Kentucky teams traveling in July

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to Phares? Not much chatter about his game.

Your right--we haven't given Richie a lot of love over the summer. Richie has not been fantastic, but steady with his play. He has a 6'7' DIV I body and a DIV I skill package to match. Had 39 last year against Madison Central and wouldn't surprise me if he has a 40+ game this year. He is a very talented young man with tremendous potential. Word is that Miami, Ohio is courting him heavy. They had another good player named Wally who now plays in the NBA. Wally was 6'7" and Richie has some of those same skills. Probably not the long range shooter right now that Wally is, but he has the potential to be. Very good mechanics and fundamentals on his outside shot, he has quickness to the basket and showed many times the ability to finish with the jam and can really jump and explode when on the move. Another super kid with some really nice parents. He is a talent..........

Your right--we haven't given Richie a lot of love over the summer. Richie has not been fantastic, but steady with his play. He has a 6'7' DIV I body and a DIV I skill package to match. Had 39 last year against Madison Central and wouldn't surprise me if he has a 40+ game this year. He is a very talented young man with tremendous potential. Word is that Miami, Ohio is courting him heavy. They had another good player named Wally who now plays in the NBA. Wally was 6'7" and Richie has some of those same skills. Probably not the long range shooter right now that Wally is, but he has the potential to be. Very good mechanics and fundamentals on his outside shot, he has quickness to the basket and showed many times the ability to finish with the jam and can really jump and explode when on the move. Another super kid with some really nice parents. He is a talent..........

So Phares' stock is dropping now? He was projected as the top player for the DS Allstars.

BCG, coach Cox and Coach Webster have all attended Jenkins' games at It Takes 5 and the HoopFest.

Kentucky Gators won again and are in the championship game in the Mountaineer Division.

I heard the Mountaineer Division looked pretty bad, about like high school JV teams. Can't be too hard to put up big numbers against these teams.

I heard the Mountaineer Division looked pretty bad, about like high school JV teams. Can't be too hard to put up big numbers against these teams.

It was not the same as the It Takes 5 and the Hoopfest thats for certain. But the Mountaineer pools were no different than the rest of the tournament in terms of talent. The Peach Jam took a lot of the top teams away from the southeast. There was no ATL Celtics and Indiana Elite, Seattle Select type teams there, but the Jamfest did do well in attracting coaches. It was down slightly from last year. The Mountaineer Division was not different from the rest of the tourney. You had to be there.

Edited by BGElite

So Phares' stock is dropping now? He was projected as the top player for the DS Allstars.

I wouldn't say Richie's stock is dropping. Richie is still Richie and a top 10 player in the state in my opinion. I would say Richie's stock was up in the last season and is still up high right now. He has been steady and solid all summer from the 15 games or so I saw.

MAYBE SHOOTER CAN WEIGH IN ON THIS ONE WITH HIS PERSPECTIVE FROM SEEING MORE GAMES THAN I HAVE THROUGHOUT THE SUMMER!!!!!

I wouldn't say Richie's stock is dropping. Richie is still Richie and a top 10 player in the state in my opinion. I would say Richie's stock was up in the last season and is still up high right now. He has been steady and solid all summer from the 15 games or so I saw.

MAYBE SHOOTER CAN WEIGH IN ON THIS ONE WITH HIS PERSPECTIVE FROM SEEING MORE GAMES THAN I HAVE THROUGHOUT THE SUMMER!!!!!

Phares has gotten much better. In fact, its his ability to play inside/out on both ends that makes the DS team go. He has improved his range and his footspeed and you can tell he's worked hard at both. I just do not believe he gets enough recognition for all that he does to make other's on his team job's easier. He WILL be the leader for a tough Scott County team that will be top 3, if not 1, in the state coming up this year.

Phares has gotten much better. In fact, its his ability to play inside/out on both ends that makes the DS team go. He has improved his range and his footspeed and you can tell he's worked hard at both. I just do not believe he gets enough recognition for all that he does to make other's on his team job's easier. He WILL be the leader for a tough Scott County team that will be top 3, if not 1, in the state coming up this year.

BGElite---I am with you and couldn't agree more. Richie is one heck of a player and talent who is fun to watch play.

Just got home from a long 3 days in Morgantown. Here is my rundown from the finals action today.

DS showed a lot of grit in the first team against a talented team from Washington that beat DC Assault in the first game of tournament play.

DS was down as much as 8 before coming back behind Jonathan Ferguson and the stretch play of Andy Donovan, who in a tight game with about 3 mintues to go, hit a layup, a putback and a three inside of one minute to help the DS team pull away 103-89. Andy is one whose stock is going way up as he continues to show the ability to play inside and out and now has two d-1 offers on the table.

In the finals, a worn out DS team , playing their 7th game in 3 days, found themselves behind 18 points in the second half, with Evan Faulkner unable to play and Macon and Donovan banged up, the DS team was on the ropes When Ethan Faulkner decided he was tired of trailing, his defense dominated the last 15 minutes of the game. Barrett Meyer, after nursing a sore ankle all week, came off the bench to score about 15 points in a 6 minute stretch to get the DS team back in the game. Jon Bevins got dominating inside and Richie Phares and Leonard Macon made some huge plays to to somehow find a way to win 85-80. This team is now 32-10 against some of the toughest competition in the country and has learned that they can compete with anyone. They have been down many times only to get a spark from someone different every game. This is a special bunch of kids that are representing their schools and communities well. They leave for Vegas and Los Angeles on Monday. Member of the team are

Matt Clevenger Pikeville

Jon Bevins Logan

Richie Phares Scott County

Leonard Macon Taylor County

Jon Ferguson Elliot

Ethan and Evan Faulkner Elliot

Barrett Meyers Franklin County

Andy Donovan Franklin County

They are a coaches "dream":thumb:

(most of the time):D

I wouldn't describe a kid who is going to have several d-1 offers on the table by November as a kid whose "stock is dropping". Richie is one of the premier talents in his class who is also a great team player who is willing to share

the spotlight with whoever can help his team win. Richie's play ranges from solid to spectacular, and if he increases his time spent in the spectacular range, the sky is the limit for this kid who can play inside and out, put the ball on the floor, shoot the three, bang inside, and is still growing.

He is a "blue chipper":thumb:

I wouldn't describe a kid who is going to have several d-1 offers on the table by November as a kid whose "stock is dropping". Richie is one of the premier talents in his class who is also a great team player who is willing to share

the spotlight with whoever can help his team win. Richie's play ranges from solid to spectacular, and if he increases his time spent in the spectacular range, the sky is the limit for this kid who can play inside and out, put the ball on the floor, shoot the three, bang inside, and is still growing.

He is a "blue chipper":thumb:

Coach, if you read up on the post I made that was the point I was trying to make to the other poster and I know exactly where you are coming from. He really is coming on strong. You do a good job with your players. Great tournament and good luck on the West coast.

Just got home from a long 3 days in Morgantown. Here is my rundown from the finals action today.

DS showed a lot of grit in the first team against a talented team from Washington that beat DC Assault in the first game of tournament play.

DS was down as much as 8 before coming back behind Jonathan Ferguson and the stretch play of Andy Donovan, who in a tight game with about 3 mintues to go, hit a layup, a putback and a three inside of one minute to help the DS team pull away 103-89. Andy is one whose stock is going way up as he continues to show the ability to play inside and out and now has two d-1 offers on the table.

In the finals, a worn out DS team , playing their 7th game in 3 days, found themselves behind 18 points in the second half, with Evan Faulkner unable to play and Macon and Donovan banged up, the DS team was on the ropes When Ethan Faulkner decided he was tired of trailing, his defense dominated the last 15 minutes of the game. Barrett Meyer, after nursing a sore ankle all week, came off the bench to score about 15 points in a 6 minute stretch to get the DS team back in the game. Jon Bevins got dominating inside and Richie Phares and Leonard Macon made some huge plays to to somehow find a way to win 85-80. This team is now 32-10 against some of the toughest competition in the country and has learned that they can compete with anyone. They have been down many times only to get a spark from someone different every game. This is a special bunch of kids that are representing their schools and communities well. They leave for Vegas and Los Angeles on Monday. Member of the team are

Matt Clevenger Pikeville

Jon Bevins Logan

Richie Phares Scott County

Leonard Macon Taylor County

Jon Ferguson Elliot

Ethan and Evan Faulkner Elliot

Barrett Meyers Franklin County

Andy Donovan Franklin County

They are a coaches "dream":thumb:

(most of the time):D

I hope someone gave the guy a Heat Check, tough to come off the bench with a high ankle sprain, and having seen limited action during the tournament and contribute like that. Must have contributed defensively as well.

Ferguson played really well this weekend at both ends of the floor. His last 3 tourney's have really been off the charts. IMO his stock is rising. He got another offer in Morgantown. He is shooting the ball better right now then he has all summer. He is around 43% from the 3 point line the last 3 tourneys shooting around 65 for 150. His defense along passing and Ball Handling is at another level right now. I look for him to have a Outstanding Senior season.