Russell 41 Lawrence 20

Good hard fought win for Russell, I listened to some of it and Russell dug deep and played good when they had to. Congratulations to Russell.

I really feel for Lawrence, it sounds like they are doing a lot of things right, but just can't put games away. I know they will continue to improve. Good luck to them.

Lawrence County is a good team with a very good quarterback. They are undoubtedly the best 0-6 team I've ever seen! I think they will be the favorite in both of their next two games against Rowan County and Greenup County. Keep up the effort Lawrence County because you guys really do have a good team.

This was a close game (if that can be said about a game that ended with a 21 point margin). The last 2 touchdowns were sort of after the fact.

Russell played a pretty good game tonight, though. Abrams is difficult to bring down. Bailey and Cordle also ran the ball well. The defense made stops when they had to. I think all areas of their game still need work, though. They are clearly not running on all cylinders yet...and it will take this if they want to go deep into the playoffs this year.

Another tough loss for LC. Everything I hear from Louisa is that the Dawgs have all the ingredients for a fine football team, they just haven’t been able to put all the pieces together…..yet. I truly hope this LC team can stay committed to getting better and coming out fresh for each game. The wins will come, just keep working hard fellas.

Congrats to Russell. Up next is who?....Lewis County…an 0 – 5 team who had an open date this past week.

Of the games that Russell has won, how many wins do those opponents have?

Non-District games:

Greenup Co. has 1 win (over Rowan, by 1 point)

Boyd Co. has 3 wins (East Carter, Pike Central & Lawarence Co.)

Lawarence Co. has no wins (but have played a brutal schedule)

District games:

East Carter has no wins

Who else have they played, West Carter? How many wins?

Now Lewis, also winless?

Of the games that Russell has won, how many wins do those opponents have?

Greenup Co. has 1 win (over Rowan, by 1 point)

Boyd Co. has 3 wins (East Carter, Pike Central & Lawarence Co.)

East Carter has no wins

Lawarence Co. has no wins

Who else have they played, West Carter? How many wins?

West has a grand total of ONE win...and that was against still winless Lewis Co.

This type of game looks good in the W/L column...but I really wonder how much it helps Russell develop as a team. Obviously, it aids in the development of underclassmen with valuable varsity experience, but the caveat to this is it works against game type conditioning for the starters….we saw evidence of that back on September 19th.

^^^ That's what I was thinking Painter.

But, they do have a few tests on the regular season schedule: Mason Co., Simon Kenton and Raceland. I think they may loose all of those. It will make for interesting discussion in future weeks.

....they do have a few tests on the regular season schedule: Mason Co., Simon Kenton and Raceland. I think they may loose all of those. It will make for interesting discussion in future weeks.

Very true Graybeard...at least 25% of Russell's schedule is of the non-cupcake variety. Russell’s last 3 games you mention will be a struggle for the Devils but at least two out of the three are played at the friendly confines of “The Hank”. Perhaps ending the season with worthy opponents will challenge the Devils and keep their starters on the field in the second half.

Another tough loss for LC, as TRR said, this was a good football game and the score was no indication of how tough LC played Russell. I still believe that LC is ready to break out. They get a win (in which I thought that they would tonight) and that is al they will need to really take off.

I hope that the LCHS kids stay positive and keep working hard. Keep believing and working and good things will happen.

After this week 0-5 Lewis county, Russell will only win one more game the remainder of the year! That may only be a first round home playoff win.

Russell is struggling majorly for "Russell Standards", and they need some major improvements in many, many areas before the playoffs.

They still can not tackle! They can hit hard but they do not wrap up their arms.

There is no pressure by the d-line, and the secondary is confused.

They are not executing Coach Morris' game plans.

QB play is spotty, he seems to be slingin it to an area with a prayer and hope instead of delivering passes as he was earlier this year. It could be because he has been getting drilled by D's the last 3 weeks (poor line protection).

Finally, the on field observed "enthusiasm" is low and I don't see many (if any) senior leaders stepping up.

I think Abrams and Rice are the Devils only hope and they will determine Russell's fate(s) week after week.

Russell's schedule is weak...but look at the non-district games they have scheduled:

Greenup County (county rival game)

Boyd County (local rivalry game)

Ashland (local rivalry game)

Lawrence County (even though they are 0-6, a decent 4A team)

Simon Kenton (a decent 6A school)

Raceland (one of the best 1A teams in the state this year)

Next year they add Ironton back to the schedule...so it is getting better. It is having to play East Carter, West Carter, and Lewis County every year that hurts...and it also hurts that Greenup and Boyd aren't up to standards. I think their schedule makers aren't doing too bad considering what they have to work with.