Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Congrats to 16th Region Officials

Featured Replies

I understand that coach's ratings are 80%, don't get me wrong, I think Billman does an ok job and is a good guy. I believe , however, in all sports that their is a group of officials who tend to form a little circle of insiders, and those within that group move up the ladder very quickly. I have witnessed quality officials get left out of the post-season becuase they didn't look the part, or weren't in the right circle. I didn't mean to single Joe out, again I like him, I just get really disgusted with the way things tend to work when it comes to assigning secretaries and their buddies.

 

Once again who gets the state tournament is based on ratings not assigning secretaries.

All 16 coaches have the right to rate the officials.

I think the state can choose some at-large officials but that is up to the state office.

  • Replies 68
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe thats the circle he's talking about.......???

 

Must be a large circle. There are 32 coaches in the 16th.

You have to be a good ref to get to the tournament. Don't be mislead about that. But, it is like every other profession. It doesn't hurt to be liked by your peers and you must be respected, not liked, by your superiors. If these two things aren't there....you will never make it out of a region.

I understand that coach's ratings are 80%, don't get me wrong, I think Billman does an ok job and is a good guy. I believe , however, in all sports that their is a group of officials who tend to form a little circle of insiders, and those within that group move up the ladder very quickly. I have witnessed quality officials get left out of the post-season becuase they didn't look the part, or weren't in the right circle. I didn't mean to single Joe out, again I like him, I just get really disgusted with the way things tend to work when it comes to assigning secretaries and their buddies.

 

THAT is the Circle and everyone knows it.

Marla is by far the best ref in the 16th. I wish she would have gotten into coaching.

 

I'm VERY LUCKY... My 7 year daughter goes to the YMCA and Marla works with her evertime she can. I told her not to listen to me and do exactly was Marla tells her to do. I don't want to screw anything up.

As for the best in the region, IMO, is Davin Barnett. Without a doubt.

I bet this thread wasn't started by Fleming Co or St Patrick.:dancingpa:lol:

Hate to say it, but it will be rare for a 15th or 16th region official to get more than 2 games.

 

I would say Ancie Casey and Jerry Hurley are the only two I know of in the last 15 years.

 

Any others?

 

This just simply is not true. Bobby Hall worked the boys final 2 or 3 years ago. And the year befor he worked the semifinal. He also worked the finals in this years class A championship.

I was at the tournament last year and Mr. Billman worked 2 games. And he worked as an alternate at the table in the semifinals. That is not uncommon for a first year official at the state tournament to just work two games. Joe will represent the 16th region well this year.

 

Hate to say it, but it will be rare for a 15th or 16th region official to get more than 2 games.

 

I would say Ancie Casey and Jerry Hurley are the only two I know of in the last 15 years.

 

Any others?

 

If I'm not mistaken the 16th region has sent 2 officials to the girls state tournament the last 3 years. Marla had the championship game last year and Billman had the semi-final and was slated for the final had Rose Hill not made it to the finals the previous year so he was not a first year official to a state tournament last year.

 

Not sure what happened 3 years ago at the girls state tourney but for the last 2 the 16th has been well represented with more than 2 games called by the refs they provided.

 

BTW, I hope you guys that are "bashing" Billman watch your speed when you travel through Lewis Co. on the AA highway!! :D

If I'm not mistaken the 16th region has sent 2 officials to the girls state tournament the last 3 years. Marla had the championship game last year and Billman had the semi-final and was slated for the final had Rose Hill not made it to the finals the previous year so he was not a first year official to a state tournament last year.

 

Not sure what happened 3 years ago at the girls state tourney but for the last 2 the 16th has been well represented with more than 2 games called by the refs they provided.

 

BTW, I hope you guys that are "bashing" Billman watch your speed when you travel through Lewis Co. on the AA highway!! :D

 

Yeah you better be in his "circle of friends". :laugh:

Go that is a very good post, but you need to hurry and make another you're stuck on a bad # , If Joe is so great how did he only get 1 game at the tourney last year? He is intimadated by certain coaches and arenas in our little area IMO, Joe IMO is in the top 5-7 in this area but not near as compotent as the 2 others mentioned, I'm hoping the 63rd doesn't get him, Maddix, or Anderson this year.

 

Joe DID work more than one game at last year's Sweet 16 and he represented the 16th region well throughout the whole tourney.

Hate to say it, but it will be rare for a 15th or 16th region official to get more than 2 games.

 

I would say Ancie Casey and Jerry Hurley are the only two I know of in the last 15 years.

 

Any others?

 

I'm sorry but that's not true at all. Bobby Hall, Joe Billman, and Bob Craft all went to the Sweet 16 and called numerous games and they all represented the 16th region. The way I understand it to be, it's almost a given that every official who is chosen for the state tournaments gets more than one game. I will find out from someone who has the state tourney experience and would know. There aren't that many officials chosen and they use 3 officials for every game, so that would have to mean that each official gets at least 2 games and the best rated officials are chosen for the Final Four and championship on Saturday. I know that the official does not know who he will be calling until the day before or even the day of the game and they keep it very secretive. They are not supposed to inform anyone of what game they will be calling.

Congrats to Bobby, Joe, and Marla for being chosen to represent the officials of the 16th region. We have many quality officials who could have been chosen but they hit the nail on the head with these three. They are the top tier of basketball officials in the state.

 

I cannot say enough about Bobby Hall and his commitment to officiating. Not only is he THE top notch official but he gives back to officiating by helping the younger officials succeed and that says alot about an official. He has helped me tremendously in basketball officiating to continue to get better and better. I had the honor of calling my first varsity boys game with him and it is a memory that I will not forget. I also got to call that game with my father and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. It was a complete honor to share that experience with them both. Bobby is the consonant professional on the court and any upandcoming official need only to look to him to see the standard. He has recently been hired as the assigning secretary for football and I know he will bring that same professionalism, commitment, and passion to football and will lead us to a bright future.

 

Joe Billman is also a consonant professional and a top notch official. He works many hours training and assigning young officials for the future of our area. He does an excellant job when it comes to teaching young officials. I don't think people realize the work that guys like Joe, Bobby, Daryl, and others put into local officitating. Not just calling games but also training and assigning and many other tasks that go unnoticed by the public and it's all for your kids. Guys like Billman don't drive an hour each way to a school and miss time away from his family because of the pay. They do it for the kids and for their love of the game, sometimes I think people forget that.

 

 

Now I don't know Marla too well and have only worked with her a couple of times but I do know this, she has a bright future in officiating if she chooses. I have been impressed with her everytime I see her call and every time I think "Wow, this girl can call". It's only fitting that she becomes only the 2nd women to call at the boys Sweet 16. She will do an amazing job not only at the Sweet 16 but also at the NAIA Tourney in Missouri. I wish her nothing but the best in Mizzu. I'll say this, this girl will be in the WNBA one day if she chooses to pursue officiating to that level. And this year's Sweet 16 just may be her last HS game she ever calls. I'd hate for the 16th to loose her but she's got bigger games ahead of her in her future.

 

Good Luck to Bobby, Joe, and Marla at the state tourneys this year. I know you will represent the best of what the 16th region has to offer the officiating world.

JOE BILLMAN? Are you serious? If he is one of the top officials that the KHSAA has selected to ref the Sweet 16 then this show we have a lack of quality officials in the state!

Catsfan the NBA has 3 women officials are you saying Marla will only be good enough for the WNBA? Billy Clyde I could not agree more.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.