Dale: Does He Win Against Better Teams?

Clyde

HHS is almost always the better team in a matchup. However, their tough schedule does offer them the chance to be the underdog.

How often has Dale led a HHS team to a victory over a team that knowledgeable people would say was as good or better than Highlands?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those 3A games against Lex Cath and Cov Cath, I would say folks would have had these teams as at least as good. In 2002, I think a lot of folks had Lex Cath as a better team with Jacob Doss at QB and the Knights getting the home game. Bluebirds won that one 31-24 (grrrr!).

Also, I have heard that CovCath was a better team than Highlands in 2005, yet HHS beat CovCath at CovCath to win the district that year. CovCath then went on to give LexCath a big scare down in Lexington, after which LexCath shut out HHS 17-0 at HHS a week later en route to winning state.

Another game that sticks out is the Highlands-Mason County regional final game in 2003, which HHS won by a TD. That Mason County team was very talented, with stars Lofton and Grutza (among others) on the squad. I don't know which team was "better," but both teams were comparable I'd say.

Yet another game was the 1998 contest between Male and Highlands, which HHS won by 10. Male then went on to win Class 4A. I'm not sure how good Male was compared with HHS (this was Lorenzen's senior year), but they did go on to win the state's big-class title.

Still another game could be the 1996 HHS-Louisville Saint X game. I have no idea how good Saint X was this year, but the game was close (within one TD) and Saint X rarely puts a bad product on the field.

I will say that there have been enough games between Mueller's Highlands and first-tier teams like Cincy Elder, Cincy Moeller and Columbus DeSales which have been barely lost by HHS to give the impression that Mueller/HHS usually lose games against superior/equal talent. One thing to keep in mind is Mueller's outstanding W/L record against CovCath, a program with a strong talent base and history.

Edited by jbwill2

Its pretty much short for "look at the scoreboard".......after the game and Highlands has won (most of the time anyway)

Yeah, I know what scoreboard means. I don't know what it means in relation to this thread.

Scoreboard is what you say when you're up big and a yappy 3rd stringer from the other team gets in and starts talking trash. Quite appropriate I do believe.

That made me chuckle. Hats off to you. This is exactly why this wasn't posted by Ft T people even though they're (some of them) are the ones that are saying it.

But that did make me laugh. I might have to change my id to "yappy3rdstringer."