Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

After They Leave....

Featured Replies

I for one am not the biggest Elliot Co. Fan, I am too hard on them at times, and I admit that many times I am in the wrong on doing so.

 

That being said, Elliot Co. has rubbed some teams wrong during the tenure of the so called "Iron Five" the question I ask. When the bulk of the five graduate, and Elliot Co. returns to a somewhat beatable status within the 16th, do you all think that their will be some teams gunning for Elliot Co.

I for one am not the biggest Elliot Co. Fan, I am too hard on them at times, and I admit that many times I am in the wrong on doing so.

 

That being said, Elliot Co. has rubbed some teams wrong during the tenure of the so called "Iron Five" the question I ask. When the bulk of the five graduate, and Elliot Co. returns to a somewhat beatable status within the 16th, do you all think that their will be some teams gunning for Elliot Co.

I'll give the 16th Region Coaches, more class than to be gunning for Elliott.

 

There has been many programs, which had success and certainly, the opponent wanted to beat them. Players have a tendency, to remember games that get out of hand, more than a coach does.

Elliott has taken more than their fair share of beatings in the past. When these kids graduate, it will be more of the same. As for teams gunning for them, they are doing that now... It's more the fans of other teams holding the kids at EC liable for their coaches short comings... Hardest working kids you will ever meet, also some of the most polite and respectful young men I have had the pleasure to be around. Just because one man does things others don't agree with, doesn't mean people in the know (area coaches) will exact revenge over a few years with some excellent ball players.

I'll give the 16th Region Coaches, more class than to be gunning for Elliott.

 

There has been many programs, which had success and certainly, the opponent wanted to beat them. Players have a tendency, to remember games that get out of hand, more than a coach does.

 

Plus, my understanding is that Elliott might be down for a year or two, but have another set of Twins and some other great players coming up thru the Ranks.:thumb:

I will word this carefully. :lol:

 

I will agree with what Strike 3 said and that the 16th coaches will have class and respect Elliott and the struggles they might endure once the NBA team graduates.

 

With that said...

 

I can speak from personal experience of a coach in a region who was very happy to see a particular group of talent graduate, so the "favor could be returned".

 

I won't say what region or whether it was boys or girls. Doesn't make that coach a bad person and it doesn't represent ALL coaches. But I can imagine there are a few people out there who privately are looking forward to the tables being turned, so to speak.

 

I have said it many times, I may not agree with how Elliott has handled their success at times, but it doesn't change the fact that I have a great deal of respect for those kids and how hard they have worked. :thumb:

I will word this carefully. :lol:

 

I will agree with what Strike 3 said and that the 16th coaches will have class and respect Elliott and the struggles they might endure once the NBA team graduates.

 

With that said...

 

I can speak from personal experience of a coach in a region who was very happy to see a particular group of talent graduate, so the "favor could be returned".

 

I won't say what region or whether it was boys or girls. Doesn't make that coach a bad person and it doesn't represent ALL coaches. But I can imagine there are a few people out there who privately are looking forward to the tables being turned, so to speak.

 

I have said it many times, I may not agree with how Elliott has handled their success at times, but it doesn't change the fact that I have a great deal of respect for those kids and how hard they have worked. :thumb:

 

Must be that the coach you speak of is a newbie, otherwise they would have had endless opps. to pound on Elliott. And again, don't blame the kids or the fans for the trangressions of one.

Must be that the coach you speak of is a newbie, otherwise they would have had endless opps. to pound on Elliott. And again, don't blame the kids or the fans for the trangressions of one.

 

No, no this coach wasn't talking about Elliott. It was a coach talking about another situation entirely.

 

I just referenced that story, because I can imagine what some coaches are thinking or saying privately regarding the Elliott situation.

I have seen this happen before. Certain teams who are accustomed to beating other teams crying foul when they are on the losing side. Then, when things are "back to normal" making there own version of a statement to the now depleted teams that were successful before. IMO, Elliott Co. is not the only school in the 16th that some of the less classy individuals are licking their chops for in the future.

I'd say your right, muskateer alum. It don't get any worse than when the 16th's "old money" quit playing a certain team. A team that I might add EC played, took their lumps and then didn't come running to BGP and cry about scores being ran up.

Everyone is entitled to enjoy well-earned success. If you temper that enjoyment with some class and humility, it might not be such a problem. This is just another example of the old adage "Be careful who you step on on the way up..."

  • Author

I believe any future beatings Elliot incurs will be completley Mays's fault for the way he the success.

I believe any future beatings Elliot incurs will be completley Mays's fault for the way he the success.

 

That may very well be true. However, (and I'm not taking up for him because I have less than a good opinion of him or his coaching), I believe that he has always done the best he knows how. Is that right in manys eyes? Probably not. But, as an Elliott fan who is not a supporter of his I honestly believe (right or wrong) that he has never tried to humilate anyone, and has coached to the best of his abilities. Does he play his starters to much? Absolutely! Has he always done that? Absolutely! Was it an issue until he had talent that give the beatings that they usually recieved?

I don't know how these kids play the games these days, but I know when I played, we gunned for everyone on the schedule.

Listen, I coached against Mayes in the 16th. His team beat us to death. The thing was, he had nothing to do with it. He was classy before and after the game. His kids play well and when this group graduates, his kids will continue to play hard just with some less talent. The ups and downs of programs just go that way. In five years, Elliott will be mediocre at best and the next wave in the 16th will have their turn. Good luck to those hard nosed "Iron Five", right up until they have to face the 10th region in the tourney

 

;)

I have wondered this same question and heres the best i could come up with:

1. Some coaches in the area will attempt to embarrass Elliott when the well runs dry in a few years. This isn't true for all teams, but i'm sure at least a few will. It would be hard not to, but I hope coaches remember that humiliating another team hurts the opposing kids worse than it does the other coach. I'm sure Rick Mays has been beaten by 50 points, probably worse, so it would be nothing new to him. And for the last 10 years or so, while Elliott wasn't at this level they were rarely terrible, so it is unlikely that most of the coaches today had anything to do with those losses.

2. Elliotts transgressions this year have nothing to do with the players, they are just kids that love to play basketball. Leaving the starters in to long and allowing your team to beat less talented teams by 50 or more points should be completely reflected on the coach, and that is who I for one, blame it on.

3. This is high school basketball, if a coach wants to do the Bill Belicheck thing and run up the score it's ok. Well, it's not ok, but it is legal and the Khsaa doesn't have any regulations against it.

4. We as fans should root for which ever team comes out of our region to do well at the state tourney. If Elliott makes it i will want the PLAYERS to do well, because they have worked hard to get there.

5. Mays' motives in running up the score in my opinion are simple. More publicity. If he can win a game by 50 points his team looks better. I think he wants to prove that while the 16th isn't that highly regarded he has a good team. It has propelled the Lions to a top 10 ranking at one point in the season, which turned out to be too high, but atleast any team that plays them will respect their abilities.

6. All the scores and the talk have put an unneeded extra-motivational target on EC's back. Everyone in the region knows how good they are and the good teams will be pumped to play them, does Rick Mays have to add fuel to the fire???

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.