Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coaching Salaries

Featured Replies

In reading some of the threads concerning coaching searches and changes, there seems to be a great deal of confusion concerning compensation. It has been a few years since I've had much involvement in the process but I don't think it is near what many think, especially for assistant coaches.

 

For clarification, let's leave teaching, administrative, janitorial, or other school related jobs out of the equation. I believe that the vast majority of head coaching jobs in high school sports (boys and girls) is between five and ten thousand dollars. Assistants range from volunteer to about twenty five hundred per year.

 

Am I close? Are some of you who think assistants can pick up and leave at will to join a head coach at a new school surprised? Without the teaching job, I don't think many coach for the check.

  • Replies 69
  • Views 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reading some of the threads concerning coaching searches and changes, there seems to be a great deal of confusion concerning compensation. It has been a few years since I've had much involvement in the process but I don't think it is near what many think, especially for assistant coaches.

 

For clarification, let's leave teaching, administrative, janitorial, or other school related jobs out of the equation. I believe that the vast majority of head coaching jobs in high school sports (boys and girls) is between five and ten thousand dollars. Assistants range from volunteer to about twenty five hundred per year.

 

Am I close? Are some of you who think assistants can pick up and leave at will to join a head coach at a new school surprised? Without the teaching job, I don't think many coach for the check.

 

A lot of Disticts do it different. Some on experience and some a %. Also, some just have a flat rate across the board. In Southeast Kentucky it can range from 1800 to close to 6000 for an assistant coach. I even Know of cases where the head Coach has a certain amount of football money that he can divide among his coaches. One with 1 year might start out at 1800 while another on the staff with extra duties might make 6500. It is different at different schools. While I agree it wouldn't be close to enough to leave without a teaching job coaches pay has increased slightly over the years.

A In Southeast Kentucky it can range from 1800 to close to 6000 for an assistant coach. .

 

Not at Bell it is 1500 with no rasises for experience. Those guys must love football.

At Ashland its 12% of your base salaries for assistants of major sports. So if you make $50000 for teaching, you get $6000 for coaching duties.

Not at Bell it is 1500 with no rasises for experience. Those guys must love football.

 

My words were from years and years of talk nothing official but I have always heard Bell Co. was the lowest around ( which is surprising) and Middlesboro and Corbin have always been on the high end. Most other schools must fall somewhere between. Somebody needs to give those guys a little raise down that way. I would be willing to bet those guys work harder than most or as hard I should say.

A couple years ago a full time fayette county assistant made $4500

  • Author

At one local high school a few years ago I was surprised to learn that the head baseball coach was paid the same as an assistant football coach. ($2500). Considering the responsibilities and the fact that it's 30 games versus 10, that seemed way out of line. Head football and basketball (boys and girls) coach at that time recieved $5000.00.

  • Author

BTW, my point with this thread is to point out these guys are putting in a lot of work for far less money than many would imagine.

Assistant coaches usually make between $1500 and $7000-$8000. Head Coaches usually between $6000 and $20,000, depending on the School District and who you are.

Assistant coaches usually make between $1500 and $7000-$8000. Head Coaches usually between $6000 and $20,000, depending on the School District and who you are.

 

Agreed. I would say that the VAST majority of the salaries are at closer to the bottom end of your scale, with the averages being around $2500-3000 for assistants and about $8,000 for head coaches.

 

A general rule is the bigger the school(in terms of size) the bigger the pay.

Agreed. I would say that the VAST majority of the salaries are at closer to the bottom end of your scale, with the averages being around $2500-3000 for assistants and about $8,000 for head coaches.

 

A general rule is the bigger the school(in terms of size) the bigger the pay.

 

Agreed also.

Who is the highest paid Head Coach? How Much? I know it can't be Jefferson County! There head coach starts out less than experienced assistants in the same system.

I heard Meade head coach makes 10 to 12 thousand. Many coaches get paid extra out of the booster club, out in the counties.:cool:

I heard Meade head coach makes 10 to 12 thousand. Many coaches get paid extra out of the booster club, out in the counties.:cool:

 

You must be mistaken. Isn't that illegal by khsaa standards?

Assistant coaches usually make between $1500 and $7000-$8000. Head Coaches usually between $6000 and $20,000, depending on the School District and who you are.

 

NOT at Estill :sssh:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.