Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Why Does Bell want to play Corbin SOOO Bad?

Featured Replies

Here is my ideal Corbin schedule.

 

District Games

 

Middlesboro

Knott County Central

Leslie County

 

Pigskin- ex: Danville, Boyle, Belfry, Pikeville, Hazard, LCA, LexCath, etc

Other Bowl: ex: Danville's bowl, Pike Co, Ray Correll, etc

 

5 remaining games.

 

Bell County

Harlan County

Whitley/South alternate two year contracts

Lynn Camp/Williamsburg alternate two year contracts but play at Corbin for seating.

North Laurel, Somerset, Rock, Wayne Co, Knox Central

 

This scenario would benefit the Hounds and prepare them well for the playoffs.

 

-They would receive good solid competition in the two bowl games.

-Renew a rivalry with Bell County

-Start a new rivalry with Harlan County

-Whitley and South would provide solid competition yet should usually be winable games but allow them to face stiff competion and good gates.

- Lynn Camp and Williamsburg would more than likely be confidence builder games for Corbin but allow the smaller teams a chance for bragging rights. It would also provide a good gate for both teams.

-The last sector of games could vary and provide a good atmosphere at each game.

  • Replies 61
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The enrollment numbers are not that far apart anyway. Bell Co. has 840 and Corbin 706 students according to the 06-07 numbers.

 

I would like to see them play, but I can't see it happening as long as Dudley Hilton and Tommy Greer are involved at Bell Co. and Steve Jewell is at Corbin. I believe Whitley Co. should get the first shot at any opening on Corbin's schedule.[/QUOTE]

 

 

 

Finally the voice of reason........

Williamsburg Schedule:

 

District Games,

 

Non District

Corbin

Middlesboro

Pineville

Whitley

Harlan (Ind)

 

Whitley:

 

District Games

 

Non District

Corbin

South Laurel

Bell

Rockcastle

Middlesboro

 

(three are already there)

 

 

Corbin:

 

District Games

 

Non District

 

Whitley

Bell

South Laurel

Harlan County

Rockcastle

 

 

 

All of these games would provide great rivalries, entertaining games, and low travel costs for the schools and the fans.

 

Certainly you could not have schedules like that every year, what with bowl games, and other considerations, but would it not be great to see from a fans standpoint.

 

Upon reading, I did not mean to leave out Lynn Camp, they should also be on everyones schedule too, Dave Mitchell does a great job and has a competitive team every year.

Edited by Thomas Magnum
Add Content

I really dont care either way if these two play or not, it would be a fun one to watch, all of the Bell-Corbin games I've saw has been very hard fought and fun games to watch. I really do hate the fact that people continue to throw up the 4a-2a argument though. It isnt as if we're constantly switching players in and out, the majority of the Bell Co. starters go both ways as it is. I read the numbers posted earlier from the 06-07 year, with Bell's enrollment at 840, out of that there is 52 players on the bobcat team according to the pre-season roster. Only half of that, if half, even dresses out for varsity games, so why is the class difference even being brought up?

Here is my ideal Corbin schedule.

 

District Games

 

Middlesboro

Knott County Central

Leslie County

 

Pigskin- ex: Danville, Boyle, Belfry, Pikeville, Hazard, LCA, LexCath, etc

Other Bowl: ex: Danville's bowl, Pike Co, Ray Correll, etc

 

5 remaining games.

 

Bell County

Harlan County

Whitley/South alternate two year contracts

Lynn Camp/Williamsburg alternate two year contracts but play at Corbin for seating.

North Laurel, Somerset, Rock, Wayne Co, Knox Central

 

This scenario would benefit the Hounds and prepare them well for the playoffs.

 

-They would receive good solid competition in the two bowl games.

-Renew a rivalry with Bell County

-Start a new rivalry with Harlan County

-Whitley and South would provide solid competition yet should usually be winable games but allow them to face stiff competion and good gates.

- Lynn Camp and Williamsburg would more than likely be confidence builder games for Corbin but allow the smaller teams a chance for bragging rights. It would also provide a good gate for both teams.

-The last sector of games could vary and provide a good atmosphere at each game.

 

Sounds like a plan to me!:thumb::thumb:

- Lynn Camp and Williamsburg would more than likely be confidence builder games for Corbin but allow the smaller teams a chance for bragging rights. It would also provide a good gate for both teams.

 

Nice to know that Lynn Camp and Williamsburg would be confidence builders for Corbin. I am sure both schools would be happy to help out Corbin in anyway. :fight:Last I heard was that Corbin turned down an invitation to play these teams.

Nice to know that Lynn Camp and Williamsburg would be confidence builders for Corbin. I am sure both schools would be happy to help out Corbin in anyway. :fight:Last I heard was that Corbin turned down an invitation to play these teams.

 

Doesn't shock me. They seem to do that alot.

If you noticed I said most years. I wasn't wanting to slight Lynn Camp or Williamsburg in the least bit. There have been years when they can compete and even win in Williamsburg's case back in 2004. However, on a regular basis, there is not much doubt that Corbin would probably wipe the floor with these teams. I really and truly didn't intend on that being a slight to the teams. I can't reiterate that enough.

I too would love to see this game added back to the schedule. It's probably the best rivalry in Eastern Kentucky between the two biggest traditional powerhouses along with Belfry, Hazard, Pikeville, Breathitt, Pburg, and Middlesboro. The game is tagged "King of The Mountains" for a reason. It's not a team A is afraid to play team B type of deal. I don't necessarily think it's an Ego deal but can see how it is interpreted. I don't want to say for certain because I'm not 100% positive but I believe from all accounts, that it was can celled due to bad blood between Dudley Hilton and Steve Jewell. If that is the case, I do not think personal feelings should end such a great rivalry. Corbin has dominated the overall series but over the past 15-20 years once Bell became relevant, it has became a toss up each year. Every so often Corbin or Bell will blow the other out but generally it's a great game.

 

The game should be played because it is a game that both teams get up for. The fans get up for it as do the entire community. However, sometimes things don't go as we want.

 

In general I believe most Corbin and Bell fans agree that it would be good for both communitities if the 2 teams would play. I generally agree with Corbin fans on most fronts and get a long well with you guys. I know Coach Jewell isn't going to schedule Bell because of what we say on BGP, but I wish he would. Really both programs are great whether they play each other or not.

 

Bell Co's coaching staff does want to play this game, but its like getting married. It takes 2.

In general I believe most Corbin and Bell fans agree that it would be good for both communitities if the 2 teams would play. I generally agree with Corbin fans on most fronts and get a long well with you guys. I know Coach Jewell isn't going to schedule Bell because of what we say on BGP, but I wish he would. Really both programs are great whether they play each other or not.

 

Bell Co's coaching staff does want to play this game, but its like getting married. It takes 2.

 

Someone will have to put pressure on Coach Jewell for the two to play............but I don't think he will listen to us.:lol:

Someone will have to put pressure on Coach Jewell for the two to play............but I don't think he will listen to us.:lol:

 

:lol: Yeah I don't believe so either. How much longer do you think he'll stay?? j/k. I don't want him to be out of a job because he won't play Bell.

If you noticed I said most years. I wasn't wanting to slight Lynn Camp or Williamsburg in the least bit. There have been years when they can compete and even win in Williamsburg's case back in 2004. However, on a regular basis, there is not much doubt that Corbin would probably wipe the floor with these teams. I really and truly didn't intend on that being a slight to the teams. I can't reiterate that enough.

 

Obviously there is, as I've said before Corbin seems to only want to play local teams when they are confident who will win. Someone said Corbin's coach wasn't begging for his job in the paper after Williamsburg but him, but to me it sure sounded that way. Especially put in the context of him loosing to Bell and South Laurel that season as well.

:lol: Yeah I don't believe so either. How much longer do you think he'll stay?? j/k. I don't want him to be out of a job because he won't play Bell.

 

I'm guessing that he will stay at least until his son and nephew graduate, and they are 8th graders.

  • Author
In general I believe most Corbin and Bell fans agree that it would be good for both communitities if the 2 teams would play. I generally agree with Corbin fans on most fronts and get a long well with you guys. I know Coach Jewell isn't going to schedule Bell because of what we say on BGP, but I wish he would. Really both programs are great whether they play each other or not.

 

Bell Co's coaching staff does want to play this game, but its like getting married. It takes 2.

 

How does a Friday night High School football game benefit communities 40 apart? If you say fans in seats, most teams we play, other than district, bring quite a few fans anyway.

  • Author
Obviously there is, as I've said before Corbin seems to only want to play local teams when they are confident who will win. Someone said Corbin's coach wasn't begging for his job in the paper after Williamsburg but him, but to me it sure sounded that way. Especially put in the context of him loosing to Bell and South Laurel that season as well.

 

IF I remember that year correct, we were a 34 - 33 loss, and an inch short on a 2 point PAT, to Owensboro Catholic from advancing to the state championship game.

 

You guys beat us fair and square, we had a couple key injuries and a freshman QB. Williamsburg went 12-0, couple close games with Lynn Camp, then lost to Pikeville in the Region championship. I believe coach Jewell didn't have to fight or beg real hard for a job.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.