Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Championship Built on Transfers. Is This Honorable?

Featured Replies

This discussion is applicable to all sports and I considered putting it the General Discussion Forum. However since it's a hot basketball topic at the moment, lets do it here.

 

My question is: If a number of players decide to transfer in to a school other than where they were developed for the purpose of joining other players and enhancing their chances at winning a championship, is there any honor in this? Should a coach recieve accolades for winning with what amounts to an all-star team? Should the fans take pride in a made-for-the-tournament team consisting somewhat of players that they didn't even know a couple of years ago? If I take your best player, someone else's best player, and another's best player and beat you, what have I accomplished? Wouldn't homegrown talent developed and polished be much more a source of pride?

 

Some will say kudos to the recipient school for building a winning program that attracts good players from other areas. I will counter with perhaps it is the reverse. It is the transfers that keep the program on top.

 

I'm not really looking to discuss is it legal, ethical, fair, or moral. I'm asking is it honorable. Anyone remember honor?

 

What say you?

  • Replies 81
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I normally cheer for teams with mostly homegrown talent. Most teams will pick up a transfer here and there but sometimes it is just absurd and I normally don't root for those teams.

How can anyone fault a school for receiving transfers because they have a superior program, whatever that program is? Isn't that the point? Or, do you guys want coaches to get good enough to win on occasion, so they don't receive kids that want to play in a good program? Kudos to their coach and community for building a great program.

 

No one will say a word if a kid transfers because a school has a tremendous Arts program.

 

Games still must be played and kids must still be coached.

 

Now, if recruiting is involved that is a different story. Since that hasn't been proven, hell yes it's honorable...

I don't blame the schools for receiving transfers. Kids show up for a reason.

 

However I get the point of the question. Its more romantic if the starting 5 have been together since grade school and grew up running around together. It especially is true in smaller communities.

 

The problem with the Scott County situation , which lends credence to the question posed, is that it seems so orchestrated. That's where people have problems with it.

I don't blame the schools for receiving transfers. Kids show up for a reason.
Zactly...

 

However I get the point of the question. Its more romantic if the starting 5 have been together since grade school and grew up running around together. It especially is true in smaller communities.
Agreed, but people should complain about classification in basketball more than a school receiving transfers...

 

The problem with the Scott County situation , which lends credence to the question posed, is that it seems so orchestrated. That's where people have problems with it.
But by whom?

Scott County has not won next season's championship yet, and in my opinion they are not as good as the team led by Walls and Mackey. After having seen this group play, I think they can be beaten by several teams in the state. I also don't think they have a cakewalk in the 11th.

 

The fact that Scott County is currently the hottest school for transfers is what it is. I think what you will see is the majority of basketball fans around the state cheering against them. If they make to Rupp, the majority of the crowd will be cheering for their opponent. They will be the big transfer machine that everyone will be trying to upset.

 

We all love this story in sports, the mighty favorite vs the underdog.

 

Who cares if it honorable or not, I'm cheering for the underdog!!!!!

  • Author
I don't blame the schools for receiving transfers. Kids show up for a reason.

 

 

Basketball is especially subseptable to one or two players making a major difference. Let's theoreticly suppose that, as often happens, a school with a good coach just happens to get a dominant class that puts them at the top of their region for 3 years back to back. Now, a nearby school is struggling but has a hotshot class of their own in 8th grade. Two of these kids decide to transfer to the "hot" school of the moment while a few others stay behind and form the nucleas of a regional runner up. The defending regional champ has reloaded with no effort on their part while the also ran continues with a bit better team than usual.

 

For you, Sticky, what has team 'A' done to deserve the transfers? They won, but almost everyone gets a good class now and then. Now they have a self fulfilling prophesy. Team 'A' continues to get team B's (and C and D )players, thus keeping team B from rising up to challenge.

 

No recruiting involved. All legal. All fair. Still honorable?

Edited by STRIKE3

Zactly...

 

Agreed, but people should complain about classification in basketball more than a school receiving transfers...

 

But by whom?

 

By the players/families themselves.

Basketball is especially subseptable to one or two players making a major difference. Let's theoreticly suppose that, as often happens, a school with a good coach just happens to get a dominant class that puts them at the top of their region for 3 years back to back. Now, a nearby school is struggling but has a hotshot class of their own in 8th grade. Two of these kids decide to transfer to the "hot" school of the moment while a few others stay behind and form the nucleas of a regional runner up. The defending regional champ has reloaded with no effort on their part while the also ran continues with a bit better team than usual.

 

For you, Sticky, what has team 'A' done to deserve the transfers? They won, but almost everyone gets a good class now and then. Now they have a self fulfilling prophesy. Team 'A' continues to get team B's (and C and D )players, thus keeping team B from rising up to challenge.

 

No recruiting involved. All legal. All fair. Still honorable?

 

Why is it the school's fault that they got the transfers (assuming we don't suspect actual recruiting)? Why is it dishonorable on their behalf?

 

Don't blame the schools in basketball. Blame AAU and the families.

  • Author

 

Don't blame the schools in basketball. Blame AAU and the families.

 

OK, AAU and families.

 

Besides, I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just asking is manuevering an honorable way to achieve a championship.

Perhaps we should look at the last few champions and ask if all of their kids were "homegrown". Was last year's? The year before? In today's climate there are gonna be alot of changes for parents and their employment. Nature of the beast. And when that happens and kids move along to other schools, there will be those up in arms crying foul. Honor,,,,, if you have to grow up and stay in one place as an athlete, and then assume that all of your teammates are of the same ilk, if that is the definition of honor, then there are few (or none) honorable.

I am not faulting schools for receiving all these guys I am just choosing to root for other teams that don't have these benefits.

I am not faulting schools for receiving all these guys I am just choosing to root for other teams that don't have these benefits.

I suppose you're cheering for the minority then.

I am not faulting schools for receiving all these guys I am just choosing to root for other teams that don't have these benefits.
If I'm understanding some of the posts, it's okay to have your own players grow up but not include, any players that have moved into a system.

 

If that is true, which is worse.

 

(1) Those that leave a system, they have been a part of for years, but decide to leave after their Sophomore year.

 

(2) Those that move into a system, from another school. Is the school which accepts them, less honorable.

 

I'll offer one more comment. Is it honorable, for a class A school of 300 or less, to play against 5A or 6A schools, of 1,800 or more to compete for a title.

  • Author
Perhaps we should look at the last few champions and ask if all of their kids were "homegrown". Was last year's? The year before? In today's climate there are gonna be alot of changes for parents and their employment. Nature of the beast. And when that happens and kids move along to other schools, there will be those up in arms crying foul. Honor,,,,, if you have to grow up and stay in one place as an athlete, and then assume that all of your teammates are of the same ilk, if that is the definition of honor, then there are few (or none) honorable.

 

 

I'm not referring to the few who incidentally move in or out. I think we all know that I'm talking about powerhouse programs filling needs with players from outside.

 

And I'm not referring to past, present, or future champions.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.