Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Simon Kenton 65 Walton 50 (32 district finals)

Featured Replies

Maegley, Ponzer, and Dressman are seniors. Barnes is a junior.

 

Congrats SK!

 

Once these seniors are gone, what does the future hold for SK next season?

  • Replies 39
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What year are the kids from Simon? Dressman, Maegley, Ponzer, Barnes? etc.

 

Barnes is a junior. Sorrell, who has been playing well as of late, is a soph. The only other underclassmen who has been getting any playing time is Schneider. They had one other junior in the line-up who has missed most of the season due to injury. It has been said in other posts but I don't think I have ever heard of 9 seniors on one basketball team before.

Thanks.

Congrats SK!

 

Once these seniors are gone, what does the future hold for SK next season?

 

The way Sorrell has been playing adds a little light. They will be mediocre next year though. They will probably contend and even win the district but still a very mediocre team.

The band drowned out the scoring leaders when the PA announcer gave the stats but I think Maegley had 18, Barnes 16 and Dressman (Tourney MVP) had 13. If there was a rebound to be had tonight- he went and got it. Very impressive game for him.

IMO, Dressman was certainly the difference in the ball game. WV had no answers on how to keep him off the offensive glass.

Considering that Walton and Simon both loose a lot of players, i would think Grant would be the early favorites for next year only losing 1 player that plays a lot

Congratulations to SK. Good all around team effort. They won however they did not dominate this game. IMO WV's play especially during the first half was more impressive than SK's entire game. SK's Maegley and Barnes stepped up in the second half against WV's disappointing 3rd quarter of only 4 points. MVP Dressman played well, but the effort from WV's Jones who IMO dominated the game from both sides was probably more deserving of the MVP had WV won. Mostly contributing to WV's loss were the lackluster effort from Kirk and the unsportsmanship conduct displayed by P Ponzer toward his teammates and his coach during the end of the game. I witnessed firsthand from direct by his bench both his comments and his actions. Its unfortunate for the program when parents/coaches allow and at times even reward this kind of behavior. IMO Sullivan or Hopperton were more deserving of the all-tournament award than Ponzer.

Some people react differently to defeat than what others do but his reaction had to do more than the defeat if you watched & heard what was said from the coach. That type of behavior from a coach should never be tolerated and I was totally shocked that it took place. You have to give Ponzer credit for being talented and able to lead his team to a tie for 1st place in the district and a berth in the regional tournament next week. Something your Walton team was not able to do.

 

You are right in that people react differently, just as people see things differently. Not sure where you were sitting, but I was next to the bench. I witnessed what happened, heard his comments and understand exactly why Ponzer was pulled out (besides the fact he was forcing the unnecessary/impossible shot). From the games I've personally attended and for the videos I have watched of the ones I couldn't attend, this isn't the first time his attitude has reflected poorly on undeserving teammates. WV has won games before without much play time from Ponzer. He is talented but by no means is he a leader of that team and unfortunately at times he allows his talent to be overshadowed by his unselfish play. He's had a few top scoring games, but more times than not his top scoring games have been losses. Scoring is just one of the fundamentals of the game.

From an outsider who strictly watches the game and has no ties to the last names, I'm surprised at the apparent lack of support for Jones who IMO is WV's best all-around player (as evident in last night's game as well as years prior). A last name is just that and that only.

Considering that Walton and Simon both loose a lot of players, i would think Grant would be the early favorites for next year only losing 1 player that plays a lot

 

I agree. Especially with Thompson returning next year.

The way Sorrell has been playing adds a little light. They will be mediocre next year though. They will probably contend and even win the district but still a very mediocre team.

 

Even with Sorrell's wickedly arched 3 point shot, I think WV will give them a run for their money next year - especially with J Ponzer, Sullivan and defensive efforts from White.

You are right in that people react differently, just as people see things differently. Not sure where you were sitting, but I was next to the bench. I witnessed what happened, heard his comments and understand exactly why Ponzer was pulled out (besides the fact he was forcing the unnecessary/impossible shot). From the games I've personally attended and for the videos I have watched of the ones I couldn't attend, this isn't the first time his attitude has reflected poorly on undeserving teammates. WV has won games before without much play time from Ponzer. He is talented but by no means is he a leader of that team and unfortunately at times he allows his talent to be overshadowed by his unselfish play. He's had a few top scoring games, but more times than not his top scoring games have been losses. Scoring is just one of the fundamentals of the game.

From an outsider who strictly watches the game and has no ties to the last names, I'm surprised at the apparent lack of support for Jones who IMO is WV's best all-around player (as evident in last night's game as well as years prior). A last name is just that and that only.

 

Fortunately, Walton fans will only have to watch these antics one more game.

IMO, Dressman was certainly the difference in the ball game. WV had no answers on how to keep him off the offensive glass.

 

I agree. That's what I thought made Simon so difficult for Walton to beat. You could focus your attention on Maegley, but there was always someone else that was also talented to slide in there and hurt you. Same way in the backcourt.

 

That being said, both teams deserve congrats on making it to the region. There's some tough (but not unbeatable) teams that they'd have to go through...but maybe we could have a 4th meeting in the finals at Henry County?

I agree. That's what I thought made Simon so difficult for Walton to beat. You could focus your attention on Maegley, but there was always someone else that was also talented to slide in there and hurt you. Same way in the backcourt.

 

That being said, both teams deserve congrats on making it to the region. There's some tough (but not unbeatable) teams that they'd have to go through...but maybe we could have a 4th meeting in the finals at Henry County?

 

Wishful thinking but that won't happen.

IMO, Dressman was certainly the difference in the ball game. WV had no answers on how to keep him off the offensive glass.

 

 

He reminds me of Josh Elbert a bit from last year.

I was also behind Walton's bench, and I can tell you Walton's coach is the one who was way wrong. What happened should not be tolerated at any school. I don't know what WyldWink has against the kid, but he certainly was a catalyst for Walton's success this year. Oh yeah, and I don't have a thing for last names either, whatever that means. I think the right people got the all tournament team.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.