General Golfing Tips

Panther091

So I got invited to go golfing with my father-in-law Mermorial Day morning. Of course I accepted but lets be honest. I'm not exactly a great golfer nor do I have much experience! Any general tips would be greatly appreciated so that I don't look like a complete fool!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're playing in a foursome, play a best ball scramble. Sometimes it will be your shot that gets used and there is no "every shot" pressure.

That would be great if that were the case...there are at least 5 of us playing so I'm not sure how we're going to play it.

Watch the back of the ball; in particular, around 4:00 (imagining it as a clock face). If you watch the top of the ball, you will most likely hit the top of the ball. You want to hit the back of the ball.

Smooth tempo. Don't try to kill the ball, don't try to lift the ball. Let the club do the work.

Follow through. If you're right-handed, finish with your weight on the outside of your left foot. A great drill to practice this is to address the ball with a golf ball under the big toe of each foot, then swing smooth and easy. It will give you the correct weight shift feel throughout the swing.

Most of all, have fun!!!

So I got invited to go golfing with my father-in-law Mermorial Day morning. Of course I accepted but lets be honest. I'm not exactly a great golfer nor do I have much experience! Any general tips would be greatly appreciated so that I don't look like a complete fool!

Once you get through the first few holes, you'll be fine. I've been in your shoes. The first one off the tee is always the hardest. After that, relax and have fun. If he's a solid golfer and you're not, don't try to play against him. Just play as though you were out there by yourself.

Here's a few more, all the ones above are great. Remember to not go past someones ball in the farway if your are having to drive the cart. That means you will not be in their vision when they are hitting their shots. Always bring a ball marker and divot fixer with you. Even if you don't have any divots to fix you'll find one to fix. Never walk in someones line on the green, meaning don't step where they will be putting their ball. Farthest away always putts first. No hitting from out of bounds, if you hit your ball deep into a wooded area just drop and go on. If you hit into another farway thats not yours remember they have honors to go or let you go. You'll look like you've played for years.

Once you get through the first few holes, you'll be fine. I've been in your shoes. The first one off the tee is always the hardest. After that, relax and have fun. If he's a solid golfer and you're not, don't try to play against him. Just play as though you were out there by yourself.

GREAT GREAT ADVICE!!

so I hit the driving range for the first time in several years. I had a terrible slice? (to the right) and I just couldnt get it straightened out for the life of me! Any help? My friend and I are going tomorrow and I'm sure he'll have some solid tip on how to correct that but I'm still open to other suggestoins.

Watch the back of the ball; in particular, around 4:00 (imagining it as a clock face). If you watch the top of the ball, you will most likely hit the top of the ball. You want to hit the back of the ball.

Smooth tempo. Don't try to kill the ball, don't try to lift the ball. Let the club do the work.

Follow through. If you're right-handed, finish with your weight on the outside of your left foot. A great drill to practice this is to address the ball with a golf ball under the big toe of each foot, then swing smooth and easy. It will give you the correct weight shift feel throughout the swing.

Most of all, have fun!!!

I totally agree...JUST SWING S-L-O-W.....You will be nervous at first and will have the tendency to swing faster than you realize. Really slow back with a good tempo followthrough! Breathe...and enjoy the nice day!

so I hit the driving range for the first time in several years. I had a terrible slice? (to the right) and I just couldnt get it straightened out for the life of me! Any help? My friend and I are going tomorrow and I'm sure he'll have some solid tip on how to correct that but I'm still open to other suggestoins.

First, try to choke up on the club. You probably aren't getting the club around or the shaft is too stiff for your swing dynamics. You can also start with the clubface closed at address or try to roll your right arm over your left at followthrough.

Two easy tips, first thing to do is address the ball closer to your mid-line. You are standing to far behind the ball its to far up in your stance. I hope that makes sense. Second thing is your swing is outside at top and your coming inside at contact so to stop that move back away from the ball just a little. That way you will feel like your reaching out to hit the ball not just coming down and hitting it. Both of those things will help you have less slice. One thing I like to do and this seems to help is line the logo on the ball up onto a target or even put a line on the ball if you want, then line yourself up with that line and after you hit see how far off target you are. So when your on the course then aim that far off your target. If your htting it a little right then aim out to the left.