Kentucky teams traveling in July

One reason all the top players don't play together is because some teams pay to participate and some teams pay for everything.

The second reason this doesn't happen is becouse if you get too many kids that think they are superstars then they all want to be on the floor. Problem is, only 5 can play at a time.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One reason all the top players don't play together is because some teams pay to participate and some teams pay for everything.

The second reason this doesn't happen is becouse if you get too many kids that think they are superstars then they all want to be on the floor. Problem is, only 5 can play at a time.

With one ball.:laugh:

I don't think that any of the elite programs in Kentucky pay for everything, do they?

This would combine more of KY's top talent while alleviating some of the current travel/expense issues for kids. Louisville, central KY and Lexington, and NKY are all close enough to field a couple of "super teams." There's even enough talent in NKY to field a top national team now if all of the top players would come together.

There is no disagreement that combined, Kentucky could field nationally competitive teams. Many of the teams are competitive as it stands. Winning a big title would be nice, but that is not the purpose of the AAU organizations. The purpose is to get exposure to players to give them the opportunity for college scholarships. Eg. Derek Smith U17 beat Grassroots Canada (their only loss) in the Adidas Super 64 in Las Vegas recently in front of head coaches from Florida, UCLA, on and on. Grassroots was subsequently featured in USA today. Whether DS won the tournament was really irrelevant....the exposure was extremely valuable. Also, it is not given that a) there is any current valid system to select the "best" players; and b) that the "best" players could actually jell and become a competitive team.

Agree, but players get more exposure on teams that go deeper into tournaments and play against more of the elite teams in the tournament.

True. It also doesn't hurt to have a deep bench so when the 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 players go in, the team doesn't lose much if anything. Everybody wants to start and play. Its hard to convince certain kids to play roles, which are often just as important as starters. Noboby wants to play only two minutes a game, that's why I like about 8 players on a team. Also, gunners who don't play team ball definitely hurt a team. They may average 20-30 a game, but shoot for an abysmal percentage and not want to play defense. You may as well call many of the missed shots turnovers if your team can't rebound all of them.

I think Kentucky has plenty enough "homegrown" talent to field 2 or 3 elite teams in each age group. The players could still be mixed up to make each team very competitive. The main thing lacking in KY is an abundance of size on the AAU teams IMHO.

It's too bad more of the teams and players can't get more sponsorship in KY.

I don't think that any of the elite programs in Kentucky pay for everything, do they?

I think the KY Patriots had pretty good sponsorship from Adidas through the Ohio Basketball Club. I don't know about Derek Smith, Team Loyalty, Charlotte Court, Higher Level and other organizations.

Agree, but players get more exposure on teams that go deeper into tournaments and play against more of the elite teams in the tournament.

I agree...definitely it requires a balance. As well as going deeper into a tournament, the club wants to be good enough to get invitations to the "elite" tournaments as well as getting seeded in the "super pools" in most.