Kentucky teams traveling in July

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now let me see, who was on the DS 17u, I don't think their names have been mentioned. :laugh:

I think their names have been repeated over and over again (and for good reason) but the important point of all this travel and playing, is that this team will generate in excess of a half million dollars in scholarship money

and that is no small accomplishment! The parents invested several thousand dollars to make it happen, but that is a great return:thumb:

And the kids made some lifetime friends

They will all be "locked and loaded" when the season starts having seen way more talent than the state of Kentucky alone can throw at them

Is there no one out there that has any idea what the KY Players did in July?

I love watching Rico and Pittman play but have heard nothing about what they have been doing.

Any info?

I'm pretty sure I saw them in addidas take 5, but nothing after that?

Not sure, but I know they weren't in any other tournaments we were in

I agree , the Holmes boys are players

Rico and Pittman have been sought after for a couple of years now. I know that Shining Star Sports went after them but they did not want to leave the KY Players.

If this class in Northern Kentucky could come together they would be the top team in Kentucky.

Rico and Pittman have been sought after for a couple of years now. I know that Shining Star Sports went after them but they did not want to leave the KY Players.

If this class in Northern Kentucky could come together they would be the top team in Kentucky.

They could be a top national team.

If the Ky Players can't surround them with enough talent to play in these National Level/Showcase tournaments then they need to be with a Shining Stars or DS.

The Shining Star Sports team won the state championship with their current roster. Adding Rico Johnson, JJ Johnson and Elijiah Pittman would allow them to compete at a much higher level.

This team would be very fun to watch and they would win a lot of games.

With a nucleus of Northern Kentucky players it would also allow them to be in the gym on the regular basis working together to prepare for the very challenging schedule that they would play.

I was told last night that Rico Johnson, JJ Johnson and Elijiah Pittman are now playing with the Queen City Prophets. Anyone know if this is correct?

Isn't the AAU season over anyway?

If they are, I wonder if they played in Orlando?

Regardless, why not play with other players from Kentucky? There are plenty of good athletes to be successful and get national exposure through playing on KY teams. The Shining Stars are based in the same NKY area as those 3 boys and were extremely competive against top national teams this year even after losing several players and big men during the season.

Overall, Kentucky teams could compete even better against the top national teams if they united into say no more than one AAU organization per East, West, North, and South KY. This would combine more of KY's top talent while alleviating some of the current travel/expense issues for kids. Louisville, central KY and Lexington, and NKY are all close enough to field a couple of "super teams." There's even enough talent in NKY to field a top national team now if all of the top players would come together.

This would combine more of KY's top talent while alleviating some of the current travel/expense issues for kids. Louisville, central KY and Lexington, and NKY are all close enough to field a couple of "super teams." There's even enough talent in NKY to field a top national team now if all of the top players would come together.

There is no disagreement that combined, Kentucky could field nationally competitive teams. Many of the teams are competitive as it stands. Winning a big title would be nice, but that is not the purpose of the AAU organizations. The purpose is to get exposure to players to give them the opportunity for college scholarships. Eg. Derek Smith U17 beat Grassroots Canada (their only loss) in the Adidas Super 64 in Las Vegas recently in front of head coaches from Florida, UCLA, on and on. Grassroots was subsequently featured in USA today. Whether DS won the tournament was really irrelevant....the exposure was extremely valuable. Also, it is not given that a) there is any current valid system to select the "best" players; and b) that the "best" players could actually jell and become a competitive team.