very unimpressive from a knowledgeable observer who watched a good deal of this game online? I believe St. Patrick's is the pre-tourney favorite, as a top 5 USA Today team; and obviously took care of business.

Hard to get a guage on Cedar Hill, as they have an impressive record; but while others are boasting their D-1 signees in their bios; they talk about having three players that were "All-District" last year?? They don't seem to have much size other than a 6'7" soph and a 6'5" frosh?? I think those may be the only top 25 USA teams in this tourney?? Maybe someone more into the national scene can shed some further light??

Good luck to EC tomorrow--Represent the state well!!

Arlington was ranked in the nation early in the year and I have not checked the rankings lately but after going 2-2 in Fort Myers I doubt they are still ranked. Good observance by the person there. They have tons of talent, but do not play together and play no defense. They are a very small school in Florida, but always has tons of talent :confused: go figure??? I do know their best 2 players played at different high schools in different states (one last year and the other the year before) so like I said go figure. I watched a team from Texas (Duncanville) play in Fort Myers and a team from Florida that is somewhat similar to EC (Winter Park) beat them, so I would think EC has a good chance against Cedar Hill, as Duncanville is supposed to be one of the best 2 in Texas. Good luck to EC.

Unlike many tournaments, this is not one in which the promoters set up the matchups so as to keep the locals in the championship bracket. The locals usually play those expected to be the better teams in the opening round. That appears to be the case again this year with Mullins playing St. Patrick, Socastee playing Patterson Catholic, and MB playing MLK. That tough pairing extends to the two other SC schools with Southside playing Arlington Country Day and Mann playing Boys and Girls.

There is no mercy shown for the teams from the Palmetto State.

Some may be interested to know that the tournament was headed for a number of years by Danny D'Antoni, older brother of Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni. Danny was head basketball coach at Socastee. The D'Antoni brothers had fine careers at Marshall University after playing for their father, Lou D'Antoni, at Mullins, WV. The D'Antonis relocated in MB years ago and ran a popular sports bar.

I'm watching some of the game that is being played right now and neither of these teams is impressive at all. Elliott would beat either of these teams.

I heard the announcers say that Boy's and Girl's Club (with a woman coach) is expected to be in the semifinals or finals rather easily. They must be loaded.

They also alluded to the number Elliott fans already in attendance :lol:

Here's the link to a really nice article about the Lions from a Myrtle Beach online newspaper.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/story/721963.html

GREAT article . . . and so nice for our kids! I'll be sitting right here at the computer watching every minute of the game . . . I might even have to make some popcorn and get my coke ready to keep the tradition going!! :thumb:

GREAT article . . . and so nice for our kids! I'll be sitting right here at the computer watching every minute of the game . . . I might even have to make some popcorn and get my coke ready to keep the tradition going!! :thumb:

I'll be drinking something different, but I'll be watching, as well :thumb:

I'm watching some of the game that is being played right now and neither of these teams is impressive at all. Elliott would beat either of these teams.

I heard the announcers say that Boy's and Girl's Club (with a woman coach) is expected to be in the semifinals or finals rather easily. They must be loaded.

They also alluded to the number Elliott fans already in attendance :lol:

Boys and Girls is a high school in Brooklyn. Earlier in the week, ESPN ran a two hour special on the basketball team and its woman coach. Part of the program showed B and G playing in last year's BBC.

Last year, B and G lost the city championship to Lincoln- a bigtime school. They are not biased but, of course, they could be proven wrong.

I would be cautious in declaring the supremacy of EC over some of these teams. The promoters and those who follow the tournament closely each year do not consider EC to be one of the top teams in the tournament.