Russell 41 Lawrence 20

Russell's schedule is weak...but...Next year they add Ironton back to the schedule...so it is getting better. It is having to play East Carter, West Carter, and Lewis County every year that hurts...and it also hurts that Greenup and Boyd aren't up to standards. I think their schedule makers aren't doing too bad considering what they have to work with.

Point well taken ryan...Russell cannot help that they play in a chronically weak district and, to their credit, they do play the “rival” games you mention. I am glad they are going to add Ironton to their schedule too.

Russell's schedule is weak...but look at the non-district games they have scheduled:

Greenup County (county rival game)

Boyd County (local rivalry game)

Ashland (local rivalry game)

Lawrence County (even though they are 0-6, a decent 4A team)

Simon Kenton (a decent 6A school)

Raceland (one of the best 1A teams in the state this year)

Next year they add Ironton back to the schedule...so it is getting better. It is having to play East Carter, West Carter, and Lewis County every year that hurts...and it also hurts that Greenup and Boyd aren't up to standards. I think their schedule makers aren't doing too bad considering what they have to work with.

It's not the scheduling that is hurting the Red Devils, it is the lack of execution of the fundamentals! Same coaches, same game plans, same coaching styles (which has won a state championship and runner-up); it's the players are not executing as well and playing to "Russell standards!":fire:

I know the players in the past were much better athletes, but this years team is not performing to their abilities.

It's not the scheduling that is hurting the Red Devils, it is the lack of execution of the fundamentals! Same coaches, same game plans, same coaching styles (which has won a state championship and runner-up); it's the players are not executing as well and playing to "Russell standards!":fire:

I know the players in the past were much better athletes, but this years team is not performing to their abilities.

Having watched all of Russell's games this year, I somewhat agree with what you are saying. Even though they are 5-1 and have won by margins of 36, 15, 35, 35, and 21...they still aren't playing up to expectations. Go figure.

They lost one game to Ashland that was extremely troubling to us Russell fans because it appeared they quit...and thanks to the schedule, we haven't been able to see how they are going to respond the next time they are confronted with a challenge like Ashland presented because they haven't faced a team that good since.

Unfortunately, they have one more "bye" week as they play Lewis County this week. After that, though, we will find out if they have what it takes in the final 3 games against Simon Kenton, Mason County, and Raceland.

I agree that this Russell team doesn't seem to have the fire OR ability of the past few teams. They lost some strong players from last year's team in Tyler Jones, Toby Hicks, Adam Foster, Jonathan Cornwell, and Adam Bates. Many of those guys appeared to be key leaders as well.

I know we want more as Russell fans. Heck...we want to be in the state championship with the way we are spoiled from the past few teams we have had. But perhaps this year's team IS playing to their abilities???

I don't know. It will be fun and interesting to watch the final few weeks, though, to see if they can rise to the occasion.

Russell's schedule is weak...but look at the non-district games they have scheduled:

Next year they add Ironton back to the schedule...so it is getting better. It is having to play East Carter, West Carter, and Lewis County every year that hurts...and it also hurts that Greenup and Boyd aren't up to standards. I think their schedule makers aren't doing too bad considering what they have to work with.

Personally, I think Russell plays a pretty good schedule. Like you said, they can't help the district games, but they play ever other team available.

I think Russell is not utilizing their players very well. 2 of their best Athletes #21 and #38 rarely get more than a couple touches a game. While Ivan still runs off the right tackle every play. Its not hard to stop that when you put 8,9 or 10 guys in the box. Especially with the oline woes they appear to have.

Don't count these boys out just yet!

Nobody is counting them out, it's just as RP has said, "maybe the are playing to their abilities" and as ol'dad stated, "it's not hard to stop off tackle when you have 8,9, or 10 in the box".

My point is that they are not as good as they (Russell) think they are and they are getting more "exposed" on a weekly basis, due to the competition.

Lawrence showed that Russell does not have any defensive pressure and the secondary is very suspect. The coaches (russell) was seen to be frustrated with the lack of focus and execution by the players.

:confused:

Also, as far as pass coverage goes. That has always been Russell's biggest weak spot on defense. It seems they always stay in the same package no matter what. They run that zone that has quite a few holes in it when going against the spread. Especially to the underneath passes.

Nobody is counting them out, it's just as RP has said, "maybe the are playing to their abilities" and as ol'dad stated, "it's not hard to stop off tackle when you have 8,9, or 10 in the box".

My point is that they are not as good as they (Russell) think they are and they are getting more "exposed" on a weekly basis, due to the competition.

Lawrence showed that Russell does not have any defensive pressure and the secondary is very suspect. The coaches (russell) was seen to be frustrated with the lack of focus and execution by the players.

:confused:

I think poor tackling was Russell's biggest defensive issue, IMHO.

It's good to be able to get back on here. I have been unable to get to the BGP website the last few times I tried. I'm glad the boys got the win, but this Russell team just doesn't seem to play up to the level that we've come to expect from the Red Devils. I know we've been spoiled the last few years, but I know this team can play better than they've been showing. Hopefully they will pick up the intensity, and improve the next few weeks.

I would agree with this.

I think poor tackling was Russell's biggest defensive issue, IMHO.

Spin, How many games do you think this has been issue now? Even when they win, they don't tackle well. (i.e. Boyd Co win).

May I remind everyone that this Russell team still likes to hit if given a chance, they just don't want to "wrap up" and tackle their opponent.