Rewards in Heaven.

What do you do with Jesus' parable about the workers in the Vineyard? Each received the same pay despite some who toiled all day and some only a few hours. Remember the master's response? "You got what I promised to give you. If I choose to give the same to these others, what business is that of yours?"

Simple. The wage earned is salvation. No matter whether you have been a Christian for 70 years or 7 seconds, all receive salvation.

And yet, Scripture mentions many times about rewards in Heaven and differing rewards.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple. The wage earned is salvation. No matter whether you have been a Christian for 70 years or 7 seconds, all receive salvation.

And yet, Scripture mentions many times about rewards in Heaven and differing rewards.

Why do you think it is salvation?

In the preceeding passage Jesus clearly states that the KINGDOM of God is going to be different than the world's. The first will be last and the last will be first.

If he has been talking about the kingdom immediately prior, wouldn't it stand to reason that Jesus' parable is referring to the same thing here. And if he is, why should that matter to any of us? Will we feel cheated or cry injustice? I hardly think so. You see, I really am not concerned about rewards, only relationship. In the face of God, I don't think we will care one iota about "who got more or less." It seems to me that was something the disciples did when they asked Jesus for special places in the kingdom.

Why do you think it is salvation?

In the preceeding passage Jesus clearly states that the KINGDOM of God is going to be different than the world's. The first will be last and the last will be first.

If he has been talking about the kingdom immediately prior, wouldn't it stand to reason that Jesus' parable is referring to the same thing here. And if he is, why should that matter to any of us? Will we feel cheated or cry injustice? I hardly think so. You see, I really am not concerned about rewards, only relationship. In the face of God, I don't think we will care one iota about "who got more or less." It seems to me that was something the disciples did when they asked Jesus for special places in the kingdom.

Why does acknowledging that Scripture indicates there are varying degrees of rewards lead to a negative assumption that it is a big deal?

It does not bother me one bit if Billy Graham gets more than me. I don't care cause I will be in heaven.

But, Scripture still indicates that there will be rewards in Heaven.

Why does acknowledging that Scripture indicates there are varying degrees of rewards lead to a negative assumption that it is a big deal?

It does not bother me one bit if Billy Graham gets more than me. I don't care cause I will be in heaven.

But, Scripture still indicates that there will be rewards in Heaven.

I don't know LBBC, why does one seem to get defensive if others do not agree with that perception of heaven? (Note: the previous sentence was the first time I went negative.)

My post did not have a single negative statement. It presented a parable of Jesus that you interpreted to refer to salvation. My retort was based on scripture and disagreed.

Like you I personally think this whole thread is a ridiculous discussion because the notion of "rewards" is the last thing on my mind. I just find it interesting that when told that you "might" be reading something into the parable that scripture doesn't reveal, you immediately called that post negative.

If I disagree with a thread or think its "ridiculus" I avoid it and certainly will not comment in it. But rewards are mentioned by Jesus. And thats all I'm gonna have to say about that.

Colossians 3:23:24 "whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord not men, since you know that you will recieve an inheritance from the Lord as a REWARD. Verse 25 goes on to state It is the Lord Christ you are serving, anyone who does wrong will be REPAID for his wrong, and there is no favoritism".

Matthew 16:27 Jesus speaking...."For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's Glory with his angels, and then he will REWARD EACH person according what he has done".

2nd Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ,that EACH ONE may RECIEVE what is due him, for the things DONE while in the body, whether good or bad".

People we cannot Pick and Choose scripture.

If I disagree with a thread or think its "ridiculus" I avoid it and certainly will not comment in it. But rewards are mentioned by Jesus. And thats all I'm gonna have to say about that.

Colossians 3:23:24 "whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord not men, since you know that you will recieve an inheritance from the Lord as a REWARD. Verse 25 goes on to state It is the Lord Christ you are serving, anyone who does wrong will be REPAID for his wrong, and there is no favoritism".

Matthew 16:27 Jesus speaking...."For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father's Glory with his angels, and then he will REWARD EACH person according what he has done".

2nd Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgement seat of Christ,that EACH ONE may RECIEVE what is due him, for the things DONE while in the body, whether good or bad".

People we cannot Pick and Choose scripture.

AL, I submit that nothing in the above passages indicates a greater reward for one or another.

I don't know LBBC, why does one seem to get defensive if others do not agree with that perception of heaven? (Note: the previous sentence was the first time I went negative.)

My post did not have a single negative statement. It presented a parable of Jesus that you interpreted to refer to salvation. My retort was based on scripture and disagreed.

Like you I personally think this whole thread is a ridiculous discussion because the notion of "rewards" is the last thing on my mind. I just find it interesting that when told that you "might" be reading something into the parable that scripture doesn't reveal, you immediately called that post negative.

I admittingly took your post the wrong way then.

When you said And if he is, why should that matter to any of us? Will we feel cheated or cry injustice?

Another day and I am not tired and I read your post differently. Sorry.:thumb:

No....the reward for what one has done...heaven or hell.

If that is true, than you would be saying that we EARN our way into heaven and not by grace.

I do not think I can do enough to earn my way into the presence of Christ and God. I have to accept that Christ is the only way for me to earn my way into heaven.

Also, let's look at Jesus comment about in His Father's house their is many mansions/rooms. Does a mansion have all identical rooms?

If that is true, than you would be saying that we EARN our way into heaven and not by grace.

I do not think I can do enough to earn my way into the presence of Christ and God. I have to accept that Christ is the only way for me to earn my way into heaven.

Also, let's look at Jesus comment about in His Father's house their is many mansions/rooms. Does a mansion have all identical rooms?

No, but even the bathrooms/basements would be fit for a king.

You earn rewards. Who is rewarded without earning it? You earn your way to heaven. Even if you've accepted Christ, if you continue to live a life of questionable morals, believing in Christ, you still won't get to heaven.

As to the mansion and it's rooms, there's room for all, not that one is better than the other.