Questions about the Double Wing

Power

Counter

Trap

Wedge

Sweep

Is commonly refered to as "the core". Some teams run that portions a little different such as Counter cutback, counter criss cross, or straight counter but the core stays the same. DW is a complete state of doing things. Coaches joke about Wing T guys being a little on the "cultist" side but DW guys go way beyound even cult status.

The Sniffer position hides the FB who honeslty is more like a guard in the backfield. Then you add the quick motion and shifting and it gets a little crazy. I think it fits small and rural schools but there is honeslty no reason it can not work all the way up to the 6A level.

The true double wing has the best power play in football IMO with the super sweep. It seems like I saw Lex Christian run this play in the past. It's the foot to foot splits with one wing coming in short motion to take a quick pitch off tackle. The super back + QB then lead block for him. It's a heck of a power play. I think it would be a good offense for a small school. Personally I couldn't handle running it I don't think. Kind of like watching paint dry for me. The play action off of it is great though and if it's clicking there is no feeling like just pounding the ball down somebody's throat!

Power

Counter

Trap

Wedge

Sweep

Is commonly refered to as "the core". Some teams run that portions a little different such as Counter cutback, counter criss cross, or straight counter but the core stays the same. DW is a complete state of doing things. Coaches joke about Wing T guys being a little on the "cultist" side but DW guys go way beyound even cult status.

The Sniffer position hides the FB who honeslty is more like a guard in the backfield. Then you add the quick motion and shifting and it gets a little crazy. I think it fits small and rural schools but there is honeslty no reason it can not work all the way up to the 6A level.

I wouldn't call it cultist...maybe a collection of like minded folks, that are convinced they are right, share a common connection, and...wait, yeah, cult probably works :ylsuper:

Hello, my name is Coach Hard...and I'm a Double Winger, and memeber of Double Wingers Annonymous.:fight:

On a side note I think Shooters (R&S guys), Air Raid, and empty guys also fall into the "cultist" groups too. I looked at runnign the DW and the passion that wingers have for the offense is addicting.

Superpower (Wing, BSG, BST, QB and FB) leading through a hole is something to watch. the misdirection, PA pass and the wrap around draw are all fun to watch too. Like what has been said in the SW thread the reason we do not see this stuff is because of fans/community. That is sad when you think about it. Like what has been said in other threads though people think they know football. They watch it and heck they might have even played it but a much smaller percentage know the history and development.

Barrell brings up a great point. True double wing is a system, and not just a formation. Yes, guys like Murphy and others have implimented variations with their backs and TEs, but the "core" is essentially the same.

I think a lot of the success that it has right now is coming from this being kinda "weird." Think about it...defenses prepare week in and week out for spread, I, option, wing-t, veer...but for the most part the DW is completely foreign to them. That's why I love it. It is old school, but new all in the same package. Has tons of defensive misconceptions, that a good DW team will take advantage of. All those bodies flying around in a confined space is backwards from what most folks are leaning toward with the growing popularity of the Spread, which as it has been stated has a lot of its roots in single wing. I guess it is a lot like when folks in college have to prepare to play Navy or Air Force. You here ol' Lou Holtz talk about it all the time, on how while he was at ND, they had to spend so much focusing on each individuals assignment because it was so unique. So much time has to focused on stopping something that you just don't see a lot of. Which gives teams like Navy and Air Force an advantage, even though they have lesser caliber athletes. Now I realize they don't run the DW, but it is just a comparison for the high school situation. It allows lesser athletes to have greater success.

Paul Johnson has had good success running the triple option out of the flex bone formation with lesser talent that nobody else recruits. I want to see much more success he has at Georgia Tech. :ylsuper:

Once again while scouting a couple players in Indiana in '04 I watched Coach Reed May take the Brownstown Central Braves to a Semi State Championship game with the Double Wing and I mean Double Wing it was the most exciting season I followed in a long time. This team was lead by 2 brothers Steele and Blaze Hurley (Coach Rock Hurley) They were raised running this O from youth league on and the whole Community loves Braves Football this way. They still run it today, go "Old School" I love it.:thumb:

If you want to see the Double Wing and I do mean Double Wing watch Coach Reed May Films. Oh and the Braves are a tiny little School Indiana 2A.

Guest Bluto

Coach Rains came to LCA in 2003, and brought the Wing T. He took the same kids from a 1-9 season to an 8-3 season (and that was without a weight program).

Coach Rains came to LCA in 2003, and brought the Wing T. He took the same kids from a 1-9 season to an 8-3 season (and that was without a weight program).

He got a lot of his info from Mike Elkin when he was at Madison Southern. Elkin had a lot of success with the wing-T his last year at Madison Southern he has two 1000 backs, and ran a lot of counter, veer, and waggle.

One of the state champions this year from IN ran the DW. I want to say it was one of the larger classes also.

Did Rains start out coaching the middle school group and then moved up as they moved up? I know coaches do this when starting a program often by coaching the kids starting with MS and move along with them. Makes a big difference.

Chris Wolfe (formerly of Hancock Co, Waggener, and PRP) ran the double wing...of the Flex bone variety. That was his system but what he ran out of it depended mostly on his talent. At Hancock it was mostly option n stuff because of Atwell. One year at Waggener (semi year) he ran almost exclusively the zone because of that big FB he had that year. Then when he had A. Smith he ran a lot of sweeps etc.

That is a double slot formation. Here is double wing football

http://coachcalande.proboards56.com/index.cgi?board=offense&action=display&thread=84

Double Wing is not just a formation but a system. What you are describing is the flexbone/double slot formation.

I'm well aware of a double slot and double wing...Wolfe's double wing is the Ace formation out of the WingT.

Scheme wise the description just does not sound like a doube wing. Zone is not part of a DW system an extremely few run outside veer. Most do not like anytype of option past speed from it due to the splits. The base of the offense is the power off tackle play.

Wyatt did run the DW out of what looks like flexbone/double slot/ace but the core of the system was the same. Power, Counter, Trap, Sweep, and Wedge. Where you get variety is in the sweep portion and to a lesser degree the counter action.