Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Congrats to 16th Region Officials

Featured Replies

Catsfan the NBA has 3 women officials are you saying Marla will only be good enough for the WNBA? Billy Clyde I could not agree more.

 

The sky is the limit for Marla and who's to say she won't make the NBA, not me. It would be very difficult and she would make the WNBA first but if she has the right training she could possibly make the NBA one day. She has all the tools that they look for, she can get up and down the court, she knows the game well, she sees the game well, and they will train and mold her into the official they want her to be.

  • Replies 68
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cats nothing against you personally,but you said in an earlier post that you are an official an as such your neutrality has to come into play. This thread has shown if nothing else the respect people have for Bobby and Marla an I am sorry if Joe is your friend he does not stack up to the other 2.

:laugh:We better not drive through Lewis Co. in the near future Springsteen!

This just simply is not true. Bobby Hall worked the boys final 2 or 3 years ago. And the year befor he worked the semifinal. He also worked the finals in this years class A championship.

 

The Class A tourney is a great tourney, not the state championships. You get there a different way from an officials standpoint.

 

Having said that, I think my statement will stand easily.

Cats nothing against you personally,but you said in an earlier post that you are an official an as such your neutrality has to come into play. This thread has shown if nothing else the respect people have for Bobby and Marla an I am sorry if Joe is your friend he does not stack up to the other 2.

 

That's fair enough!! You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. You could think that I was horrible official but I would still respect your opinion. I know how difficult this job really is and I know all the hard work and dedication that goes into becoming an official and so I tend to be a sympathizer of officials. Sure, everyone has a bad game every once in a while but that doesn't make you a bad official but unfortunately the people who saw you call that night more than likely have already formed an opinion of you as an official. I'm not saying that that is the case with you, at all. I see these officials call on a regular basis and I know what officials are at the top of the ranks. They are ranked there by area coaches who see them regularly. You may not like Joe as an official but the area coaches who have had him numerous times throughout the year ranked him at the top and that has to account for something. People who know basketball in and out ranked him at the top. That alone would make me think if I were you. Fans tend to look at officials through school colored glasses and that just isn't an honest way to form an opinion of an official. Again, I respect your opinion and just know that there are many people in the area and state who know basketball and officiating that believe that Joe is a very good official.

That's fair enough!! You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that. You could think that I was horrible official but I would still respect your opinion. I know how difficult this job really is and I know all the hard work and dedication that goes into becoming an official and so I tend to be a sympathizer of officials. Sure, everyone has a bad game every once in a while but that doesn't make you a bad official but unfortunately the people who saw you call that night more than likely have already formed an opinion of you as an official. I'm not saying that that is the case with you, at all. I see these officials call on a regular basis and I know what officials are at the top of the ranks. They are ranked there by area coaches who see them regularly. You may not like Joe as an official but the area coaches who have had him numerous times throughout the year ranked him at the top and that has to account for something. People who know basketball in and out ranked him at the top. That alone would make me think if I were you. Fans tend to look at officials through school colored glasses and that just isn't an honest way to form an opinion of an official. Again, I respect your opinion and just know that there are many people in the area and state who know basketball and officiating that believe that Joe is a very good official.

 

I see both sides so we will just have to agree to disagree Cats, it has been fun having this conversation take care.

I've watched Bobby Hall for many years develop from an eager rookie into one of the best officials in the 16th Region. He has a great sense of humor that helps him deal with the crazy things refs see and hear night after night. He's not so thin skinned that a coach can't talk to him during a game without fearing an instant "T". In fact, he probably puts up with more than he should at times just to give a coach the benefit of the doubt. He has a good dose of what used to be called, "common sense" which IMO helps him excercise excellent judgement on what are clearly "judgement" calls that could affect the outcome of a game. As hard as it is to ignore a 6' 4" dude running up and down the floor in a zebra shirt tooting a whistle, he does a good job at blending in with the flow of the game, calling what needs to be called, ignoring what should be ignored, and basically letting the kids play ball. I could easily see him working on a bigger stage some day if he chooses to go that route.

 

I could say similar things about Marla, one of the fabulous Gearhart girls from Carter County who helped make Hop Brown a legend. I have to confess that I had my doubts early on, but the girl's got skills. She does a great job running kids programs at the YMCA, and has worked herself into being a welcome sight in stripes at any game IMO.

 

I have to confess that I haven't seen (or seriously evaluated) enough of Mr. Billman's work to form a solid opinion one way or the other. but it's apparent that he's earned the honor of representing the region in the minds of those who do know his work, and that's something to be respected.

 

Hats off to all three... :thumb:

I agree with this one 100%

I think this is only the second time that 3 officials have been selected to work the state tournament from the 16th region. I know the 16th region had 3 go one year. It is not often that 3 different officials are selected from one region.. Craft; Martin; and Morris; (all 16th region officals) worked the boys state tournament one year. Also Marla was selected to work the NAIA tournament in Missouri. Congratulations to all of you and good luck. We will be rooting for you!!

 

Smith and Boucher are very close.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.