August 16, 200818 yr Sharing: A lesson on human nature I was talking to a friend of mine's little girl the other day. I asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up and she replied, "I want to be President!" "If you were President what would be the first thing you would do?", I asked her. ( Both of her parents are liberal Democrats and were standing there ) She replied, "I'd give houses to all the homeless people." "Wow - what a worthy goal." I told her, "You don't have to wait until you're President to do that. You can come over to my house and mow the grass, pull weeds, and sweep my driveway, and I'll pay you $50. Then I'll take you over to t he grocery store where this homeless guy hangs out, and you can give him the $50 to use toward a new house." Since she is only 6, she thought that over for a few seconds. While her Mom glared at me, she looked me straight in the eye and asked, "Why doesn't the homeless guy come over and do the work, and you can just pay him the $50?" And I said, "Welcome to the Republican Party." Her folks still aren't talking to me.
August 16, 200818 yr Can he mow your lawn everyday and you feed him lunch, dinner and supper for 3 full years while you provide medical care and clothing? Because at that point he can then buy his own home. Otherwise, the story is just silly and an attack on the homeless, suggesting that they shoud just come mow your lawn.
August 16, 200818 yr Author ^ hahahah IF that's what makes you feel better, sure..... There is plenty of work out there.....we are talking about choices. And, no, the story isn't about making fun of the homeless, its about making fun of Democrats and welfare.
August 16, 200818 yr Can he mow your lawn everyday and you feed him lunch, dinner and supper for 3 full years while you provide medical care and clothing? Because at that point he can then buy his own home. Otherwise, the story is just silly and an attack on the homeless, suggesting that they shoud just come mow your lawn. Who says anyone has to provide you lunch, dinner, supper, clothing and medical care? RP's point is work and take care of yourself.
August 16, 200818 yr I'm a conservative Demo, story didn't bother me, just waiting until the lowest ranking President in history is out of here. Anybody McClain/Obama just hope they are better.
August 17, 200818 yr Who says anyone has to provide you lunch, dinner, supper, clothing and medical care? RP's point is work and take care of yourself. The premise of the story is that the homeless man chooses to be homeless, and the understanding of the 6 year old could make her wonder. However to tell a 6 year old that a homeless man could make a down payment and continue making mortgage payments by simply mowing someone's lawn for 50 bucks is silly. I hope that my 11 year old and my 7 year old will/do have a better understanding of the factors that go into homelessness in this country. I hope they understand that a large portion of homeless people are there because of mental health issues and that our country does a poor job of making sure that the mentally ill are properly cared for and as a result many end up on the street. I also hope they know that sometimes factories shut down and people who had jobs for 12, 15, 20 years are now without work and cannot find employment that allows them to continue to make mortgage or rental payments. I want them to understand that once homeless and jobless it is tough to get a job b/c you can't leave contact information to set up an interview and you certainly can't clean up to make yourself presentable. Mostly I hope they understand that even though some people will attempt to portray it as such, that homelessness is NOT a choice and people don't end up there simply because they are lazy. I hope they understand all of this and maintain their grounding in the democratic party.
August 17, 200818 yr The premise of the story is that the homeless man chooses to be homeless, and the understanding of the 6 year old could make her wonder. However to tell a 6 year old that a homeless man could make a down payment and continue making mortgage payments by simply mowing someone's lawn for 50 bucks is silly. I hope that my 11 year old and my 7 year old will/do have a better understanding of the factors that go into homelessness in this country. I hope they understand that a large portion of homeless people are there because of mental health issues and that our country does a poor job of making sure that the mentally ill are properly cared for and as a result many end up on the street. I also hope they know that sometimes factories shut down and people who had jobs for 12, 15, 20 years are now without work and cannot find employment that allows them to continue to make mortgage or rental payments. I want them to understand that once homeless and jobless it is tough to get a job b/c you can't leave contact information to set up an interview and you certainly can't clean up to make yourself presentable. Mostly I hope they understand that even though some people will attempt to portray it as such, that homelessness is NOT a choice and people don't end up there simply because they are lazy. I hope they understand all of this and maintain their grounding in the democratic party. :thumb::thumb:
August 17, 200818 yr The premise of the story is that the homeless man chooses to be homeless, and the understanding of the 6 year old could make her wonder. However to tell a 6 year old that a homeless man could make a down payment and continue making mortgage payments by simply mowing someone's lawn for 50 bucks is silly. I hope that my 11 year old and my 7 year old will/do have a better understanding of the factors that go into homelessness in this country. I hope they understand that a large portion of homeless people are there because of mental health issues and that our country does a poor job of making sure that the mentally ill are properly cared for and as a result many end up on the street. I also hope they know that sometimes factories shut down and people who had jobs for 12, 15, 20 years are now without work and cannot find employment that allows them to continue to make mortgage or rental payments. I want them to understand that once homeless and jobless it is tough to get a job b/c you can't leave contact information to set up an interview and you certainly can't clean up to make yourself presentable. Mostly I hope they understand that even though some people will attempt to portray it as such, that homelessness is NOT a choice and people don't end up there simply because they are lazy. I hope they understand all of this and maintain their grounding in the democratic party. While there are legitimate people who do truly need help there are many more who simply expect a handout. I for one, do not want to enable them. While we need to help those that do indeed need the help we also need to make sure that the able bodied aren't simply abusing the system. I am for less entitlements and allowing the system only to help those who are truly needy. I wouldn't mind paying taxes so much then----if I knew for sure it was going to those that need it and not to those who are simply too sorry to get a job.
August 17, 200818 yr I for one think that it is wonderful that you went and picked the homelessman up and brought him back to your house and paid him $50 to mow your lawn.
August 17, 200818 yr While there are legitimate people who do truly need help there are many more who simply expect a handout. I for one, do not want to enable them. While we need to help those that do indeed need the help we also need to make sure that the able bodied aren't simply abusing the system. I am for less entitlements and allowing the system only to help those who are truly needy. I wouldn't mind paying taxes so much then----if I knew for sure it was going to those that need it and not to those who are simply too sorry to get a job. Really?? There are people who could live in a house but choose to live under a bridge or in a box just waiting on someone to give them a handout?? Link???
August 17, 200818 yr Really?? There are people who could live in a house but choose to live under a bridge or in a box just waiting on someone to give them a handout?? Link??? Surprisingly enough, yes.
August 17, 200818 yr While there are legitimate people who do truly need help there are many more who simply expect a handout. I for one, do not want to enable them. While we need to help those that do indeed need the help we also need to make sure that the able bodied aren't simply abusing the system. I am for less entitlements and allowing the system only to help those who are truly needy. I wouldn't mind paying taxes so much then----if I knew for sure it was going to those that need it and not to those who are simply too sorry to get a job. :thumb: I do disagree that there are more who expect a handout. I believe they are in the minority. Possibly a large minority, but a minority.
August 17, 200818 yr Honestly, I think people confuse and try to lump together the issues of homelessness and welfare abuse. They are two very separate issues. Fixing one will not fix the other...except if the welfare system is fixed, and abuse is erradicated, it could open up financial opportunities to focus toward ending homelessness. In 2003, Louisville experienced a 109% increase in homelesseness. You know what the largest growing segment was? Families. Whole families with young children. I have the hardest time thinking that these families would choose to live 4 or 5 to a room in a homeless shelter.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.