Calloway 34 Mayfield 14

Good win for Coach McKeel and the Lakers. Brockman and Willis are true studs!

This could quite possibly be my last post after attending a Mayfield game!

I have been around and involved in Mayfield football for 15-20 years. For the first time I can say I have totally lost confidence in the coaching staff and their control of the team. I realize they are just kids and IT IS JUST HS FOOTBALL, but it is hard to see what has become of the mighty Mayfield Cardinal football team. The dropoff the last few years is inexcusable and the discipline is laughable at best! I guess priorities are not what they use to be for high school athletes and it is very hard to watch them talk to fans during a game and listen to IPods on the sidelines.

I have really become upset at watching kids like Mayfield's QB Guhy, LB Shultz, OL Kemp, LB Schweatman and a few others try 120%, only to be let down by kids that SHOULD NOT even be on the team. I have never seen the blantant disrespect for leadership some have shown tonight and the last few years only to re-enter the game like nothing even happened! A few tumors can really turn into a cancer as seen with the last few Mayfield teams!

Kids with jersey's untucked before the game even starts, helmets off, walking off the field, arguing, yelling at the coach to take them out, yelling at each other. Mayfield is becoming mediocre at best and it is a true shame. I had 2 people really well respected around the program ask me tonight..."When did it happen that Mayfield is the team you want to play?"

I wish the Cards good luck the rest of the way...I really hope they can recover and return to being a feared team.

I stayed at the game til the 3rd quarter. Mayfield put a pretty good first half together, played good defense, and it was 7-7 before Calloway threw a 30+ yard TD pass right as the halftime buzzer sounded. That killed a lot of Mayfield's momentum and they were down 14-7 at the half. Calloway came out and ran the ball well in the second half. Their Pistol formation had good counter plays and sweep plays that Mayfield just couldn't consistently stop. Calloway's offense is one of the best in the region, I just don't know how far their defense is going to take them. Mayfield needs to keep working harder at the little things. Their bottom line is the defense needs to step up. Mayfield is not a team that is going to outscore opponents, so they need to be able to make some stops. They gave up several third down conversions and the pass defense was absolutely pathetic.

WKYFOOTBALLGUY I warned on here back about my 1,000TH post, several years ago after we won the 2002 state tilte, that our time was up and it just took a little longer than I expected. Look at the kids we have to work with today, take away the Hispanics who don't play football and there are barely enough kids to field a football team. You hear this is the smallest school that is but look at Mayfield's numbers without the non football playing Hispanics and it is about as small as there is. It is also no secret that alot of kids parents choose to send their kids to Graves County now. It's a numbers game that we are losing as well as a few other problems

WKYFOOTBALLGUY I warned on here back about my 1,000TH post, several years ago after we won the 2002 state tilte, that our time was up and it just took a little longer than I expected. Look at the kids we have to work with today, take away the Hispanics who don't play football and there are barely enough kids to field a football team. You hear this is the smallest school that is but look at Mayfield's numbers without the non football playing Hispanics and it is about as small as there is. It is also no secret that alot of kids parents choose to send their kids to Graves County now. It's a numbers game that we are losing as well as a few other problems

Yeah, but we still field about as many kids as we did back in 2002 don't we? I agree that we are losing some kids here and there but I don't know if its a huge amount. I know that the future is looking bright down in the lower levels, I just don't know how much of that is going to stick all the way thru high school.

Yeah, but we still field about as many kids as we did back in 2002 don't we? I agree that we are losing some kids here and there but I don't know if its a huge amount. I know that the future is looking bright down in the lower levels, I just don't know how much of that is going to stick all the way thru high school.

This group looked promising too...didn't they! :confused:

I remember that TP...I actually got yelled at by a cheerleader mom last night who knows NOTHING about Mayfield football history. She told me to go sit on the other side...:eek: I was talking to someone else and said I really feel if things keep heading the way they are now, in 5 years Mayfield will be lucky to even have a team that can beat anyone outside of Class A.

I remember that TP...I actually got yelled at by a cheerleader mom last night who knows NOTHING about Mayfield football history. She told me to go sit on the other side...:eek: I was talking to someone else and said I really feel if things keep heading the way they are now, in 5 years Mayfield will be lucky to even have a team that can beat anyone outside of Class A.

Yeah, I have gotten a little bit of this treatment as well. I think a lot of us hardcore fans would be happier if we saw these boys putting forth 100% effort. We've had teams in the past with less talent do more.

Good win for Coach McKeel and the Lakers. Brockman and Willis are true studs!

This could quite possibly be my last post after attending a Mayfield game!

I have been around and involved in Mayfield football for 15-20 years. For the first time I can say I have totally lost confidence in the coaching staff and their control of the team. I realize they are just kids and IT IS JUST HS FOOTBALL, but it is hard to see what has become of the mighty Mayfield Cardinal football team. The dropoff the last few years is inexcusable and the discipline is laughable at best! I guess priorities are not what they use to be for high school athletes and it is very hard to watch them talk to fans during a game and listen to IPods on the sidelines.

I have really become upset at watching kids like Mayfield's QB Guhy, LB Shultz, OL Kemp, LB Schweatman and a few others try 120%, only to be let down by kids that SHOULD NOT even be on the team. I have never seen the blantant disrespect for leadership some have shown tonight and the last few years only to re-enter the game like nothing even happened! A few tumors can really turn into a cancer as seen with the last few Mayfield teams!

Kids with jersey's untucked before the game even starts, helmets off, walking off the field, arguing, yelling at the coach to take them out, yelling at each other. Mayfield is becoming mediocre at best and it is a true shame. I had 2 people really well respected around the program ask me tonight..."When did it happen that Mayfield is the team you want to play?"

I wish the Cards good luck the rest of the way...I really hope they can recover and return to being a feared team.

I have seen an occasional response to someone in the stands; but the i-pod thing is new to me. Is this commonplace at other schools? I never played or coached, but my dad was a HS coach back in the 60's. I can't imagine that anyone not paying attention to the game would be long for his team.